The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Power Play Frustrations

Rate this topic

ButterBean

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I haven't really seen OEL bomb it, so I can't say if OEL's shot is average either.  If you want a bomb shouldn't they be putting in Myers?  He has a pretty hard Slapper.

Myers has a hard, inaccurate shot.

Hughes has an average, inaccurate shot.

OEL has a hard, accurate shot.

For the D shot to be an option, they have to fear it enough to spread the PKers out to guard against it. That one adjustment alone might be enough room for EP to uncork a one timer. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You need a hard, accurate shot for that to work. OEL has that. Hughes doesn’t.

I haven't seen it yet.  so how do you know this?  I have seen good wristers that get through.  Haven't seen a hard accurate shot.  His only goal has also been a deflection off of RNH stick.  So how accurate is his shot really if they all get saved?  QH is the right PP QB in my mind.  You also want to save energy for OEL to PK.  Hughes doesn't do that so he might as well take most of the PP time.  Isn't this the proper way to deploy the defense shift times?  Instead of having 1 defenseman doing PK1 and PP1 duties you have 1 guy who does 1 and the other guy who does the other.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Myers has a hard, inaccurate shot.

Hughes has an average, inaccurate shot.

OEL has a hard, accurate shot.

Hughes usually shoots so that the other players can tip it or get the rebound.  He's a cerebral player.

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

I haven't seen it yet.  so how do you know this?  I have seen good wristers that get through.  Haven't seen a hard accurate shot.  His only goal has also been a deflection off of RNH stick.  So how accurate is his shot really if they all get saved?  QH is the right PP QB in my mind.  You also want to save energy for OEL to PK.  Hughes doesn't do that so he might as well take most of the PP time.  Isn't this the proper way to deploy the defense shift times?  Instead of having 1 defenseman doing PK1 and PP1 duties you have 1 guy who does 1 and the other guy who does the other.

You clearly don’t quite understand where the value in point shots comes from. They have to be on net. OEL is really good at getting them to be. They also have to be hard enough to be respected on their own. Again, an OEL feature, not a Hughes one.

OEL is an overall better PP quarterback than Hughes. But even giving Hughes the option of a cross ice to OEL instead of just over to EP would make Hughes and the whole unit more effective and unpredictable.

A bright spot of our Power Play has been Hughes, followed by Horvat. Hughes has been dangerous on the point, and Horvat has been dangerous in the slot.

Pettersson--a big part of our power play--has been too static, and standing too far off from the circle, taking away his shot. 
With how well Garland has been playing, I wonder if we should bump him up to the 1st unit. However, he looks comfortable with OEL. 

Our power play should be better this season with our improved second unit. However, our first unit is spending too much time doing nothing. 
Once Pettersson gets going, and he will, I think our powerplay will improve significantly.

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So does OEL. He is just better at it. Hughes is a passer, not a shooter. That’s not to slag on him. He just doesn’t shoot the puck as well and misses the net a lot.

He might miss the net, but only by a bit, and he usually aims for the right spot. I'm encouraged by the progress of his shot.
OEL gets his shot on net a lot more. Not just more than Hughes, but almost any player we've had on defense in a long time. 

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So does OEL. He is just better at it. Hughes is a passer, not a shooter. That’s not to slag on him. He just doesn’t shoot the puck as well and misses the net a lot.

We will agree to disagree.  I think QH is the better PP QB.  You think it's OEL.  Let's hope that whoever is manning the point that the PP is productive.

6 hours ago, Viper007 said:

We will agree to disagree.  I think QH is the better PP QB.  You think it's OEL.  Let's hope that whoever is manning the point that the PP is productive.

I think both are good and should be on the top unit as they are both better options than the 4th forward.

We have not had 2 dmen who were top pp guys since arguably the days of Edler, Erhoff, and Salo. Now that we do we can retire the 4 forward system.

Rathbone can handle 30 seconds of pp time on the 2nd unit IMO 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think both are good and should be on the top unit as they are both better options than the 4th forward.

We have not had 2 dmen who were top pp guys since arguably the days of Edler, Erhoff, and Salo. Now that we do we can retire the 4 forward system.

Rathbone can handle 30 seconds of pp time on the 2nd unit IMO 

Teams tend to prefer 2 Ds on their 2nd unit because once the penalised player comes out of the box it's not ideal to have only 1 D on the ice.

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The power play needs movement. Hughes one move is great but watch how teams set up against our pp. They know it’s going Miller to Hughes to Petey, rinse and repeat. 

OEL can move and move the puck but he has one thing Hughes doesn’t: the opposition has to be wary of him shooting the puck too.

Absolutely.   At this point i don't mind that we have two units - because we should.   Maybe Garland deserves a chance on the first unit instead as well.  I'm not terribly worried about it (yet)...guys need some actual practice time and a lot more in game reps before i start joining the coaching freak out crowd.   Could happen though lol. 

Edit:  Remember how dismal the Sedins PP became?   I certainly do. Brocks rookie year he wasn't part of it right away...we were doing our usual spin cycle with no results ... around 23rd in the league just like the year before.   Brock came in and the entire thing changed.   Went from 23rd to 9th overall rather quickly.    The guys need sometime to get in sync again, EP well enough had been said about him, hasn't got his groove on yet but it should come.   Miller is fine but maybe not in the right spot.   I'd give it another 10-15 reps or so, if things don't go back to where they probably should be (5-9th overall, I say that because EPs rookie year i think we were 5th and no Sedins then) then shake it all up.   Travis Green isn't a terrible coach, at least that's the experts view.   He's still got the room and aside from the Buffalo game the effort level is ok to very good.   Don't agree with some things especially Gadj, but also get that Chiasson is more developed and as a vet you know what to expect.    

20 game mark is big enough to judge.    The expert expectations with this roster is 86-89 points.    In other words a bubble wild card team.   Should have a pretty good idea where things lie by then. 

Edit:  When i say 10-15 reps that means PPs not games ... I've seen enough real roster juggling to know that Green at least is fairly patient.   Some games he's playing guys that he thinks are on more that's about it.    Players need time to get used to each other .... Podz not there is something of a mystery for sure - coaches working extra time and hard to change or fix something i suppose.   But expect to see him back soon. 

Edited by IBatch

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.   At this point i don't mind that we have two units - because we should.   Maybe Garland deserves a chance on the first unit instead as well.  I'm not terribly worried about it (yet)...guys need some actual practice time and a lot more in game reps before i start joining the coaching freak out crowd.   Could happen though lol. 

This home stand represents the end of the early season excuses though. Every year it’s the same thing. Team isn’t ready to play. Adjustments are slow to come if they come at all. Tons of excuses blaming outside factors to absolve the coaches from any responsibility.

If there aren’t major adjustments to the PP, the PK, and the passive defensive zone strategy in the next few weeks, there needs to be a change. All 3 of those are ineffective at the NHL level.

And if they are going to use the drop pass on the pp they need to use it for its whole purpose: to be able to attack the line with speed on entry. The Canucks do it so slowly it kills any positive effect.

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This home stand represents the end of the early season excuses though. Every year it’s the same thing. Team isn’t ready to play. Adjustments are slow to come if they come at all. Tons of excuses blaming outside factors to absolve the coaches from any responsibility.

If there aren’t major adjustments to the PP, the PK, and the passive defensive zone strategy in the next few weeks, there needs to be a change.

More new  players in the roster then last year i'm going to guess.    I don't have the answers, wish i did.   All these guys are elite hockey players.   As long as Torts doesn't come back i'd be happy for a change if we aren't getting it done as quickly as we should.   Last year it took 16 games - then we were the better team most games (while EP was out), most games until Covid.   That's a massive excuse really.   Agree that "excuses" are running out,  but also agree with the experts, this isn't a contending roster yet, and only will become one if all the young guys take big steps and we don't end up losing too many due to cap.   Garland and OEL are master strokes, both worth every cent and more really.    Not to put this all on EP, but where would we be right now if all he did was produce .93 per game, and Brock Boeser too?   That is enough to have a pretty decent winning percentage.    So far the early season has been salvaged because of Garland, the OEL effect and Demko.   That's it.   Ok add Myers, and Horvat too...I'm willing to be patient and see how things unfold.   We aren't Tampa Bay, or Washington, or Vegas, Florida etc... the only coach in the league right now, that is leaps and bounds better then the rest is Trotz.  

Edited by IBatch