The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mailloux suspended indefinitely by OHL

Rate this topic

qwijibo

I think this issue was made much worse by Montreal drafting him. His announcement that he felt he hadn’t shown enough maturity to be drafted was a good step in rehabilitating himself and his image. He could have spent some time out of the public eye getting counseling or taking courses and continue to mature.  He could have then asked to be considered for next year’s draft. 

He can still do this but Montreal drafting him put him back in the spotlight needlessly. I’m sure that the OHL will consider his reinstatement if he continues to show that he has learned. Maybe even do some speaking engagements with youth groups about this issue. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

The guy has done everything the courts wanted him to do. That is supposed to be the end of it.

People are always judged on their character though. The kid said no don't draft me, but then when Montreal comes around with a half-baked plan he knew about he says sure draft me. 

No character, just like Bergevin. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I don't believe for one second that he didn't know about Montreals plans to take him. Not one. 

So despite his wish to be taken out of the draft you believe at some point Montreal told him they were going to draft him?

Or they  asked him if it was okay that they draft him,?

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

So despite his wish to be taken out of the draft you believe at some point Montreal told him they were going to draft him?

Or they  asked him if it was okay that they draft him,?

Do you seriously believe that Molson would have that letter ready so fast for fans about how the kid would be in counselling, etc. without talking to the kids agent ahead of time? come on. 

What the kid did was really creepy. Yes he's clear of his criminal responsibilities. Still a creep. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 2

If you know you are taking him, yes, you have the letter drawn up before hand. That doesn't mean Mailloux knew he was getting drafted.

You draft the kid, call the agent and say "This is how we are doing this"

The agent and player now have a choice to make in mere minutes. Agree or not he's Montreal's "property". Easiest thing in the word is to just go along

This is no different from the Mitchell Miller situation (Coyotes draft pick). He abused a fellow human being. Both actions are reprehensible. @gurn wadr, yes we all have sex, but it should be private and not shared without consent.I do understand your point, but it is moot.

As the father of a daughter above the age of consent (the victim age does not matter btw) I can emphasize with this young woman. Why should anyone expect that such an intimate act would be shared with anyone else or especially online with the world? This young man, due to his immaturity decided for both parties involved. This act of selfishness digresses into a much deeper issue that could involve his upbringing. 
Either way, he has paid his penalty regardless of whether or not he as learned a lesson. I am not here to judge him or anyone else. Hopefully both these young people can move on to lead happy, productive lives without judgement from the masses.

Edited by CaptKirk888
Grammer
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

If you know you are taking him, yes, you have the letter drawn up before hand. That doesn't mean Mailloux knew he was getting drafted.

You draft the kid, call the agent and say "This is how we are doing this"

The agent and player now have a choice to make in mere minutes. Agree or not he's Montreal's "property". Easiest thing in the word is to just go along

Montreal doesn't take the risk of picking him without clearing it with his agent first. They clearly knew it would be controversial and they would have made sure he didn't also cause some sort of social media issue on top of that. 

If they didn't, Bergevin is an even bigger idiot. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Montreal doesn't take the risk of picking him without clearing it with his agent first

This seems like your opinion, though.

I'm sure they knew it would be controversial, I just don't  see any proof that Mailloux or his agent knew he was going to be drafted by Montreal.

I think Montreal did the wrong thing in this case. He said he wanted to sit one out' and they should have let him.

But if he had not opted out of the draft, I'd be ok with them taking him.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'm sure they knew it would be controversial, I just don't  see any proof that Mailloux or his agent knew he was going to be drafted by Montreal.

I think Montreal did the wrong thing in this case. He said he wanted to sit one out' and they should have let him.

This relates to my only other post on this subject IMO perhaps Montreal has decided this young man has learned his lesson. They extended ‘the olive leaf’ to this boy - thinking it was an act of immaturity and a mistake based on that point. We all make mistakes when we are young and ‘stupid’. What we learn from those mistakes, and the actions we take, determines our future. 
Reference ‘Leap of faith’ or ‘take a ‘flyer’ ‘ or a ‘second chance’ etc etc. None of us here can proclaim what is going through this kid’s head or which ‘adults’ are influencing his decision.

most of us need forgiveness at times. No disrespect here, just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

it is. Its also reading the situation. If Bergevin really risked his 1st round pick this way he's an idiot. I don't like him, but I just don't see him playing that risky of a game with an already controversial pick. 

The kids agent also said some shady stuff too, like getting ahead of "cancel culture." 

I'd bet the farm they made sure the kid was willing to play for them. It would be very easy to get someone to run it by the agent. 

I guess I'm a little surprised you'd be fine with the kid being picked, but to each their own I guess. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This relates to my only other post on this subject IMO perhaps Montreal has decided this young man has learned his lesson. They extended ‘the olive leaf’ to this boy - thinking it was an act of immaturity and a mistake based on that point. We all make mistakes when we are young and ‘stupid’. What we learn from those mistakes, and the actions we take, determines our future. 
Reference ‘Leap of faith’ or ‘take a ‘flyer’ ‘ or a ‘second chance’ etc etc. None of us here can proclaim what is going through this kid’s head or which ‘adults’ are influencing his decision.

most of us need forgiveness at times. No disrespect here, just my opinion.

The problem with that take is that the kid literally said that he was not mature enough to be drafted and asked that no one do it.  So whether or not Montreal thought he had learnt his lesson the kid himself said he wasn't ready.

7 minutes ago, thrago said:

The problem with that take is that the kid literally said that he was not mature enough to be drafted and asked that no one do it.  So whether or not Montreal thought he had learnt his lesson the kid himself said he wasn't ready.

Based on what? So adults are not advising him on his future? Or is he saying what he is told to say? We do not know and that is part of my point:

Edited by CaptKirk888
Grammar

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

The apology and the request not to be drafted were undoubtedly hugely influenced by his agent/advisor.  Both of those actions,  in the big picture,  cost this person absolutely nothing (his hockey career likely wouldn't have been that different if he waited a year for the draft anyway)

Other than these moves, what shred of tangible evidence do we have that indicates he's matured/learned in any way/shape/form from his actions? 

I'm not trying to instigate you or belittle your comment,  I'm genuinely wondering why you, and some others here sharing similar comments,  believe this person has learned anything from this incident other than the fact that a certain amount of time has passed and he jumped through some PR hoops to make it look like he was remorseful?

Well to be clear I don't know anything for certain either way no one does, but hardships and adversity are generally what mature people.  That being said I in no way gave him any sort of pass, like I said if you do significant damage to another person you need to pay the piper.  I also said that a fine and a couple months suspension isn't much of a punishment.  Most of his punishment has been societal at this point. 

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Based on what? So adults are not advising him on his future? Or is he saying what he is told to say? We do not know and that is part of my point:

Regardless of who's advice he took when he made the statement and I'm sure he had plenty.  He made the statement and Montreal Should not have drafted him. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, thrago said:

Regardless of who's advice he took when he made the statement and I'm sure he had plenty.  He made the statement and Montreal Should not have drafted him. 

You are missing my point, but that’s ok, no judgement here.

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You are missing my point, but that’s ok, no judgement here.

I might be, I'm not judging you either.  My point was that Montreal didn't have the right IMO to make that choice.  Had he not made the statement that he didn't want to be drafted regardless of who's advice he took (he obviously thought that advice was the best course to take) I would have been fine with Montreal drafting him and putting out a statement that they would get him counselling. Either way he did what he did and Montreal did what they did, they both need to live with the consequences.  The only one that I feel bad for in the end is the girl as she is living with the consequences and she made none of the decisions that led to them.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, thrago said:

I might be, I'm not judging you either.  My point was that Montreal didn't have the right IMO to make that choice.  Had he not made the statement that he didn't want to be drafted regardless of who's advice he took (he obviously thought that advice was the best course to take) I would have been fine with Montreal drafting him and putting out a statement that they would get him counselling. Either way he did what he did and Montreal did what they did, they both need to live with the consequences.  The only one that I feel bad for in the end is the girl as she is living with the consequences and she made none of the decisions that led to them.  

Fair enough, I do see your point and I don’t disagree, it is very valid. I just want you and everyone else with their opinions to see that every action is not as it may seem. We simply don’t know. But that is the point of these forums, to state our thoughts and opinions. And that my friend is golden, have a great night. I am signing off to have dinner and time with my family. Have a great night, I enjoyed our discussion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Fair enough, I do see your point and I don’t disagree, it is very valid. I just want you and everyone else with their opinions to see that every action is not as it may seem. We simply don’t know. But that is the point of these forums, to state our thoughts and opinions. And that my friend is golden, have a great night. I am signing off to have dinner and time with my family. Have a great night, I enjoyed our discussion.

Yep was fun, have a great dinner with the Fam.