The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Blake Comeau, Tanner Kero, Rocco Grimaldi

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Not sure why they put Comeau on waivers but this comes one day after they lost to Nashville. After the game the team had a half hour players only meeting. Meanwhile Bowness met with the press for 29 seconds and had this to say:

F70DB65D-FD8B-46B2-A6E4-C5CC33A988E9.jpeg

Interesting…

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just don’t know how a team with the worst pk in the league wouldn’t take a chance on him.

Like can he really bring any less than Chiasson or Dowling at this point?

Maybe he even sparks Dickinson to be better too.

I think it’s a pretty low risk/medium reward move.

We need all the cap space we can manage right now. That should be priority.

image.gif.660ea14bc4c458cf01eed7a814d706e9.gif

17 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Not sure why they put Comeau on waivers but this comes one day after they lost to Nashville. After the game the team had a half hour players only meeting. Meanwhile Bowness met with the press for 29 seconds and had this to say:

I guess the answer is that Blake Comeau is what was wrong with the team!  But seriously, I see that Comeau recently returned from missing 6 games with an "upper body injury"  He missed some games at the end of last season with the same, mysterious LBI.  If this is actually concussion problems, then that may be why they are seeing him as less effective this year and someone they're wanting to part with.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I mean they have a 24th ranked penalty kill and are 31st in the league in goals scored.

It’s not hard to figure out what’s wrong. They need to score more and kill more penalties.

I think this move might be just as much about opening roster spots to fix their scoring woes.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A one million dollar contract doesn’t affect that.

They can easily bury it if it doesn’t work out.

If even part of that 1million is required to bring Motte (even Sutter) off IR then that space should be priority.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I’d take a chance on Comeau. Physical PK 4th liner with experience and ties to some of the players here. 

Only 1M and expires this year. Not much risk. 

Even if he’s not the elite penalty killer he was I think he could mentor a lot of our guys.

Our 4th line works hard and is energetic but it’s clear they’re still struggling with Xs and Os. Comeau could help in that department.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

If even part of that 1million is required to bring Motte (even Sutter) off IR then that space should be priority.

We can’t wait around all season for Sutter. This team needs help now.

There’s a chance he may not even return either.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean they have a 24th ranked penalty kill and are 31st in the league in goals scored.

It’s not hard to figure out what’s wrong. They need to score more and kill more penalties.

I think this move might be just as much about opening roster spots to fix their scoring woes.

Bowness is starting to take heat on their boards with fans complaining about dump and chase. Sounds familiar.

Bang on about opening roster spots, they just called up Riley Tufte (5G + 2A in 10 games). Still odd though as Comeau was one of their most trusted players last year. Has he slowed down that much?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Even if he’s not the elite penalty killer he was I think he could mentor a lot of our guys.

Our 4th line works hard and is energetic but it’s clear they’re still struggling with Xs and Os. Comeau could help in that department.

For sure. Blake has 900 games experience and would definitely help out. Even if he’s a 13th forward with a healthy team he adds physicality, PK and checking game. 

Just get rid of Chiasson

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We can’t wait around all season for Sutter. This team needs help now.

There’s a chance he may not even return either.

Absolutely, and don’t get me wrong, I like Comeau. But I think there are better moves. We can’t keep trying other teams cast offs. If we’re gonna solidify the bottom 6 then unfortunately it should be through trade for someone bonafide that isn’t brought in with the thought of potentially waiving them or burying their contract.  We need stability.

I am your hype man, Bobby D…

image.gif.b00ee7da48b97dfd9b652400d796d703.gif

but I can’t agree with you on this one 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Absolutely, and don’t get me wrong, I like Comeau. But I think there are better moves. We can’t keep trying other teams cast offs. If we’re gonna solidify the bottom 6 then unfortunately it should be through trade for someone bonafide that isn’t brought in with the thought of potentially waiving them.

I would rather try the bargain bin route than give up any more picks or prospects though. We’re already running thin in that department.

I also don’t think you’re gonna do much better in a trade. Any players that are available through trade are available for the same reason as ones on waivers.

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

So, Comeau has shared a checking line with Dickinson, in the same system as Dowling, played jr. with Schenn, was a Islander teammate of Hamonic, was in Columbus at the same as Ian Clarke, could see him being on the Canucks' radar - esp. at a buriable 1M.

So much connection, so many ties... I don't see any reason why JB won't do it... Total upgrade over Chiasson and more importantly familiar with Dickinson and Dowling! 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would rather try the bargain bin route than give up any more picks or prospects though. We’re already running thin in that department.

I also don’t think you’re gonna do much better in a trade. Any players that are available through trade are available for the same reason as ones on waivers.

Oh You dollar store skank, you

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

That's an interesting wrinkle... :huh:

50 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If you claim a +/- $1m guy, you waive another +/- 1m guy that he's then replacing. Basically a net zero effect on cap.

If you can improve the team, cap isn't a reason to not claim a guy in this scenario.

• Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's an interesting wrinkle... :huh:

If you claim a +/- $1m guy, you waive another +/- 1m guy that he's then replacing. Basically a net zero effect on cap.

If you can improve the team, cap isn't a reason to not claim a guy in this scenario.

We are likely going to need to replace Sutter. Do you really want to do that with a 36 year old on the decline who may have existing injury issues? 
I’d rather us find a younger, solid long term replacement if possible, and put whatever cap we have towards that. 

Any money spent is still real to FA.