The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Rangers/Zibanejad

-DLC-

Kukla's Korner Hockey

Mika Zibanejad Agrees To An Eight-Year Deal With The New York Rangers

by Paul on 10/10/21 at 11:34 AM ET
Comments (0)

NEW YORK, October 10, 2021 – New York Rangers President and General Manager Chris Drury announced today that the team has agreed to terms with Mika Zibanejad on an eight-year contract extension.

“Since joining the team in 2016, Mika has emerged as one of the premier players in the NHL,” Drury said. “In addition to being a great player on the ice, Mika is an exemplary person off of the ice. We are fortunate to have him as part of our Rangers organization and are excited that he will continue his career in New York.”

Zibanejad, 28, skated in 56 games with the Rangers last season, registering 24 goals and 26 assists for 50 points, along with 18 penalty minutes. He led the Rangers in goals, game-winning goals (seven), and shots on goal (171), and ranked second on the team in points in 2020-21.

The 6-2, 200-pounder has skated in 604 career NHL games over parts of 10 seasons (2011-12 – 2020-21) with Ottawa and the Rangers, registering 200 goals and 234 assists for 434 points, along with 173 penalty minutes. Zibanejad has played five seasons with the Blueshirts (2016-17 – 2020-21), tallying 136 goals and 147 assists for 283 points in 323 games. He has skated in 31 postseason games in his NHL career, registering five goals and 14 assists for 19 points. In addition, the Stockholm, Sweden native will represent his country at the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Zibanejad was acquired by the Rangers from Ottawa on July 18, 2016. He was originally selected by the Senators in the first round, sixth overall, of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Looks like Mika is his agent's only client.  Even the little fish agent's are getting these monster deals.  I guess when the league is totally screwed they can just ask the player's for 50 percent escrow.  What a gong show.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

8.5 at 36 years old... okie dokie.

For a second I thought you were saying he was 36 years old. I didn't think that was right. Lol. This is the nature of long term end of career contracts though. Sadly the final 2-3 years will be buyout worthy contracts. But GMs don't care as long as the deal is fine for the next 3-4 years. Let it be a problem for the next guy.

Solid deal for NYR No!? Would have loved EP40 to not be so greedy and taken a long term Draisatl deal...could have been a steal just like Leon's turned out to be...Oh Well see how EP does then back the brinks truck up for him in 3 years I suppose!?

Zib is a very good player and a C too, but he is older but still would have got more than that as a FA I think if he had a PPG or higher this year