The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I just hope that no goal doesn't get into Hoglander's head....he's been playing SO well and I don't want him to change a thing.

Agreed. Outside of Garland I thought he was our best player in the top six yesterday. Certainly the best player on the Pettersson line by a wide margin.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That was quite the game. Threw the kitchen sink at Greiss in the 3rd, but just wasn't to be.

Very disappointing not getting the result, but I'm encouraged with what I've seen through 3 games.

The one problem area is special teams. 1st unit PP is too static, I'm about ready to see Garland given a chance in Miller's spot on PP1. (He likes to move around). And the PK just flat out needs to be better. They made the Lammikko trade, but I wonder how long before they start looking for another guy to help the PK.

Sutter and Motte say hello

I really hope we have some meat and potatoes players in the later rounds we can develop. 

I also hope Lammikko takes over for some of the duds we have on the forward lines.

Especially when Boeser is back.

I like Rathbone on the offence he provides, but he needs work on defending. 

Maybe Juulsen, Woo, Hamonic or even Bowey moves up to the big team.

Who is handling the PK coaching duties? It's horrible. 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He’s just missing his boes friend.

This is why people don’t give Brock enough credit. He makes that line go.

He not only knows how to get into shooting positions, his shot makes goalies shake in their pads.

Missing boeser big time especially with how great he looked last year. Really feel like this is the season boeser really takes off

• Cheers 4

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I listened to the Detroit broadcast and they were very enjoyable to listen to.  Very complimentary of our players, showed replayed of Podkolzin's first NHL goal and praised him.  

Also praised Garland and OEL.  

Me too I was pleasantly surprised. It was kind of funny when they did the podz goal recap lol

19 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I just hope that no goal doesn't get into Hoglander's head....he's been playing SO well and I don't want him to change a thing.

I don't think it will. It was actually Greiss playing out of position that helped to cause it.

I haven't seen the review, was the puck already going in when that happened?

10 hours ago, runtzguy said:

The problem is Miller, Hughes and Petterson. They cannot be the main ones who control plays on the PP.

Well Hughes does a great job with puck possession and protection. 

It looked to me like Miller and petey turned it over a lot on our pp trying to force things 

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I really hope we have some meat and potatoes players in the later rounds we can develop. 

I also hope Lammikko takes over for some of the duds we have on the forward lines.

Especially when Boeser is back.

I like Rathbone on the offence he provides, but he needs work on defending. 

Maybe Juulsen, Woo, Hamonic or even Bowey moves up to the big team.

Who is handling the PK coaching duties? It's horrible. 

Im not seeing what you are seeing with Rathbone. I think the kid has done well. NHL offensive skills and needs to learn to be a better Defensive player but Quinn Hughes is the same.

When Hamonic is ready to play he can be a better D man but he might lose his spot if Rathbone keeps improving.

As for the PK we are missing two very good penalty killers in Sutter and Motte.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, R3aL said:

Well Hughes does a great job with puck possession and protection. 

It looked to me like Miller and petey turned it over a lot on our pp trying to force things 

Miller needs to stop thinking so much, he does seem to be forcing things.

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I don't think it will. It was actually Greiss playing out of position that helped to cause it.

was just as the puck was being shot from the point. If it hadnt been a goal nothing would have come from it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's a rule.  They watched it on video, and you could see Green saying no goal.   What is the penalty for failing on a coaches call again?   If Green challenged that and lost, which he would have, what would you and others be posting up him instead?   Good grief, we threw the kitchen sink at them in the third, it was like watching Team Canada play the Swiss - and guess who was in net - Griess, the same guy that did exactly the same thing to our countries best a couple of times.    A for effort for everyone in the third period.    This was two points we should of had.    Demko and Markstrom have both done that for us in the past, if we play 50% of our games like this going forward, we win 9/10 every time. 

Swiss?? Pretty sure he plays for Germany 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

It's interesting that it's really hard to find a clip of the goal?  Sportsnet highlights, etc....all fail to show it (I'm trying to find it).  Which only fuels my thinking that it wasn't much of anything at all.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

was just as the puck was being shot from the point. If it hadnt been a goal nothing would have come from it.

yeah it sure seemed like a brush by.

If it had been Mike Smith tho he would have acted like he got shot and splayed like an octopus.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Im not seeing what you are seeing with Rathbone. I think the kid has done well. NHL offensive skills and needs to learn to be a better Defensive player but Quinn Hughes is the same.

When Hamonic is ready to play he can be a better D man but he might lose his spot if Rathbone keeps improving.

As for the PK we are missing two very good penalty killers in Sutter and Motte.

One thing I like is that when he DOES make a mistake, he really goes all out to redeem himself.  Like he doesn't pout/dwell but goes right after the puck to try to correct it.

• Like 1

Just now, JM_ said:

yeah it sure seemed like a brush by.

If it had been Mike Smith tho he would have acted like he got shot and splayed like an octopus.

I keep thinking of what Lu had to endure during the playoffs (I know, it's a different beast then....but that's part of what frustrates me is the inconsistency in it all).  Guys practically sitting on his head and...no call.  Free for all.  And THIS is GI?

• Vintage 2

r

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

It's interesting that it's really hard to find a clip of the goal?  Sportsnet highlights, etc....all fail to show it (I'm trying to find it).  Which only fuels my thinking that it wasn't much of anything at all.

the replay was shown on the broadcast and it was definitely the right call. I hate that it took a goal off the board but if it had been against us we would all say the same. Hogs hit the goalie in the head and turned the goalies head as the puck was being shot from the point. even in slow mo the puck goes in as Greiss turns his head back to the shot. Good call bad break.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I posted the overhead last night on page 15 and Hoggy clips him before the puck goes in.

• Vintage 2

I keep thinking of what Lu had to endure during the playoffs (I know, it's a different beast then....but that's part of what frustrates me is the inconsistency in it all).  Guys practically sitting on his head and...no call.  Free for all.  And THIS is GI?

its definitely a different era with the replay on GI. takes the call away from the Refs. Thos Byfuglien goals would not have counted for Chicago with the rules the same today

One clip I’d like to get a better view of was the offside that was called against the Canucks when they came in for that slick passing and tip-in that most likely would have beat the goalie. They never did show an overhead view of how that was offside.

Just now, -DLC- said:

careful, some wall st guy might come along and accuse you of being a homer :lol:

I've given up on consistency a long time ago. We just need to be better than the refs to go the distance.

I'm pretty pleased with the new look team. 1-1-1 to start the road on three fricking home openers is just fine given how well the team is moving the puck. I can't remember the last time we looked so mobile coming out of our own zone, both with quick little passes or guys like Hughes that just carry it out. Seems like we're back to having more than one option in our zone.

We haven't quite put it together on the F scoring but that will come.

• Cheers 1