The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

it was not Bob McCammon but the guy had a similar name

Stan McCammon? ie Other management

and that is what I was saying, Pat took heat for that at the time but has been proven not to be the guy at fault

You are correct it was Stan. 
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-vancouver-canucks-new-york-rangers-toronto-maple-leafs-pat-quinn/

1 hour ago, Canuck Luck said:

You can't blame McJesus for having been drafted by an absolute tire fire of a franchise. If Tampa had gotten him, they would have 5 cups by now instead of a couple.

You ever looked at that 2009 Penguins roster? The third and fourth leading scorers were Ruslan Fedetenko and the ghost of Bill Guerin (who was going on 39 years old). Their best defensemen were an aging Gonchar, Rob Scuderi and a sophomore Letang who had yet to break out. But, on the backs of Crosby and Malkin, they managed to go to the Finals, in back to back years, and win a Cup.           

There has never been a generational talent in history who has had as many excuses made for him as McDavid. Yes, you can blame him. His team may have "let him down" but he has also performed poorly in every single playoff performance we've seen from the guy. Even when OV was getting knocked out in the playoffs, he was still dominating offensively. McDavid has A LOT to prove. The regular season is a far easier environment to pad your stats. The playoffs, however, are a different beast.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

That one play where he got the puck and was wide open for like a solid five seconds .... then proceeded to take a the $&!#tiest shot ever into smith's pads. Brock can't get back soon enough. 

:lol: yeah that was pretty bad. Hopefully Brock is back next game and it’s not his wrist that’s bugging him. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Sorry you have to elaborate? 

the comment was, "why are we talking about this now?"

I think Dan Sedin must be tired of people bringing up Duncan Keith

Why do we think anyone on the current Canucks hold any malice toward Keith nearly 10 years after the fact when 0 players still play for the Canucks

It was a nice hit though on its own merits

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I agree that Pettersson has been very good vs McD for playoff performance thus far. A full team effort is how a team advances tho, the oilers are a one line team. For the youngsters who may have not been around for the 94 run, Linden was the driving force and a true warrior/captain. 12-13-25 in 24 playoff games, scored both goals in game 7 of the finals playing with broken ribs. Yes Bure was awesome as the pure scorer 16-15-31 in 24 games, but Linden was the heart and soul of that team. What a great leader. 
I see Bo in that role with Petey as the high scorer. Time will tell. GCG.

I feel Bo is being held back with Green's coaching style. I think he has more offense to give. But has a 3rd line mentality. His offense has been coached out of him. 

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

the comment was, "why are we talking about this now?"

I think Dan Sedin must be tired of people bringing up Duncan Keith

Why do we think anyone on the current Canucks hold any malice toward Keith nearly 10 years after the fact when 0 players still play for the Canucks

It was a nice hit though on its own merits

Oh, ok. I never commented on that subject. But I agree. I don’t think Dank even thinks about that. It was a great hockey play and hit by Myers. I guess it’s more the fans here that remember the past digressions by DK.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I feel Bo is being held back with Green's coaching style. I think he has more offense to give. But has a 3rd line mentality. His offense has been coached out of him. 

I tend to disagree. Bo was amazingly offensive minded in the St. Louis series. His Slhootout goal last night was so skilled also. I don’t think that offence is coached out. I think he is just so responsible in all other aspects of the game that he holds back.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I tend to disagree. Bo was amazingly offensive minded in the St. Louis series. His Slhootout goal last night was so skilled also. I don’t think that offence is coached out. I think he is just so responsible in all other aspects of the game that he holds back.

Yeah I guess his holding back is better for our defense. But I wouldn't mind him being a bit more selfish from time to time. Love his game btw. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Chiasson isnt the shooter on the PP and when Brock is back he gets bumped to the second unit. As we saw on the night he isnt the one to bury the puck. I would rather see Brock or Petey shooting and him collecting the rebounds. Either way we need the power play to click to win games.

Petey didn't score, nor did miller or horvat.  Does that mean they aren't the ones to bury the puck.  Chaisson is a proven pp producer.

I hope they don't load up PP1.  

41 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

You ever looked at that 2009 Penguins roster? The third and fourth leading scorers were Ruslan Fedetenko and the ghost of Bill Guerin (who was going on 39 years old). Their best defensemen were an aging Gonchar, Rob Scuderi and a sophomore Letang who had yet to break out. But, on the backs of Crosby and Malkin, they managed to go to the Finals, in back to back years, and win a Cup.           

There has never been a generational talent in history who has had as many excuses made for him as McDavid. Yes, you can blame him. His team may have "let him down" but he has also performed poorly in every single playoff performance we've seen from the guy. Even when OV was getting knocked out in the playoffs, he was still dominating offensively. McDavid has A LOT to prove. The regular season is a far easier environment to pad your stats. The playoffs, however, are a different beast.

has McD ever played in front of MA Fleury?

or played with the likes of Guerin, Kunitz, Talbot, Adams

those guys gave all those cliche things the Canucks have talked about the last 7 years, veteran leadership,  depth, and they had career playoffs after a  soso season

I'd take sid and Geno's depth over anything McD has had

26 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Oh, ok. I never commented on that subject. But I agree. I don’t think Dank even thinks about that. It was a great hockey play and hit by Myers. I guess it’s more the fans here that remember the past digressions by DK.

the meme suggested that Dan would be buying Myers dinner after the trip

I'd bet Daniel would be happy to never hear of that hit again

it's kind of funny/sad that people talk about how classy Sedin is and yet they keep dragging him back to that sad moment 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Chiasson was solid last night

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s the ideal lineup I think. Chiasson is too slow to be a regular. And Podzilla needs to be freed. 

Chaisson was solid - in good spots - but of all the canucks, to me he did look the slowest. not sure he has the foot speed for top 6.

Maybe anchors on the 4th when BB returns... ? perhaps could keep up on  the 3rd, be a big body

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

Lol. If you understood hockey you would understand why a rookie playing his first game wasn't getting a ton of minutes in a game we were trailing. Ya it's not all about the points but those don't help your argument either. Who did he EARN powerplay minutes over? 

Not points, nor context, nor anything helps your argument. Canucks have had 3 rookie of the year candidates all under green yet he is holding back young players? You are lost, get over it, and stop responding to my messages. 

Explain to me how Dowling earned power play minutes? How did he earn them over Podkolzin? Specifically. What did he show in the preseason that Podkolzin didn’t?

Ya, that’s what I thought.

I always find it hilarious when people like you try to give Green huge credit for 3 guys who came into the league obviously already developed elsewhere. Are you really saying they benefitted so much from 1 year of his coaching that he suddenly turned them into Calder candidates? Or is it more likely they already developed elsewhere and were just ready to play in the NHL? All Green had to do was play them to make him look good. Kind of like he should do with Podkolzin. He needs all the smoke and mirror credit he can get to keep his job.

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

They do notice the criticisms but I’m sure that most try to tune it out as much as possible. So do agents, as shown by OEL’s agent telling him to stay away from Twitter and Facebook for a while after the trade. I would be willing to bet Pat Brisson made a similar suggestion to Pettersson and Hughes during their negotiations. Just look at the wild speculation and animosity towards the two sides that lit up social media.

Some players thrive while others wilt in a crazed hockey market and vice versa. That’s OK too, just make sure that you’re getting a player with he right temperament for your market. That’s why you get some players that are happy to play for the Coyotes or Panthers and others prefer to play in real hockey markets.

Hockey players are still people so of course some won’t like a crazy hockey market. Some will love it. 

Most professional hockey players and other athletes I know spend next to no time worrying about fans criticisms. It’s just very part of the gig to them and they learn very early to give it very little space in their head.

21 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Explain to me how Dowling earned power play minutes? How did he earn them over Podkolzin? Specifically. What did he show in the preseason that Podkolzin didn’t?

Ya, that’s what I thought.

I always find it hilarious when people like you try to give Green huge credit for 3 guys who came into the league obviously already developed elsewhere. Are you really saying they benefitted so much from 1 year of his coaching that he suddenly turned them into Calder candidates? Or is it more likely they already developed elsewhere and were just ready to play in the NHL? All Green had to do was play them to make him look good. Kind of like he should do with Podkolzin. He needs all the smoke and mirror credit he can get to keep his job.

I also raised my eyebrows when I saw Dowling on the pp, but that said Dowling has been in the league a while and its Podkolzins first game. It's one game, one game!  I would actually agree with you if it had been more then 15 games. But it's been one game. Hence what I'm saying, chill out. It's not a problem. 

"People like you" who jump to criticism over everything no matter how minor or miniscule are a larger problem with the Canucks then Green is.

I emphasize, you actually don't even know how green is gonna handle Podkolzin as it's been literally one game yet are still complaining to the ends of the earth about how he is handling Podkolzin. How about you actually wait to see how he hands out ice time for the rookie moving forward before complaining? For the record I'm a big fan of podkolzin, and I also don't think he should be given 7 minutes of ice time in a game. I just don't think that's going to be the case very often  so I'm not complaining. It was his first game!

But go ahead and complain about nothing! It's one game! God. Get off your high horse. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, CaptKirk888 said:

^It’s the repercussions of that hit that we ‘remember’ most. 

Daniel was put-out of commission for the 1st play-off round of what should have been a repeat opportunity at the Stanley Cup, with a similar line-up intact. 

Instead - the Canucks lose a few shakey games to the upstart LA Kings despite our Canucks being the top-seed & President’s Cup winners, as top-point gatherers in the NHL that season. 

And - what were Keith’s consequences, you ask? He inexplicably stayed in that controversial game in CHI, proving that certain referees (O’Halloran, in this instance) have biases or deep pockets & are ingratiated to certain O-6 power-brokering owners & their So-Cal voting-block buddies.

Keith also got a welcome 5-game rest before his CHI team entered the play-offs, the injury he caused severely impacted the future success of a chief western conference rival who faced a very tough early round match-up vs the eventual 2012 SCup winners. 

Keith lost his cool (as is his history) and deliberately injured Daniel Sedin, to settle a score after being rubbed-out along the boards earlier, where he himself was NOT injured. Threats of vigilante justice came repeatedly from the CHI bench, made primarily by Keith himself. These threats were also seen and/or heard by on/off ice officials. 

Talk on our CDC boards debated all of the league’s implied explanations as to why Keith was not suspended longer with some carry-over suspension time into the play-offs. During DPS interviews, Keith said that the hit was accidental, as he lost sight of a puck in the air & apparently the DPS believed this. Just saying so, will not make a every statement true. The circumstantial evidence loudly contradicted Keith’s words. Longer suspension time was also not considered, because play-off games are deemed to be worth significantly more than simple league games. Ha!! Not if opponents try to eliminate league stars & scoring leaders, prior to quite possibly facing them in an upcoming play-off round! Many argued suspensions assessed in the last “10” league games of the regular season should be more severe, to deter such strategies from ever being deployed or considered. 

So for foiling the SCup hopes of one of the best Vancouver Canucks teams ever assembled, and for threatening the livelihood of a bonafide league super-star & one of the most honest & honorable hockey-players to ever suit up in the NHL….we WILL heartily boo Duncan Keith in perpetuity. 

His kids & grandkids will keep asking him, “why do they boo you in Vancouver at their home games, Dad/grand-dad?” Duncan Keith will be forced to own-up to being a vindictive dirt-bag - every time!

Edited by viking mama
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, viking mama said:

^It’s the repercussions of that hit that we ‘remember’ most. 

Daniel was put-out of commission for the 1st play-off round of what should have been a repeat opportunity at the Stanley Cup, with a similar line-up intact. 

Instead - the Canucks lose a few shakey games to the upstart LA Kings despite our Canucks being the top-seed & President’s Cup winners, as top-point gathers in the NHL that season. 

And - what were Keith’s consequences, you ask? He inexplicably stayed in that controversial game in CHI, proving that certain referees (O’Halloran, in this instance) have biases or deep pockets & are ingratiated or beholding to certain O-6 power-brokering owners & their So-Cal voting-block buddies.

Keith got an appreciated 5-game rest before his CHI team entered the play-offs, while that incident & subsequent injury severely impacted the future success of his chief western conference rival facing a very tough early play-off match-up. 

Keith lost his cool (as is his history) and deliberately intended to injure Daniel Sedin, in a score vigilante justice after a earlier run out along the boards, where he was not injured & the series of verbal threats from the CHI bench & primarily Keith himself, that followed. These threats were even heard by the on-ice officials.

Talk on our CDC boards debated the league implied explanations as to why Keith was not suspended with carry-over suspension time into the play-offs.
The said Mr. Keith said the hit was accidental as he lost sight of a puck in the air. Ha!! A carry over suspension 

was also not possible l because play-off games are considered to be worth significantly more than simple league games. Ha!! Not if opponents try to take-out scoring leaders of their opponents before they could possibly face them in upcoming play-off rounds.

Many argued on CDC that suspensions assessed in the last “10” league games of a season could be even be more severe, to deter such strategies from ever being deployed or considered. 

So for foiling the SCup hopes of one of the best Vancouver Canucks teams ever assembled, and for threatening the livelihood of a bonafide league-star & one of the most honorable hockey-players ever to suit up in the NHL….we WILL heartily boo Duncan Keith in perpetuity. 

His kids & grandkids will keep asking him, “why do they boo you in Vancouver at their home games, Dad/grand-dad?” Duncan Keith will be forced every time to own-up to being a vindictive dirt-bag.

Be accountable DK or to the horror of your wife teach your poor kids that losing your temper, not apologizing & being unaccountable for your actions with words afterwards - is the way ‘they’ should go.

Well that was unexpected. I believe that moment is far from Daniel’s mind based on how he presented himself as a true professional on the ice one off. It’s a game, moments happen. We as fans were all shocked and disappointed by that play. It should have been a catalyst for the Canucks to overcome, but that did not happen. 

• Thanks 1