The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spencer Martin | #30 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

When Demko comes back and ready to play they will have 3 goalies..

Martin - 27 - 3.94 GAA - signed next season 1 way contract 750,000

Delia - 28 -- 2.94 GAA - UFA

I think Martin will be put on waivers teams might not claim him with his contract?

Nothing wrong with his contract.  It's one way, but that only leaves out a team like Phoenix, who are saving money rather than cap space.  A 750k contract can be completely buried in the minors.  The real question is whether Martin would be picked up by a team that needs a goalie. 

9 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Nothing wrong with his contract.  It's one way, but that only leaves out a team like Phoenix, who are saving money rather than cap space.  A 750k contract can be completely buried in the minors.  The real question is whether Martin would be picked up by a team that needs a goalie. 

No matter which tender is sent to Abby they will help in the Calder run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Spencer Martin gets sent to a team that doesn’t mind playing D, and is the first star. Maybe the Canuck problem is not the goalie, but the utterly pathetic team defence. Heck, let’s just say it, any team would be better without JB’s brilliant 7.2 mil signing of the D who can’t defend. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

So Spencer Martin gets sent to a team that doesn’t mind playing D, and is the first star. Maybe the Canuck problem is not the goalie, but the utterly pathetic team defence. Heck, let’s just say it, any team would be better without JB’s brilliant 7.2 mil signing of the D who can’t defend. 

OEL sits out most of the game last night and the Canucks are competitive. I am hoping he buys into what Toccett is selling but not convinced to date. Why would fans in Vancouver question why Martin and Delia would not start guessing about their games when the d-side is simply not there many nights. The shots come from everywhere. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

OEL sits out most of the game last night and the Canucks are competitive. I am hoping he buys into what Toccett is selling but not convinced to date. Why would fans in Vancouver question why Martin and Delia would not start guessing about their games when the d-side is simply not there many nights. The shots come from everywhere. 

Our owner needs to okay an OEL buyout this summer. And buyout Garland too. 

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Geez Alf, I can see little interest in OEL but Garland should be tradeable. I actually don't have a serious problem carrying him into next year. I am more concerned about moving Boeser. He doesn't drive play and not strong on the d-side. Not sure what the market would be for either Boeser or Garland. Another 2 weeks will tell the tale. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sadly I don't see any resolution to the OEL problem, thank you JB

Yeah, they can't even retain $ to move him at this point. No team will take him without a high pick

or grade A prospect.

I think they will have to buy him out.  Spreading out his cap over 8yrs, starting next season.

It's the only way to unload that contract.  Savings for the 1st four years and then $2.126 x 4yrs.

It sucks, but at least we won't have to watch his rapid decline.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:10 AM, Alflives said:

I agree with an OEL buyout, but not Garland. OEL is a total disvalue, but Garland can still play. It’s expensive cap wise to buy guys out. Garland can probably be traded at some point, and it is not urgent yet. OEL is awful on the ice and costs us a lot of hockey games, and he is untradeable. He has a full no-trade and has insisted he will he will use it. The cap cost of an OEL buyout is as follows: 

2023-24.     147k

2024-25.  2,347k

2025-26.  4,767k

2026-27.  4,767k

2027-28   2,127k

2028-29.  2,127k

2029-30.  2,127k

2029-30.  2,127k

You really don’t want too much of that running off into the future, especially if you have to eat money (and cap) to shed additional contracts. OEL is a total liability, but Garland is not, at some point he will likely be tradeable. Adding Garland to the OEL buyout would be like paying for a top six contract for a player you don’t have. And we still need to re-sign Pettersson, which will be very expensive. 2025-26 and 2026-27 are going to be a squeeze as it is.

I have concern (not wishing them any ill will) that Poolman or Pearson will play for us again - so we may be carrying a lot of LTIR. Demko’s recovery has also been set back, and that too is concerning.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:36 AM, johngould21 said:

Garland is worth more in a trade than Boeser will ever be. Why would they buy him out? This retention money is really going to bite for many years.

Not buying OEL out means 7.2 mil a year and we are stuck with the league’s worst +/- D. Better to buy him out, and use that slot in the lineup to bring on new young D’s Either of Wolanin or Brisebois are better. I like they way both of them comported themselves against Boston. But for a puck in Bear’s face, we might have pulled that one out - at last they are playing with structure. Love the way Colliton has brought on the young guys. Like the influence of Foote on the D in Van.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Not buying OEL out means 7.2 mil a year and we are stuck with the league’s worst +/- D. Better to buy him out, and use that slot in the lineup to bring on new young D’s Either of Wolanin or Brisebois are better. I like they way both of them comported themselves against Boston. But for a puck in Bear’s face, we might have pulled that one out - at last they are playing with structure. Love the way Colliton has brought on the young guys. Like the influence of Foote on the D in Van.

I was referring to buying out Garland and/or Boeser which made no sense to me. Those two can be traded even if for minimal assets. OEL not so much I would assume. But, you never know maybe an Eastern team will see some LTIR cap money on the horizon.