The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mailloux suspended indefinitely by OHL

Rate this topic

qwijibo

On one hand, what Mailloux did wasn't good. On the other hand, there seems to be no room or opportunity for him to change. Yes, there will be consequences, but at what point is the punishment 'enough'?

We can talk about playing hockey being a privilege, but what about other forms of employment? Logan Mailloux is undoubtedly more famous/recognizable than I am, but him getting a job at a local store might be next to impossible due to the optics involved.

I am not defending Mailloux in any way. What he did was bad - full stop.

There are some things you just CANNOT do in society. This is understood. Some mistakes result in heavy consequences, so you just don't do it, even if your morality clock is broken. All I am questioning is when is the punishment 'enough'? If some places like Russia give employment opportunities to the rejected, how useful is that said punishment?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

On one hand, what Mailloux did wasn't good, there seems to be no room or opportunity for him to change. Yes, there will be consequences, but at what point is the punishment 'enough'?

We can talk about playing hockey being a privilege, but what about other forms of employment? Logan Mailloux is undoubtedly more famous/recognizable than I am, but him getting a job at a local store might be next to impossible due to the optics involved.

There are some things you just CANNOT do in society. This is understood. Some mistakes result in heavy consequences, so you just don't do it, even if your morality clock is broken. All I am questioning is when is the punishment 'enough'? If some places like Russia give employment opportunities to the rejected, how useful is that said punishment?

It usually depends on the person, the context and the severity of the mistake/crime they committed. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

On one hand, what Mailloux did wasn't good. On the other hand, there seems to be no room or opportunity for him to change. Yes, there will be consequences, but at what point is the punishment 'enough'?

I suspect this is as much  about optics as punishment.  He can apply for reinstatement January 1st.  If they ignore the counselling and efforts he’s making at that point then it’s  cancel culture at work 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I remember I snapped a girls bra back in grade 7 and will never forget the reaction from the girl and the scolding I received from the principal. That incident and consequence taught me a huge lesson. i have never once disrespected females since then (over 30 years ago). This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and deserves everything that has come and is coming his way.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

I remember I snapped a girls bra back in grade 7 and will never forget the reaction from the girl and the scolding I received from the principal. That incident and consequence taught me a huge lesson. i have never once disrespected females since then (over 30 years ago). This kid knew what he was doing was wrong and deserves everything that has come and is coming his way.

Yeah as a young kid I remember going to the pool as a class in grade 5, playing underwater tag and accidentally tearing off a girls bottom when I was it(trying to tag her). 

Holy crap the $&!# I got in from so many different parties(girl’s much older bro, my parents, the school)

Side note.

Imagine getting in a fight as a kid in elementary school and the principal tells you and the other guy to reenact the fight in slow-motion in front of your class…

Safe to say I was a bit of a problem child. Thankfully I matured the right way and became lot more of gentlemanly. 

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

I feel bad for the kid... he seemed genuinely sorry for what he did and owned his mistake. You would of thought he was strangling puppies to the way people are punishing him

Not gonna get into an argument with you over this but strangling a puppy is objectively worse in your opinion than what he did to that girl? 

He has likely ruined a womens life. Deserves every thing coming to him. 

• Wat 3

Will be curious if this sticks or he fights it as it happened out of country when the league was shutdown.  

I think from what he has said publicly that he likely will accept the punishment.

Don't like what he did but he has seemed to try to make some recompense, I don't know specifically how that has looked for the young woman he victimized.

This kid has shown more maturity in accepting and owning up to this mistake than Evander Kane has anything he has done (and he just keeps getting rewarded it seems).

It is all very unfortunate and I hope there is a reasonable way out of this for his victim and to a lesser extent him.  People (especially young ones) make mistakes and deserve chances to try to correct them or at least try to make up for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I suspect this is as much  about optics as punishment.  He can apply for reinstatement January 1st.  If they ignore the counselling and efforts he’s making at that point then it’s  cancel culture at work 

Likely to be the case; a sincere effort to make amends in the way one can simply isn't enough anymore. You're guilty forever, basically. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's paid a fine and gotten suspended from playing in the OHL for a few months so far, barely any punishment at all really.  I will say this though I think that he has matured a lot over this and I doubt he is complaining about the suspension.  He asked not to be drafted but the Habs did it anyways, which just added fuel to the fire for the kid.  I don't think he was being malicious when he shared the photo, I think he was just being a dumb kid who did something without thinking it through.  I think/hope he has learnt his lesson, but you still have to pay the piper when you negatively effect someone else's life to this extent. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

I feel bad for the kid... he seemed genuinely sorry for what he did and owned his mistake. You would of thought he was strangling puppies the way people are punishing him

What makes you say this. I'm not doing any further research to pull quotes, but I did previously so I'm going off memory. The victim of the photographs made a statement after it happened, what she wanted was a genuine appolgy. What she received was a 2 sentence text. What about that makes it seem like he's genuinely sorry for what he did? I half assed text isn't now you appolgies for doing something so heinous to another person.

He has said all the right things to media and in interviews since being drafted. But who's to say that isn't because of the coaching of his agent, and the Montreal Canadiens. To me the most telling statement is that of the victim, who says she never received the appology she needed to attempt to get closure on what happened.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, thrago said:

I will say this though I think that he has matured a lot over this and I doubt he is complaining

The apology and the request not to be drafted were undoubtedly hugely influenced by his agent/advisor.  Both of those actions,  in the big picture,  cost this person absolutely nothing (his hockey career likely wouldn't have been that different if he waited a year for the draft anyway)

Other than these moves, what shred of tangible evidence do we have that indicates he's matured/learned in any way/shape/form from his actions? 

I'm not trying to instigate you or belittle your comment,  I'm genuinely wondering why you, and some others here sharing similar comments,  believe this person has learned anything from this incident other than the fact that a certain amount of time has passed and he jumped through some PR hoops to make it look like he was remorseful?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

The guy has done everything the courts wanted him to do. That is supposed to be the end of it.

It's supposed to be, it's not. Countless cases of ex-cons having extreme difficulty finding employment after criminal charges shows us that.  Imo, what he did was much worse then selling weed, and there are thousands of cases of people's lives being ruined for being convicted of that.

I see where you are coming from, but that is a naive statement based off how the criminal justice system works.