The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Feds win battle for privacy of serial killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro over victims' families' requests

PhillipBlunt

11 hours ago, goalie13 said:

That's only justice if you believe in some sort of version of Hell.  I prefer they have to live out their sentences and contemplate what they have done for the rest of their worthless lives.

And while I understand the premise behind it, I also believe we should get rid of the faint hope clause.  Life in prison should mean life in prison.  No chance at parole.  No opportunity to re-victimize the families.

Guy I used to work with, his grandfather died in ADX supermax prison in Colorado.

He was doing hard time, prisons in Europe and Canada are not really that harsh.

Look how nice that prison in Norway is where Breivik is doing “life”

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Guy I used to work with, his grandfather died in ADX supermax prison in Colorado.

He was doing hard time, prisons in Europe and Canada are not really that harsh.

Look how nice that prison in Norway is where Breivik is doing “life”

I guess we can look at crime rates in the US and Norway, and ask why harsher prison time isn't a deterrent in the US? I'm not arguing we should make Canadian prisons easier to be in, but we shouldn't expect harder prison time to have any effect on lowering crime rates. If its decided to do it for punishment, lets be honest about it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess we can look at crime rates in the US and Norway, and ask why harsher prison time isn't a deterrent in the US? I'm not arguing we should make Canadian prisons easier to be in, but we shouldn't expect harder prison time to have any effect on lowering crime rates. If its decided to do it for punishment, lets be honest about it. 

There are countries with even harsher prison conditions but they still have crime.

Just as countries that impose death penalties for drug smuggling still have drugs.

Biggest issue in the U.S are societal and until they get fixed nothing will change.

Chicago media and politicians have been all over ending cash bonds and filling prisons with black and brown youths.

Emonte Morgan was on parole for armed robbery in Wisconsin when he ran over a pedestrian and fled.

He got caught when his car crashed, so Chicago judge gave him probation.

On probation couple of days ago he killed officer Ella French and wounded her partner.

Now the kicker is that she was part of the community policing unit that patrolled the streets, organized sports events, food drives, interacting with the community etc. The kind of thing that people say we need to de escalate tensions between police and the residents. Also his brother was involved in the shooting, mother got arrested for attacking police in the hospital and one of his friends bought a gun for him in Indiana knowing that Emonte is a felon prohibited from owning a gun.

Gun buyer is a teacher with a Master’s degree who claims he is a good guy and not a criminal.

Yeah, big cluster &^@#! 
So until we figure out how to prevent these types of crimes or greatly reduce them, I am in favor of hard prison time and the death penalty. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

There are countries with even harsher prison conditions but they still have crime.

Just as countries that impose death penalties for drug smuggling still have drugs.

Biggest issue in the U.S are societal and until they get fixed nothing will change.

Chicago media and politicians have been all over ending cash bonds and filling prisons with black and brown youths.

Emonte Morgan was on parole for armed robbery in Wisconsin when he ran over a pedestrian and fled.

He got caught when his car crashed, so Chicago judge gave him probation.

On probation couple of days ago he killed officer Ella French and wounded her partner.

Now the kicker is that she was part of the community policing unit that patrolled the streets, organized sports events, food drives, interacting with the community etc. The kind of thing that people say we need to de escalate tensions between police and the residents. Also his brother was involved in the shooting, mother got arrested for attacking police in the hospital and one of his friends bought a gun for him in Indiana knowing that Emonte is a felon prohibited from owning a gun.

Gun buyer is a teacher with a Master’s degree who claims he is a good guy and not a criminal.

Yeah, big cluster &^@#! 
So until we figure out how to prevent these types of crimes or greatly reduce them, I am in favor of hard prison time and the death penalty. 

So many things tied together there. Prison Inc. tho is pretty bad model, assuming you don't want to create criminals with your prison system. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

This guy should just be shot in the head and tossed in a shallow unmarked grave. 

We used to hang these kinds of criminals in Canada, but we don’t anymore.  We put them in prison, and hope to rehabilitate them.  We even have minimum security prisons, where they’re more like villages than prisons.  They have no fences, but they do have tennis courts.  That’s the transition for criminals to re-enter society.  I wonder what the data shows what % of these criminals commit further crime?  For sure is a violent criminal is hanged it would be zero%, right?  

On 8/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, Gnarcore said:

How is Bernardo eligible for parole? We have a 'dangerous offender' statute that can eliminate this. How can he not be declared as such based on the rapes let alone the murders?  

The Surrey 6 killers sued provincial government over prison conditions.

Amongst other things dirty cells and no access to TV and radio.

Canada is Charmin soft on criminals.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:36 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

This isn't about some fictional character who still committed a double murder. It's about predatory humans who take advantage of vulnerability and commit acts of atrocity. You murder people, you lose all rights. Unless, it's done in self-defense there's no excuse. 

No excuse for murder? Really? No excuse at all?

Have you ever heard a Nickleback song?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

We used to hang these kinds of criminals in Canada, but we don’t anymore.  We put them in prison, and hope to rehabilitate them.  We even have minimum security prisons, where they’re more like villages than prisons.  They have no fences, but they do have tennis courts.  That’s the transition for criminals to re-enter society.  I wonder what the data shows what % of these criminals commit further crime?  For sure is a violent criminal is hanged it would be zero%, right?  

I guess it depends on what kind of result you are going for. Outside of the un-reformable creeps that will never get out, what kind of person do you want coming back into society, because they will be coming back. 

The US system produces worse people. Is that really who we want to follow? 

11 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

The Surrey 6 killers sued provincial government over prison conditions.

Amongst other things dirty cells and no access to TV and radio.

Canada is Charmin soft on criminals.

Ok? I guess it depends on whether you'd have a system based on rehabilitation vs. a $&!#hole country full of former felons and obese people like the US. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Ok? I guess it depends on whether you'd have a system based on rehabilitation vs. a $&!#hole country full of former felons and obese people like the US. 

no one likes crime, but its a part of life. Do we want more or less of it? I don't think we should get hung up on the "how" as much as focusing on a safer society. A lot fewer sad family stories is what I want to see. 

11 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I don’t what number of obese people has to do with crime.

Speaking of that 25% of Canada is obese as well, maybe not in Whistler but let’s not pretend that Canada is Japan.

So you think giving criminals lighter sentences is about rehabilitation?

On 8/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

photograph GIFfuck my life fml GIF

I find that picture highly offensive.

When I was a teenager a friend of mine committed suicide by shooting himself in the head in front of a group of us.

And even if I had not had that experience there is nothing remotely amusing about suicide.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:01 PM, CBH1926 said:

I don’t what number of obese people has to do with crime.

Speaking of that 25% of Canada is obese as well, maybe not in Whistler but let’s not pretend that Canada is Japan.

So you think giving criminals lighter sentences is about rehabilitation?

how about a more intelligent approach? I don't have the stats but a high % of people going into jail have been abused and/or are addicts. Expecting some arbitrary amount of time to fix that is kind of ridiculous. It should be based on getting those people healthy in part. 

On 8/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

no one likes crime, but its a part of life. Do we want more or less of it? I don't think we should get hung up on the "how" as much as focusing on a safer society. A lot fewer sad family stories is what I want to see. 

Well if you want to have less crime, understanding the how is kind of how you get there. Difficult to reach the goal of a safer society if you don't understand the problem in the first place. 

• Cheers 2