The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

5 hours ago, khay said:

This is funny.

It's not the norm for players to give team friendly deals. The players are almost always trying to maximize their values and no moron is giving a team friendly deal because of a GM. They may give a team friendly deal in return for things like NMC + their desire to win (i.e., give the team extra cap space to add player).

Dahlen? What's he got to do with Petey? They were teammates before, maybe still a friend but what's Petey's contract has got to do with Daheln?

If Petey is refusing to sign a reasonable deal because of some unknown reasons related to Dahlen, then Petey's agent is not doing his job.

Petey is a nice guy line the Sedins. So a team friendly deal is possible if he likes the GM and/or coaches.

LiketheGM-ship has sailed away. Benning is stone age as one of the boys in the "club" or what you call them.

Petey has a desire to win and if Benning had been intelligent and modern he could have used that card in the negotions but now has Petey put that responsibility on Benning. As you probably heard in the famous interview. 

Hence no team friendly deal due to winning.

Is it better if I say Stecher instead of Dahlen? Do you get my drift then?

Stecher bled for the team and was flushed away. So loyalty, team first etc isn't something Benning has put first on Peteys list. 

7 hours ago, Sean83 said:

Alf, man, believe me the last thing I want to be doing is having to be on here bashing my favourite's team franchise player (on a Friday night no less when I should be having fun) when EVERYTHING ELSE was pointing towards us making a deep run, perhaps even winning the cup this year, after Benning's tremendous off-season acquisitions, trades and releases.  We would have been set, man, set.  Instead, EP is being a selfish clown and this is the scenario we have instead.  With all our new pieces, we can't afford to play EP and QH's game.  We need a rockin' start at training camp and we don't need any more team drama, god knows, after the Luongo/Schneider affair, the Virtanen mess, etc.

If I was JB, Hughes and Petterson would both be on one-way tickets out of town the day before training camp STAT, if not signed, for Eichel and Dahlin so that JB's other moves aren't all going to waste because EP/QH are sitting out until December or January (at least!).  

I'd also, if I were JB, I'd be calling up JP Barry and be like "hey, do your clients want to play in the world-class city of BUFFALO? No? Well, you have until the day training camp starts to sign or they're outta here buddy!"

With your guy JB, loyalty and team spirit is non existent unless the players do it themselves.

I find it ridiculus you try to put any blame on the players when Benning act as he does towards players like Stecher and Tanev. 

Edited by Timråfan

31 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Petey is a nice guy line the Sedins. So a team friendly deal is possible if he likes the GM and/or coaches.

LiketheGM-ship has sailed away. Benning is stone age as one of the boys in the "club" or what you call them.

Petey has a desire to win and if Benning had been intelligent and modern he could have used that card in the negotions but now has Petey put that responsibility on Benning. As you probably heard in the famous interview. 

Hence no team friendly deal due to winning.

Is it better if I say Stecher instead of Dahlen? Do you get my drift then?

Stecher bled for the team and was flushed away. So loyalty, team first etc isn't something Benning has put first on Peteys list. 

Stetcher signed a deal with Detroit, the loser team (for now) in the league making what  exactly?   He was exposed big time in the bubble - it was obvious teams went down his side on purpose although he managed admirably, had a huge heart - he's not really that good - same as Hutton.    Hamonic, Myers and Poolman > then Stetcher.   Don't know why your so worried about this - JB cleared the cap to pay both these guys for 8 years if they/he wants them too.   Pearson is an easy trade too if for some ridiculous reason EP needs to be massively overpaid, or QHs.   That means we have around 18.5 (after league min AHL replacement) for these guys.     Nobody knows either of these guys minds - but if you'd like - or anyone for that matter - go and re-read EPs end of seasons quotes about how much he loves Vancouver and wants to be here a long time.    OEL..the Sedins ... what more can the club do to make him comfortable long term?   Basically all this is for him and QHs.   They will sign and look forward to seeing them both on the ice opening night. 

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think there was a suggestion before where we trade Petey and Quinn for Eichel and Dahlin.  I think Eichel is a good player, but it’s quite a step down from Quinn to Dahlin.  

I would only do this trade if Buffalo retained 3m of Eichel salary and the Vancouver team got to do a full medical review of Eichel. 

There would also need to be a conditional pick like Buffalo's first round pick in 2022 if Eichel doesn't play "x" amount of games 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Stetcher signed a deal with Detroit, the loser team (for now) in the league making what  exactly?   He was exposed big time in the bubble - it was obvious teams went down his side on purpose although he managed admirably, had a huge heart - he's not really that good - same as Hutton.    Hamonic, Myers and Poolman > then Stetcher.   Don't know why your so worried about this - JB cleared the cap to pay both these guys for 8 years if they/he wants them too.   Pearson is an easy trade too if for some ridiculous reason EP needs to be massively overpaid, or QHs.   That means we have around 18.5 (after league min AHL replacement) for these guys.     Nobody knows either of these guys minds - but if you'd like - or anyone for that matter - go and re-read EPs end of seasons quotes about how much he loves Vancouver and wants to be here a long time.    OEL..the Sedins ... what more can the club do to make him comfortable long term?   Basically all this is for him and QHs.   They will sign and look forward to seeing them both on the ice opening night. 

I believe Petey will sign so no worries about that. 
Look at it as a scale, you got a lot of guys saying this. Then I say that. 
So without this it won’t be a that. B)

Wich is what happened with Loui, Dahlen etc.

So for me it shows who understands and those who don’t. 
I don’t like pack mentality…

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

What a crock.  Guy honoured every single players wishes from the MG era.  Every single one.    He also offered both Tanev and Markstrom a deal that worked for the team - and helped them become extremely rich with their legacy deals they signed ... wow. 

If you want team first you give Tanev and Stecher similar contracts as they got. 
It shows very much what Benning thinks of team mentality when he ditched them as he did. 
And, Stecher wasn’t exposed. 
Show me stats where he were the reason for goals against as you imply. 
If the other team had gone on the other side it was as easy. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

If you want team first you give Tanev and Stecher similar contracts as they got. 
It shows very much what Benning thinks of team mentality when he ditched them as he did. 
And, Stecher wasn’t exposed. 
Show me stats where he were the reason for goals against as you imply. 
If the other team had gone on the other side it was as easy. 

Well to me at least, the bubble showed that we won't ever win trying the same old thing.   Same with the regular season.   Fan favourites leave all the time ... i'm much more bitter about Ronning, and even Walker.   Tanev sure he was a warrior for us - but didn't want to stay - went to the land of misfit toys aka Calgary for the money, just like Markstrom ... as for EP.   It is concerning that every year he gets injured so far - just like Tanev did.   Just like Salo before them.   Having a pay scale like that caught up for 66% of the play - and EP wouldn't have come back in an 82 game schedule ... it's not ideal - especially at that type of pay scale...i mean who's going to replace him?   Get your attachment to Swedish players given your handle - but Vancouver owns the rights all-time for the quantity and quality of them so not sure what your b!thching about regarding the team or Benning on that front.   He traded or should i say, wasted the trade on Dahlen ... and LE was awful simply awful at his cap hit but kept him anyways.   Until the last year ... why?  Because if he tried to trade him earlier it would have ruined the entire team.   Ruined it.   Plus the Sedins came back and he brought in OEL ... sheeesh ... you should be making an alter of JB and thanking him every single day given it seems to be all about Swedish players. 

I believe Petey will sign so no worries about that. 
Look at it as a scale, you got a lot of guys saying this. Then I say that. 
So without this it won’t be a that. B)

Wich is what happened with Loui, Dahlen etc.

So for me it shows who understands and those who don’t. 
I don’t like pack mentality…

also i watched Dahlen a couple times in the AHL...there is a reason both OJ and McEwen are on the roster and not him....you need to let that one go. 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well to me at least, the bubble showed that we won't ever win trying the same old thing.   Same with the regular season

So it was Stecher that made us loose... I thought we lacked in several areas.

Just look at Fantenberg that was really good for us. Where is he now? 

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

.   Tanev sure he was a warrior for us - but didn't want to stay - 

He wanted to stay but Benning didn't nurture him so he was forced away. 

Very strange that you say he didn't want to stay... It says a lot about your motif. 

36 minutes ago, IBatch said:

also i watched Dahlen a couple times in the AHL...there is a reason both OJ and McEwen are on the roster and not him....you need to let that one go. 

And againg... It's not about Dahlen.

Do you guys write poems for the ones who has blocked me? 

So it was Stecher that made us loose... I thought we lacked in several areas.

Just look at Fantenberg that was really good for us. Where is he now? 

He wanted to stay but Benning didn't nurture him so he was forced away. 

Very strange that you say he didn't want to stay... It says a lot about your motif. 

And againg... It's not about Dahlen.

Do you guys write poems for the ones who has blocked me? 

Damn.  Didn't know JB job was to hold their hands and make a team of snowflakes.   He's the boss, he did "nurture" both Markstrom and Tanev, no way is there any hard feelings - made one in Markstrom extremely rich; the guy who let in one soft goal a game but didn't quit on him for years - 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn.  Didn't know JB job was to hold their hands and make a team of snowflakes.   He's the boss, he did "nurture" both Markstrom and Tanev, no way is there any hard feelings - made one in Markstrom extremely rich; the guy who let in one soft goal a game but didn't quit on him for years - 

Marky was a must to move. So nothing to complain about there.

But this year we're into the second season we should have Tanev and Stecher instead of what we got. I hope to be proven wrong. 

Again you misinterpret my words... Nurture can mean more than holding hands.

Keep Tanev up to date through the whole OEL cirkus last year had probably helped Tanev to a better decision. Also a longer contract than 2 years... 

Whatever the Petersson contract is, chances are it won't be ideal. It's looking like it a short term deal (for too much money) that will give him the shortest possible path possible to free agency.

It would be kind of funny if, because of not taking a more team friendly deal, he did get himself traded to Buffalo for Eichel. Not gonna win too many games there, Petey xD

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Whatever the Petersson contract is, chances are it won't be ideal. It's looking like it a short term deal (for too much money) that will give him the shortest possible path possible to free agency.

It would be kind of funny if, because of not taking a more team friendly deal, he did get himself traded to Buffalo for Eichel. Not gonna win too many games there, Petey xD

So you really think Benning dare test Eichel after the Ferland fiasco?

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So you really think Benning dare test Eichel after the Ferland fiasco?

Ferland didn’t cost any assets so it’s not comparable in that sense. Personally I would stay the heck away from Eichel though. Someone is going to overpay for a cry baby with health questions.

• Cheers 1

Honestly, I doubt there is any sort of hold up from Hughes' side. His comparables are all signed and I'd be shocked if there isn't any sort of solid idea for Hughes' contract. The hold up is from trying to get Pettersson signed first. Once he's signed, I full expect Hughes to re-sign shortly after.