The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I wish they negotiated a drop dead date on the decision...this is insulting to the millions of hockey players in the world who would give their kidney to have an NHL contract. Even as a fan I am stymied by the lack of foresight and decisiveness. I was okay with him signing here to play, but at this point, with two preseason games gone by and him having a contract: he needs to define his intentions YESTERDAY.  No patience for millionaire crybabies. 

There is a date.  Hamonic has to decide by Oct. 1, according to Friedman, whether he will play or not this season.

19 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I wish they negotiated a drop dead date on the decision...this is insulting to the millions of hockey players in the world who would give their kidney to have an NHL contract. Even as a fan I am stymied by the lack of foresight and decisiveness. I was okay with him signing here to play, but at this point, with two preseason games gone by and him having a contract: he needs to define his intentions YESTERDAY.  No patience for millionaire crybabies. 

They have, it's been referenced a lot of times, both on this board and in the media. The drop dead date on decision to opt out is this Friday.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Didn't say it was him.  Benning himself conceded that they aren't 100% vaccinated yet by saying that they will be by the start of the season - he didn't say they were now. 

He didn't say that they weren't now. It's all idle speculation that they are not, started by the media and fans! Nothing else. Find me a single report saying that we have anyone not vaccinated, that is not just speculation!

I don't think they've gotten everyone in games yet, so they'll want to see what they bring, and then decide. 

My guess is:

- Klimovich plays in the Q

- Di Guiseppe, Petan, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Bailey, Hunt and Burroughs have a chance to play NHL games

- Pettersson and Hughes miss the start of the regular season, and Canucks fans freak out

- Pettersson and Hughes eventually re-sign and the Canucks go on a run, making the playoffs and going deep

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He didn't say that they weren't now. It's all idle speculation that they are not, started by the media and fans! Nothing else. Find me a single report saying that we have anyone not vaccinated, that is not just speculation!

Benning said they will be 100% by the start of the season.  He didn't say now.   It's 2 weeks after the 2nd dose for a player to be considered fully vaccinated.

He also said that there were some players that were harder to convince than others but that they didn't have too many of them - ie not every player just accepted the vaccine.

In August the vaccination rate was 85% around the league per Daly.  The NHLPA then started telling players that there was a risk that they could lose salary due to quarantine requirements.  That likely prompted quite a few more to get the vaccine.   Daly announced 98% earlier this month and predicted that there'll be less than 10-15 players unvaccinated.

Per Russo some players were hoping that the NHL would apply for national interest exemption which would have allowed to skip the quarantine requirements to enter Canada - unlike last season the NHL didn't ask for that exemption.  He spoke to a player on the NHLPA who said that 80% of the guys think that everyone should be vaccinated while 20% believed it's stupid but once guys were being told they would miss pay they started changing their tune.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning said they will be 100% by the start of the season.  He didn't say now.   It's 2 weeks after the 2nd dose for a player to be considered fully vaccinated.

He also said that there were some players that were harder to convince than others but that they didn't have too many of them - ie not every player just accepted the vaccine.

In August the vaccination rate was 85% around the league per Daly.  The NHLPA then started telling players that there was a risk that they could lose salary due to quarantine requirements.  That likely prompted quite a few more to get the vaccine.   Daly announced 98% earlier this month and predicted that there'll be less than 10-15 players unvaccinated.

Per Russo some players were hoping that the NHL would apply for national interest exemption which would have allowed to skip the quarantine requirements to enter Canada - unlike last season the NHL didn't ask for that exemption.  He spoke to a player on the NHLPA who said that 80% of the guys think that everyone should be vaccinated while 20% believed it's stupid but once guys were being told they would miss pay they started changing their tune.

Okay, so nothing you have said here, in any way shape or form, means that Hamonic isn't vaccinated.

You could have just said that you can't provide a source saying that he isn't vaccinated

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Okay, so nothing you have said here, in any way shape or form, means that Hamonic isn't vaccinated.

You could have just said that you can't provide a source saying that he isn't vaccinated

I never said he wasn't vaccinated.  His vaccination status hasn't been disclosed.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think they've gotten everyone in games yet, so they'll want to see what they bring, and then decide. 

My guess is:

- Di Guiseppe, Petan, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Bailey, Hunt and Burroughs have a chance to play NHL games

- Pettersson and Hughes miss the start of the regular season, and Canucks fans freak out

- Pettersson and Hughes eventually re-sign and the Canucks go on a run, making the playoffs and going deep

Last year they needed 20 plus games to start actually playing hockey then Petey got injured.

I bet there will be a frustrating losing streak following their return to the line up

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is:

Will be shocked if Pettersson and Hughes are not signed before the start of the season.

I think Klimovich has shown so far, that he's not going to really learn anything in the Q. I think he needs a higher level of competition to round out his game.

Once we have everyone in place, I do believe that this is a team that could go deep in the playoffs. We have a well rounded team in general.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Are you praying for anyone in particular to survive the cuts?   ;)

Praying would be a strong word considering I've never done it before :lol: maybe religiously was too strong of an implication...

But to answer your question, I think Lockwood and Gadjovich both deserve a longer look. I think they might need to see exactly where Woo is at as well considering the Hamonic situation.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Will be shocked if Pettersson and Hughes are not signed before the start of the season.

I think Klimovich has shown so far, that he's not going to really learn anything in the Q. I think he needs a higher level of competition to round out his game.

Once we have everyone in place, I do believe that this is a team that could go deep in the playoffs. We have a well rounded team in general.

I'd also prefer to send him to the AHL as his English won't improve as much in the Q.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'd also prefer to send him to the AHL as his English won't improve as much in the Q.

I think we take care of Klimovich, oversee his development and in a year or 18 months from now, we have a highly skilled, complete player, ready for top 6 NHL minutes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Rathbone and Myers can’t play together lol.  The 961089 is Bure, Tikkanen, Mogilny.   And I used to like Juolevi, it’s only the last couple years I’ve lost interest in him. Craig Button was Brutal tho. He pulled no punches on OJ.  

Button was always a Juolevi supporter. He's done a 180 here. Looks like this chapter has ended.

Its a good thing we have other good young promising players that are on the cusp of being NHL players.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think we take care of Klimovich, oversee his development and in a year or 18 months from now, we have a highly skilled, complete player, ready for top 6 NHL minutes.

I'm inclined to agree.  Getting the steal of the draft certainly softens the blow from trading our first.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Does Klimovich contract slide if he plays in the Q?  If so, it might be better to play him in the Q, so that the team has 1 more year of control.  If not, the AHL for sure.