The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I would rather be hopeful and earn the right to cheer when the goings good like 2011 and 94, instead of pretend fans who sh*t on every single thing but when the team is good not only join the loyal fans but are the ones that are complete tools towards other fanbases and do dumb sh*t like riot or pick fight in the name of canuck nation.

Let's all hope there are a few sober, moderate examples, in between these raging and/or passionate, extreme sides of the fan-spectrum.

5 hours ago, Hockey God said:

Hang on ... I'm old, but if my memory is correct, Garland played quite a few games as a LW with both the Coyotes and in the Q.  So, since Green doesn't know how to use his players effectively, let me take a shot ... 

Garland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Miller Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Lammikko Chiasson

Give Podz a good player on his line like Miller, and see what the kid can do, and The Hog deserves to be on the 2nd line.

Wait, Brock is injured long term ... okay then ...

Garland Pettersson Podzkolzin

Miller Horvat Hoglander

Pearson Dickinson Chiasson

Highmore Lammikko Bailey

Bailey already cleared waivers and has reported to the Abbotsford Canucks. So your 4th line RW option with the 2nd scenario (Boeser on IR) needs to be fixed. With Petan, Dowling, and MacEwen still on the roster, my bet is that Zach MacEwen would be the designated RW. 

If Chiasson is signed on Tuesday Oct 12th sometime before the first game, then at least one forward would have to be put on waivers for sending to Abbotsford Canucks AHL team (perhaps either Petan or Dowling) to keep us to compliant to the 23-man roster limit (usually teams carry 13 FW, 8D and 2G). I think that is what Jim Benning meant by carving out a spot for Chiasson if he is signed.

On the other hand, if Chiasson is released then one of the other forwards who can play both sides would likely switch to 3rd line RW and Zack will be RW on the 4th line. And there would be no need to put anyone on waivers.

My gut feeling is that we will see the following if Chiasson is released:

Miller Pettersson Podzkolzin

Pearson Horvat Garland

Highmore Dickinson Hoglander

Petan Lammikko MacEwen

OEL Myers
Hughes Poolman
Rathbone Schenn
Burroughs

Scratches / Extra: Dowling, Hunt

Demko
Halak

Edited by SuitcaseSmith

So I guess with Boeser and Motte injured, we start with:

Garland - Pettersson - Miller

Petan - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Highmore

MacEwan - Lammikko - Dowling

Podkolzin

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone - Schenn

Hunt

Demko/Halak

Ouch, hate to say it but seems like a regression from last season. Missing Boeser, Motte, Sutter and Hamonic is a BIG blow to this team and suddenly we've got a lot of plugs in our forward group, and that defensive depth is already pushed thin.

Just now, SuitcaseSmith said:

What happens if Chiasson is signed (if the practice lines are any indication) when Lammikko arrives.  Someone has to get sent down.

Lammikko is already on the 23 player opening roster.  

Would need to demote someone if they sign Chiasson and someone else if Boeser can play.

37 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Gadj was a  toughness this team lacks up front.4th line limited minutes made him a solid project player and Highmore skates faster but shuns the dirty areas. Which seems to be Greens style. Perimeter 

Anyone know what’s going on with Gadjovich in San Jose? I notice he’s not on their 23 man roster and I haven’t seen him placed on IR. I wonder if the Canucks would reclaim him if the Sharks try and send him down?

1 minute ago, mll said:

Lammikko is already on the 23 player opening roster.

My comment was based on Brendan Batchelor's practice lines today where Lammikko had not yet arrived. I know that Lammikko is on the posted opening lineup, which means either Chiasson will be released or else (if he is signed) then someone else will be demoted / put on waivers. 

10 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Anyone know what’s going on with Gadjovich in San Jose? I notice he’s not on their 23 man roster and I haven’t seen him placed on IR. I wonder if the Canucks would reclaim him if the Sharks try and send him down?

Not sure, other teams put a claim on him too. Not sure who gets first option. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That line up doesn't make any sense. Why the &^@# is Höglander on the fourth &^@#ing line. 

And why is Chiasson on the first line with Miller and Petey?? 

Chiasson is likely a practice placeholder for Boeser as they have not signed him. It might indicate the Canucks believe Boeser will be a go.

Hoglander on the 4th line is inexplicable.

If they needed a placeholder for Boeser who can actually play there if he isn’t ready, just put Hoglander there. Green’s unwavering need to have Pearson in the top 6 is very likely going to push Hoglander down the lineup.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1

What does everyone think of petan? I'm not a huge fan. He is around the puck a lot which is a skill I guess in that he knows where to be. He just seems pretty sloppy with his skills. He misses a lot of passes, whiffs on shots. Then he will make a few nice plays. Maybe due to all his touches I am being too harsh? He seems to be the opposite of podz who seems to has fewer touches but rarely makes a bad pass flubs a pass.  

1 minute ago, austy said:

What does everyone think of petan? I'm not a huge fan. He is around the puck a lot which is a skill I guess in that he knows where to be. He just seems pretty sloppy with his skills. He misses a lot of passes, whiffs on shots. Then he will make a few nice plays. Maybe due to all his touches I am being too harsh? He seems to be the opposite of podz who seems to has fewer touches but rarely makes a bad pass flubs a pass.  

I am not overly impressed with him for exactly the reasons you say. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, austy said:

so what exactly is the reason for him making the team then? 

39 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

They are sorting his visa so he is likely declared as non roster.  They have the cap space and roster spot to have him on the opening roster.

If the Sharks put him back on waivers the normal waiver order applies - Vancouver are 9th till 1 November ( after that date it’s this season’s point percentage that apply).  If another team with later priority put in a claim the Canucks would have to keep him on the NHL roster or put him back through waivers to be sent to Abbotsford.

Happened with Boucher. NJD was the initial waiving team and claimed him back when Nashville put him back on waivers.  NJD had priority but couldn’t send him to the AHL because another team had also put in a claim.  They then tried again to send him through waivers to the AHL and Vancouver claimed him then.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

so what exactly is the reason for him making the team then? 

he was one of the best canucks in the preseason, i feeel he deserves a shot, he did well, he had his oopsidaiseys , but deserves a shot ...as for pod, he looked lost out there minus one game ..shocked he wasnt sent to AHL

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So I guess with Boeser and Motte injured, we start with:

Garland - Pettersson - Miller

Petan - Horvat - Hoglander

Pearson - Dickinson - Highmore

MacEwan - Lammikko - Dowling

Podkolzin

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Rathbone - Schenn

Hunt

Demko/Halak

Ouch, hate to say it but seems like a regression from last season. Missing Boeser, Motte, Sutter and Hamonic is a BIG blow to this team and suddenly we've got a lot of plugs in our forward group, and that defensive depth is already pushed thin.

Scary to think this team could finish with a worse record. I like out goaltending better, our D slightly better and same as the forward group (when healthy) but it could be more of the same. 

Best part will be watching the group in Abbotsford.