The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Or maybe people are suffering from the cumulative effect of Green for more than one game? Just a thought.

I was iffy on Green last year and would have had no problem if they decided to move on from him and  I may feel that way again later this season. I still have questions about some of his decisions so I get where some are coming from but the point is the team just re-signed him so it’s a given that he wasn’t going to be fired before game one. If the team stinks it up early his position will certainly be in jeopardy but calling for his firing before a single game says more about the fan base than it does about him.

All the complaints about personnel, line combos and ice time may have a lot more value after game 20 than game 1, in which IMO they played pretty well on the road against a club almost universally picked to be first or second in the division. Anyways I’m not trying to tell people how to fan, just pointing out how weird it must seem to players coming from a market where few fans really care.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Nobody hated Pat Quinn as coach.

I'm pretty sure he was wanted out by fans as a GM at least. I wasn't a fan at the time, but I've heard from some who were that while he was more liked as a coach, fans had tired of his as a GM before he left.

An astronomically low number of GMs or coaches leave on their own terms. The only coaches in recent memory that come to mind are Babcock from Detroit and Trotz from Washington.

8 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Both Mcbaby and Mathews need to take a page out of Steve Yzermans development and give up points and become the best two way players in the game. If not they will never win the Cup,  

It still blows me away to think that McDavid has never won a championship when he has had to be 'The Guy' on a team. The only times a team has won it all with McDavid on the roster were international tournaments where he was surrounded with top end talent to take the pressure off him. He just doesn't seem to be able to put a team on his back and drag them all the way. Even in his draft year in the OHL when he put up 2.55 P/GP in the regular season and 2.5 P/GP in the playoffs he still couldn't even win an OHL Championship let alone a Memorial Cup.

Whereas, Pettersson has already managed to put up the best season ever by an U20 player in the 3rd best professional hockey league in the world, led his team to a League Championship, and won every award possible that season. I'm not saying the Pettersson is as skilled or as capable of being a game changer as McDavid but it certainly seems like he can produce under pressure and do what it takes to win when it counts at a level McDavid has never shown.

McDavid: 6 seasons, 21 playoff games 22 points

Pettersson: 3 seasons, 17 playoff games 18 points

• Like 1

I saw a few people posting this and I agree, Poolman looked really solid out there. He had some really good defensively plays and a couple against McDavid that were well done against the best player in the league. 

Demko and Hog were our best players, but for the most part everyone played quite good (Miller maybe needs to shake some rust off). Happy for OEL to score, I hope Vancouver really works out for him for this second half of his career. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Nobody hated Pat Quinn as coach.

He was lucky that he was in an era of no internet & social media. Toxic Canucks Twitter would have a few people hatorading on Pat.

Not that Pat would ever care what keyboard warriors had to say. The Irishman is forever a beaut!

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Edmonton is just a sad case of relying on one guy too much. They haven't drafted well at all, and they really should be further along in their contention. I mean the fact that their defense is still as bad as it was all these years says something about their management (and we complain about Benning...can you imagine if we had Edmonton's management team all those years?). 

I agree with ya. I think McDavid cracks and asks for a trade out of Edmonton to another contending team. He should've done what Pettersson did to the Canucks. Sign short deals, say publicly that he wants to play for a winner, and force management to do their goddamn job of putting together a winner. 

Edmonton is actually a good team now.   Way better then they've been aside from very early days with McDavid and i'd say even better.     They are just entering their prime years ... we are 3 years behind them in our cycle at least.   We matched up nicely with them, and for that i'm happy.   Two of the best players in the game, a goalie that the past two years is doing his best Bower impression ... their D is pretty decent now, adding Hyman was a bit of a coupe too.   He's their JT Miller...Nuge is solid.   So not sure where your going with this.   Can you imagine if we had the best player in the game, plus a top ten player - any position to boot, and a well rounded team to go with it?   I can.   Not saying i'd rather switch rosters, but McDavid and Drasaitl more then produce their cap hits.   Which isn't common at that level of money.   

26 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

It still blows me away to think that McDavid has never won a championship when he has had to be 'The Guy' on a team. The only times a team has won it all with McDavid on the roster were international tournaments where he was surrounded with top end talent to take the pressure off him. He just doesn't seem to be able to put a team on his back and drag them all the way. Even in his draft year in the OHL when he put up 2.55 P/GP in the regular season and 2.5 P/GP in the playoffs he still couldn't even win an OHL Championship let alone a Memorial Cup.

Whereas, Pettersson has already managed to put up the best season ever by an U20 player in the 3rd best professional hockey league in the world, led his team to a League Championship, and won every award possible that season. I'm not saying the Pettersson is as skilled or as capable of being a game changer as McDavid but it certainly seems like he can produce under pressure and do what it takes to win when it counts at a level McDavid has never shown.

McDavid: 6 seasons, 21 playoff games 22 points

Pettersson: 3 seasons, 17 playoff games 18 points

Not me at all.  Hawerchuk played on teams a lot worse in the 80's....it happens.   If he played in EDM instead everyone would be wondering who was the better player right now - Hawerchuk or McDavid?   Same as Crosby - if he played on a crap team, and didn't win anything...

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

Seems to me no matter who the coach has been their always been hate the coach or GM group.

Look at the crop of coaches we have had.   AV was good, Quinn, Crawford? :

green 

desjardin 

tortorella 

keenan

renney 

Can you blame us for crying 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not me at all.  Hawerchuk played on teams a lot worse in the 80's....it happens.   If he played in EDM instead everyone would be wondering who was the better player right now - Hawerchuk or McDavid?   Same as Crosby - if he played on a crap team, and didn't win anything...

Hawerchuck was amazing. A great player.

But not on the same level as McDavid.  How did this conversation / comparison surface?

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said except Chiassion being the shooter.  He's the net front presence but that doesn't mean he doesn't move from that spot.  His chances were a very positive sign for the pp, even if he didn't convert.  He's a smart player on the pp.......he clearly knows when to disengage in front to get open.

Chiasson isnt the shooter on the PP and when Brock is back he gets bumped to the second unit. As we saw on the night he isnt the one to bury the puck. I would rather see Brock or Petey shooting and him collecting the rebounds. Either way we need the power play to click to win games.

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I was iffy on Green last year and would have had no problem if they decided to move on from him and  I may feel that way again later this season. I still have questions about some of his decisions so I get where some are coming from but the point is the team just re-signed him so it’s a given that he wasn’t going to be fired before game one. If the team stinks it up early his position will certainly be in jeopardy but calling for his firing before a single game says more about the fan base than it does about him.

All the complaints about personnel, line combos and ice time may have a lot more value after game 20 than game 1, in which IMO they played pretty well on the road against a club almost universally picked to be first or second in the division. Anyways I’m not trying to tell people how to fan, just pointing out how weird it must seem to players coming from a market where few fans really care.

A bit of a stretch to suggest that’s what I said but you do you.

Not sure where I said he would or even should be fired before game 1. I have actually said repeatedly he won’t be fired this year under any circumstances. The team could probably go 0-82 this season and Benning would find an excuse to explain it away for Green.

Complaints about things he does are certainly allowed as people have the right to their opinion even if it hurts some sensitive types who don’t understand how anyone could ever criticize things while still being a fan. Or who extrapolate a criticism of Green (or Benning) out to a full fledged assault on them.