The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

It looks like our guys have tuned green out, at least the ones that have played for him for a while now.  The new guys like garland and OEL are playing good hockey, and a guy like Bailey trying to make the team looks good too.  Everyone else not named Horvat or Demko does not look good out there. 

TBenning has given green the best roster any coach here has had in almost a decade, if he can't get it to work and at least play over .500 hockey, he's going to be looking for a new job.

I was watching a Canucks video recently on their first 4 games on that road trip.  There was a video where Nolan B was showing the Canucks film and they looked so tuned out it wasn’t even funny lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ey40 said:

But peoples are saying it is the players’ fault that our team sucks!

That is just a bunch of BS. We hire AHL coaches and expect them to all be great NHL coaches. Where is Willie D right now? I knew Flames would eventually turn it around by hiring Sutter last season and look how its been going for them this season eventhough they didnt have huge additions aside from coleman and actually a subtraction due to Giordano leaving. Sutter is an NHL caliber coach that has won multiple stanley cups. We have yet to hire a coach worth his salt. We keep turning the roster over and improving it but the AHL coaching stays the same. We could have easily beat the Wild tonight with a different coach. Because: 

A) He would have fixed a major flaw in our teams defensive play 

B  ) He would fix the PP by actually changing personnel and setup

C) He would deploy the lines differently

D ) He would have maybe kept Gadjovic and Juolevi while sent Rathbone to AHL for more development time

I mean the fact he tries the same failing formula is the reason our team will always be bad defensively even when we overturn the roster.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Dekey Pete said:

It looks like our guys have tuned green out, at least the ones that have played for him for a while now.  The new guys like garland and OEL are playing good hockey, and a guy like Bailey trying to make the team looks good too.  Everyone else not named Horvat or Demko does not look good out there. 

TBenning has given green the best roster any coach here has had in almost a decade, if he can't get it to work and at least play over .500 hockey, he's going to be looking for a new job.

Good take.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

8 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

I agree it was a mistake to keep Green, and yes i do believe tanev was the only move that backfired since 2017 if you can think of another one i'd love to hear it, Re-signig of Green was pressured by the owner so i am giving JB the benefit of the doubt, I think this roster is so much better then they are playing and firing JB rn wont change anything

Overpaying for Rousell and Beagle were mistakes. Trading futures for Toffoli and then letting him walk while resigning Virtanen only to buy him out the next offseason. Same goes for Holtby, bought out the next season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Because they could all coach better than he could.

He seems like he’s reading out of a hockey for dummies book. At least with Shaw you can tell he provides some real insight and knowledge of the game.

Another thing I noticed is Greens pregame speeches. Nothing about them instills confidence or a willingness to go through walls for him. He literally goes over the fundamentals of hockey every game that he reads off a cheat sheet. Almost as bad as Willie and his clipboard…

Green has been given a roster with more depth and based on the on ice product, he is only cementing why he has a winning percentage under .500.

Have we won a game where Miller started at center?

I think he got waved out of almost every single draw. Guess you can’t have bad face off numbers of you never take them. :ph34r:

But if this team is one Dickinson injury away from the whole system breaking down, there’s clearly some deep fundamental flaws.

Cant wait to see Hunt, Schenn, and Burroughs all dress for a game!

I worry $$$$ may be the issue. Im sure we aren't the only one pointing fingers. Covid times- feel like we're trying to make ends meet. Owners bleeding from not having fans in The building for almost 2 seasons. And now we want to shell out more money for a new coach....

From ownerships perspective, coaching is a want more than a need. Getting people in the building is no.1 priority. The ones that are goin aren't exactly the ones that screaming fire green. Its also not a guarantee that'll solve all our problems right away.

who exactly is available? And how much would it cost realistically? 

Edited by StiffStick33

1 minute ago, whysoserious said:

Overpaying for Rousell and Beagle were mistakes. Trading futures for Toffoli and then letting him walk while resigning Virtanen only to buy him out the next offseason. Same goes for Holtby, bought out the next season. 

Roussel had a great first year for us, knee injuries destroyed the rest of his time here, I really liked beagle i thought and still do think he is a better 4c then sutter, he was about 1mill over paid for my liking but you have to overpay to get a guy to come to a rebuilding team, Hoblty was a safe bet incase Demko flopped, Was only bought as he wasn't needed anymore, Virtanen was coming off a career year looking like he finally took a step forward into becoming a good top 6 winger was the safer option to go with the younger player over the older Toffoli, I think with out the allegations made against him he still is a canuck today, Toffoli was a smart trade Brock had just been injured for the rest of season and we needed someone to fit his role as a top 6 winger, that's about the price you pay for a rental 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

Who is available for coaching?  I'm not into Babcock, or Tortorella. That being said if Benning doesn't move fast we'll see Chicago and Toronto grabbing best coaches available .

Could see Benning bringing in Julien :lol:

No matter who he brings in (or doesn’t bring in) this will be his last card to play if this team doesn’t get going.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Have we won a game where Miller started at center?

I think he got waved out of almost every single draw. Guess you can’t have bad face off numbers of you never take them. :ph34r:

But if this team is one Dickinson injury away from the whole system breaking down, there’s clearly some deep fundamental flaws.

Cant wait to see Hunt, Schenn, and Burroughs all dress for a game!

The Canucks won the face-off duel 55% to 45% this game.  

Miller went 10 for 16 - 63%.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

36 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green and Baumgartner for sure. King has no answers on the PP. Get someone who does. I would even take Newell Brown back over him.

The only coaches we have that are worth keeping are Clark and Shaw. 

The problem with the team is related to hiring coaches. I mean how does King get the job when we had Malhotra internally and let him walk without giving him an offer? We didnt even give Burrows a call to join our coaching staff. We also didnt look outside the organization for an NHL caliber coach like Gallant or even someone like Babcock. I just dont see Green leading this team to the stanley cup. That playoff run was due to Demko, Markstrom and Hughes playing like hall of famers. Now am not even sure if Green can lead us to even make the playoffs. The year we made the playoffs, it was a season that was cut short due to pandemic and I remember we were sliding almost out of playoff spot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The problem with the team is related to hiring coaches. I mean how does King get the job when we had Malhotra internally and let him walk without giving him an offer? We didnt even give Burrows a call to join our coaching staff. We also didnt look outside the organization for an NHL caliber coach like Gallant or even someone like Babcock. I just dont see Green leading this team to the stanley cup. That playoff run was due to Demko, Markstrom and Hughes playing like hall of famers. Now am not even sure if Green can lead us to even make the playoffs. The year we made the playoffs, it was a season that was cut short due to pandemic and I remember we were sliding almost out of playoff spot. 

Malholtra went to the leafs last season.  It would've been nice to keep him though.  This was a FA thing.  Cut back on a lot of spending due to COVID.

Edited by Viper007

There were games on the road trip that the opposing team rarely touched the puck,.

I wonder if tonight was overconfidence?    

not doing the simple things, not making the secure passes, to control the play, it was like we were grasping for the super hero play and fumbling and giving away.

The pp we scored on was all about controlling the puck..  the rest of the game not.

Petey needs a skate or stick adjustment,  this growth spurt has him waaay off balance.

5 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

Roussel had a great first year for us, knee injuries destroyed the rest of his time here, I really liked beagle i thought and still do think he is a better 4c then sutter, he was about 1mill over paid for my liking but you have to overpay to get a guy to come to a rebuilding team, Hoblty was a safe bet incase Demko flopped, Was only bought as he wasn't needed anymore, Virtanen was coming off a career year looking like he finally took a step forward into becoming a good top 6 winger was the safer option to go with the younger player over the older Toffoli, I think with out the allegations made against him he still is a canuck today, Toffoli was a smart trade Brock had just been injured for the rest of season and we needed someone to fit his role as a top 6 winger, that's about the price you pay for a rental 

It seems JB fell in love with the idea of having mentoring veteran.  With hindsight, he overpayed for players that plays a style that doesnt age well.  It seems he had learned SOME lesson and the current roster shows he had learned something.

I hate this boring, stifling, dump-and-chase style of hockey that the Canucks are playing. The only reason I can come up with is that Green (with the approval of JB and Aquaman) really believes that that is the only way they will be successful once they get in the playoffs - where there won't be much room to skate, the middle of the ice will not be available, blah-blah-blah. Never mind the fact that Tampa Bay doesn't employ that boring system...

• Cheers 1