The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Son Attacked In Yaletown

-DLC-

10 hours ago, gurn said:

4 on 1. Gutless.

While I totally feel not only for Jim's son,his mother,his daughter who was physically attacked,that upsets me more,and Jim himself, however if this wasn't Jim Benning's son and daughter it would not be news and not many would care 

I know in Melbourne this happens quite often and I am betting it does in

Vancouver. 

Hopefully they both recover both physically and mentally.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I dunno.

I worked clubs on Granville for years. I have seen hundreds of fights, many unprovoked and many outnumbered situations.

Targeted or not I hope these pieces of s**t get theirs. 

Totally.

2 in the morning, alcohol,maybe drugs.

I remember my days of being in that "world".

The chance of $@#$ happening is just about certain somewhere. 

We don't know the story and even if they were targeted violence doesn't condone violence,I speak from experience,what should happen is the culprits  should be arrested,tried,and if found guilty sent to jail.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Totally.

2 in the morning, alcohol,maybe drugs.

I remember my days of being in that "world".

The chance of $@#$ happening is just about certain somewhere. 

We don't know the story and even if they were targeted violence doesn't condone violence,I speak from experience,what should happen is the culprits  should be arrested,tried,and if found guilty sent to jail.

I remember The World after hours at the end of Richards. 

• Cheers 1

I’m going to wait for more information before deciding what to think overall about this situation since we have few details about what happened before the attack and no evidence whether this was targeted or not. That being said anyone committing violence needs to be charged, it is never the answer to anything. I hope Benning’s son and daughter have a speedy recovery from their injuries.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I cant debate you on this and it makes me sad.

I worked DT Van night clubs for 15 years.

I have travelled all around NA as I was also once a touring musician. We once stopped for gas in south Chicago and it was like something out of a movie.

I love Vancouver but in this is something that is an issue. They just love to fight. Back in the 90's there was a shred of respect when scraps happened. That seems to be long gone. 

Well there's definately an anti-establishment type of vibe with those that congregate downtown imho.

It doesn't really exist in downtown Dallas because, nobody lives in downtown Dallas.  It's purely a business district & is completely shut-down at dusk (at least, that how it was about half a decade ago when I was there).  It was THAT creepy walking around at night.  No bums pan handling because well, there's no people around.

edit:  I should say, it's not completely shutdown as there are hotels that cater to conventions and such downtown (that's where I stayed lol).  It just was plain weird not seeing ANY Starbucks around there lol.  Pretty much all restaurants that existed downtown shut-down around dusk (pretty early).   Odd fast food places once you get closer to the highway heading out of downtown.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

Andrew Walker spouting off about Canuck fans and Vancouver like we, as a city and fanbase, are somehow to blame.

So salty.  I'd expect better from someone who was in the business, but I guess that's my first mistake.  No sense of concern for the victims (at all)...just taking swings at Van as a whole.

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Andrew Walker spouting off about Canuck fans and Vancouver like we, as a city and fanbase, are somehow to blame.

So salty.  I'd expect better from someone who was in the business, but I guess that's my first mistake.  No sense of concern for the victims (at all)...just taking swings at Van as a whole.

I'm tired of this. These creeps do not represent the fan base, or are encouraged by them. If anything, its the old 1040 media that likes to incite anger and stokes this stuff not the other way around.

For some reason its OK for "fans" in Montreal to go to the workplaces of team members families and harass them, but thats a wonderful fan base? or all the racist stuff there too?

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm tired of this. These creeps do not represent the fan base, or are encouraged by them. If anything, its the old 1040 media that likes to incite anger and stokes this stuff not the other way around.

For some reason its OK for "fans" in Montreal to go to the workplaces of team members families and harass them, but thats a wonderful fan base? or all the racist stuff there too?

It really diminishes any credibility he has because it's SO unprofessional to do this.  Even if it's your inner thoughts, you express concern for the family/victims.  Nothing.  Just a big Vancouver sucks message being sent by him.  Don't let the door hit ya (or, better yet...do).  

So much disrespect after having made his living off the backs of Vancouver fans/team.  And not just one comment...he's in there, swinging.  Getting ko'd, but not really reading the room at all.

I find his responses so immature.  So much bitterness...just an angry, unemployed troll.

image.png

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It really diminishes any credibility he has because it's SO unprofessional to do this.  Even if it's your inner thoughts, you express concern for the family/victims.  Nothing.  Just a big Vancouver sucks message being sent by him.  Don't let the door hit ya (or, better yet...do).

we so desperately need better media in this market.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I considered myself a fairly big fan of the team and I didn't even know, or even cared to know, whether GMJB had kids. It is hard to believe that this was a targeted attack because of its Canucks association in my opinion. It is possible of course. People did creep on JB at the grocery store. 

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I considered myself a fairly big fan of the team and I didn't even know, or even cared to know, whether GMJB had kids. It is hard to believe that this was a targeted attack because of its Canucks association in my opinion. It is possible of course. People did creep on JB at the grocery store. 

I normally wouldn't suspect "fans" ? :blink: but the escalating story, with the grocery store stalk, crowd funded airplanes, etc. shows that some people are obsessed with their narrative so it's not inconceivable to me.  But likely a random late night drunk/drug fuelled attack.  To pretend this only happens in Vancouver though...all big cities have this element to them.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

sadly, like all fan bases, we have a few weirdo's. That laughable "protest" e.g., this summer with 10 fools. Its unfortunate, and really lame. But it doesn't represent the vast majority of us or our city. That kind of blanket statement by Walker is just lazy, and also designed to make people angry. Which is what's at the root of whats driving these idiots, media people driving anger on twitter and other media.

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

sadly, like all fan bases, we have a few weirdo's. That laughable "protest" e.g., this summer with 10 fools. Its unfortunate, and really lame. But it doesn't represent the vast majority of us or our city. That kind of blanket statement by Walker is just lazy, and also designed to make people angry. Which is what's at the root of whats driving these idiots, media people driving anger on twitter and other media.

The thing is, I'm fully convinced that these "fans" are more fans of having their ideas accepted than real fans of the team.  They get stuck on something and can't move past it....a lot of ego involved.  They do more harm than good.  It's ok to be critical, but there's a limit to that.  And a time to throw in the towel and accept that "it is what it is". 

These people are pigheaded and it's more about that than anything in my mind.  Attention mongers.

Critical fans are great - we need both sides...the homers and those who aren't totally on board with what they see.  But not when it becomes harassment and cruel.  Present your ideas/argument and even rally for change....but, eventually, admit defeat graciously and move on.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

The thing is, I'm fully convinced that these "fans" are more fans of having their ideas accepted than real fans of the team.  They get stuck on something and can't move past it....a lot of ego involved.  They do more harm than good.  It's ok to be critical, but there's a limit to that.  And a time to throw in the towel and accept that "it is what it is". 

These people are pigheaded and it's more about that than anything in my mind.  Attention mongers and it's more about them than the team.

Critical fans are great - we need both sides...the homers and those who aren't totally on board with what they see.  But not when it becomes harassment and cruel. 

Thats where I see a lot of our local media has much of the blame. To me 1040 e.g., was getting unbearable in the constant negativity, and twitter is just gross. Much easier for guys like Walker to just blanket blame all of us, because he knows it will get him attention.

As far as this attack goes, we don't know what this is yet. I won't give Walker the attention by going to his twitter, thats what he's hoping for.

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

What a jerk.

IMO, speaking as a sometimes ornery Benning critic, I believe that a Canuck fan would have actually defended Benning's family from attack, if that was the reason and if they knew that was the reason, and were right there able to jump in.  I would like to think I would.  No matter what kind of doubts I have about Benning's management decisions, we are all Canucks.  Benning is still part of the family.

But I suspect this had nothing to do with that. There's also no reason, at the beginning of the season, with new additions, and a fresh start, that any real fan would be THAT upset at Benning right now.  I certainly am not. Mine are more about the future. But that is for another time. I want to enjoy the Now. I doubt these bozos even can think any deeper about hockey, if they even watch it, than "puck in net...good" "player punch player....great". 

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

That guy still has a job in this market...Guy seems to hate BC should go back east where he is from...

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

That guy still has a job in this market...Guy seems to hate BC should go back east where he is from...

Edit: Glad this guy got canned! Who wastes their time listening to him...waste of air space when he was on the radio here! Maybe one of the negative nancies on this forum is this guy in disguise 

• Vintage 1