The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mailloux suspended indefinitely by OHL

Rate this topic

qwijibo

i'm actually interested to know why montreal used their 1st round pick on him instead of using say their 7th round pick? was there another team out there that were gonna gamble with the negative press and draft him in the subsuqent round?? i thought it was pretty clear no team was gonna draft him lol bergy prolly coulda drafted another and then picked this guy up with his last pick lol

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

was there another team out there that were gonna gamble with the negative press and draft him in the subsuqent round?? 

Unfortunately yes.

From the article linked below,  which I highly recommend:

Further, it was confirmed to EP that Mailloux would have been selected in the second round on Saturday if Montreal did not take him in the first.

https://eprinkside.com/2021/07/29/logan-mailloux-column

i'm actually interested to know why montreal used their 1st round pick on him instead of using say their 7th round pick? was there another team out there that were gonna gamble with the negative press and draft him in the subsuqent round?? i thought it was pretty clear no team was gonna draft him lol bergy prolly coulda drafted another and then picked this guy up with his last pick lol

There were reports that a number of teams were considering taking him in the 2nd round.  I don’t know if there’s anything to that. But the kid has 1st round talent and I don’t doubt other teams were willing to take the chance on him 

Edited by qwijibo

I kind of got the impression that Montreal actually just didn't know about the incident.  

I think they shat the bed and saw a really good prospect available and took him.

They seemed surprised by the reaction and put out some statements after that were pretty generic.

Edited by DrJockitch

15 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

This is no different from the Mitchell Miller situation (Coyotes draft pick). He abused a fellow human being. Both actions are reprehensible. @gurn wadr, yes we all have sex, but it should be private and not shared without consent.I do understand your point, but it is moot.

As the father of a daughter above the age of consent (the victim age does not matter btw) I can emphasize with this young woman. Why should anyone expect that such an intimate act would be shared with anyone else or especially online with the world? This young man, due to his immaturity decided for both parties involved. This act of selfishness digresses into a much deeper issue that could involve his upbringing. 
Either way, he has paid his penalty regardless of whether or not he as learned a lesson. I am not here to judge him or anyone else. Hopefully both these young people can move on to lead happy, productive lives without judgement from the masses.

These situations are a little different......Mitchell Miller I believe bullied and physical beat up a special needs kid and made him eat out of an urinal. Not the same thing as filming a girl give consensual oral sex, but that's just me. Not saying what he did was not wrong either. 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I kind of got the impression that Montreal actually just didn't know about the incident.  

I think they shat the bed and saw a really good prospect available and took him.

They seemed surprised by the reaction and put out some statements after that were pretty generic.

how could they not know? scouts know everything possible about prospects. 

there was also clearly discussion with the kids agent about being picked, there's no other way Montreal would know there were other teams interested in picking him in a later round. Its not like teams talk to each other about who they will all pick, but the agent for this kid would have a vested interest in letting Montreal know that. 

55 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

They 100% knew about it and acknowledged so immediately after selecting him.

Remember, Bergevin is still shamelessly sticking to the story that he didn't know anything about the sexual assaults in Chicago while he was their Director of Player Personnel - meanwhile numerous players on the team at the time corroborated that EVERYONE on the team knew what was happening. 

This article sums up Bergevin and his actions pretty well:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946336-montreal-canadiens-selection-of-logan-mailloux-is-callous-and-ignorant

Hadn't seen that, thanks.

Bergevin is having a bad offseason.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

They 100% knew about it and acknowledged so immediately after selecting him.

Remember, Bergevin is still shamelessly sticking to the story that he didn't know anything about the sexual assaults in Chicago while he was their Director of Player Personnel - meanwhile numerous players on the team at the time corroborated that EVERYONE on the team knew what was happening. 

This article sums up Bergevin and his actions pretty well:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946336-montreal-canadiens-selection-of-logan-mailloux-is-callous-and-ignorant

I'd forgotten about Berge and the Blackhawk fiasco.

T

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

because it seems to be an unearned and as yet undeserved 2nd chance. From your posts usually you seem to be more about fairness than that. 

He has done his court ordered penalty, thus he deserves his second chance. 

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

From your posts usually you seem to be more about fairness than that. 

I could say the same about you JM.

I do have a great deal of respect for you and your values.

However we can only judge this incident on the information we have access to.

He did a terrible thing.

He broke a trust,and humiliated another person,actions he would not want happening to him.

He has apologised.

He stated that he did not want to be drafted.

There is only rumour stating that he knew that he would be drafted.

He has attended counselling,he has publicly acknowledged his actions were wrong and wants to work in the community to help others learn from his mistakes.

He is a teenage kid who made a stupid mistake like we all have done excepting some of our mistakes didn't have the negative impact on others lives as his has done.

Should this define the rest of his life ?

Should he be made to pay a price for the rest of his life for what he has done ?

I like @gurn believe in second chances,what I am uncertain about is the price this kid must pay before he has earned peoples trust and the right to play hockey.

I will say this I did some dumbass things in my teens,never really hurting others  excepting others that were trying to hurt me,however I am glad I am not a kid growing up with social media in today's world.

Indeed this forum is the only form of social media I indulge in.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:41 PM, Bounce000 said:

I feel bad for the kid... he seemed genuinely sorry for what he did and owned his mistake. You would of thought he was strangling puppies the way people are punishing him

Yes being sorry for what he did totally makes up for the Woman's life he ruined 

On 9/2/2021 at 3:41 PM, Rubik said:

is this the "sharing some of her nudes" story? because then your statement is just laughable.

He didn’t just share the nudes of her in the sexual act, he also shared her name and personal information and Instagram id. I feel that’s the malicious part and have zero sympathy for whatever happens to him. 

• Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I could say the same about you JM.

I do have a great deal of respect for you and your values.

However we can only judge this incident on the information we have access to.

He did a terrible thing.

He broke a trust,and humiliated another person,actions he would not want happening to him.

He has apologised.

He stated that he did not want to be drafted.

There is only rumour stating that he knew that he would be drafted.

He has attended counselling,he has publicly acknowledged his actions were wrong and wants to work in the community to help others learn from his mistakes.

He is a teenage kid who made a stupid mistake like we all have done excepting some of our mistakes didn't have the negative impact on others lives as his has done.

Should this define the rest of his life ?

Should he be made to pay a price for the rest of his life for what he has done ?

I like @gurn believe in second chances,what I am uncertain about is the price this kid must pay before he has earned peoples trust and the right to play hockey.

I will say this I did some dumbass things in my teens,never really hurting others  excepting others that were trying to hurt me,however I am glad I am not a kid growing up with social media in today's world.

Indeed this forum is the only form of social media I indulge in.

He only apologized when it blew up in his face. Do you believe that if she had stayed silent, he'd be remorseful? 

I also believe that he knew he was going to be selected, there's just too much information that his agent passed on to other teams for him not to know. 

It just strains credibility to think he didn't know. And yet he didn't demand MTL or some other team not pick him. So his public speech about not wanting to be picked was fake. 

So far all the kid has done is what he's had to do, and he didn't live up to his own statements. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

He only apologized when it blew up in his face. Do you believe that if she had stayed silent, he'd be remorseful? 

I also believe that he knew he was going to be selected, there's just too much information that his agent passed on to other teams for him not to know. 

It just strains credibility to think he didn't know. And yet he didn't demand MTL or some other team not pick him. So his public speech about not wanting to be picked was fake. 

So far all the kid has done is what he's had to do, and he didn't live up to his own statements. 

100% agree.  The Agent was likely working with the Habs from early on and both had their PR departments involved in a very calculated action to make this guy the victim.  The guy is slime, as is Bergevin. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

100% agree.  The Agent was likely working with the Habs from early on and both had their PR departments involved in a very calculated action to make this guy the victim.  The guy is slime, as is Bergevin. 

there were likely other teams looking at day 2 of the draft to maybe try to sneak it under the radar. 

Its funny to me that people are giving the kid credit for "owning it". Sure, easy to do once you're picked and there's no real consequence. 

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

He only apologized when it blew up in his face. Do you believe that if she had stayed silent, he'd be remorseful

Not to mention that the victims statement is, she asked for an apology and all she got was a half-assed 2 line text. I could care less if he has said all the right things in front of the media. Those statements only benefit himself and further his own career. The only person that matters in this story in the young woman. Unless more has happened behind the scenes we don't know about, her statement is, he did the absolute bare minimum he could do to try to make amends.  

• Vintage 1