The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Colorado Avalanche | Nov. 11, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The Cap dumps were good and Garland and OEL seem to be playing fairly well.Its the regression some of the team has made that cant be explained.

How did Pettersson become so poor as fast as the ink dried upon his new contract. His attitude changed as well. theres no fire, no back check,

Defensively theres really no excuses. This is exactly what the pundits were saying would happen. The D isnt very good. Demko has to play lights out just to keep the team in it.

Im not sure if there are long term covid effects at work here, im not one for excuses but they dont look very fast at the best of times.

What confounds me is the inability to score even on the power play. It really makes no sense that this team cant put up more than 2 goals a game

One sure way to tell how things are going is to watch the guys glaring at each other, shaking their heads after plays, not a lot of stick taps other than to Demko when he bails them out. The body language on this team is telling. The players look like they have given up already other than a few players.

A change needs to happen or you can write this season off.

Well said

Body language is soooo telling

We look broken

Something has to give

Always a fan but was thoroughly disgusted when I went to bed 

• Cheers 4

10 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Nah, jb will let go of tg, baumer and king first.  Shaw will get interm title.

Identity?  Team is full of marshmellows.

Teams been full of marshmellows for almost 2 decades now.  That’s the biggest problem. For some reason every GM that comes in thinks our fan base doesn’t want tough hard nosed hockey. Must have something to do with the culture of our city. They seem to think our fan base doesn’t want tough physical belligerent hockey players. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Why are the players getting a free pass from you guys?  It's mostly fire Green or Benning, did either tell Petey to play like $&!#, or tell Bo to be Captain Vanilla.  Where's the leadership?  If this team has quit on the coach then this team is full of pouting whiners that I don't even want to cheer for.  No wonder Edler left.

Because it’s a poorly constructed team

I don’t even think it’s on Green. It’s on JB and ownership. 

team lacks depth lacks D, no 3c no PK, zero toughness. 

it’s a bottom 5 team the way it’s constructed. Bottom 3 really more realistically

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Why are the players getting a free pass from you guys?  It's mostly fire Green or Benning, did either tell Petey to play like $&!#, or tell Bo to be Captain Vanilla.  Where's the leadership?  If this team has quit on the coach then this team is full of pouting whiners that I don't even want to cheer for.  No wonder Edler left.

He'll throw anyone in the doghouse if they don't listen to him, including Bo. 

Not even scoring will protect a lot of players from being benched. And or shipped out. 

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I love this team and that's no secret.  But you have to wonder "why", there's no logic in this.  We have some great individual players yet we can't get them to succeed on a sustained basis.  For me, that is starting to really point to the those leading the charge who aren't communicating their "visions/strategies/systems" very well to the ones expected to implement them.

I feel it's time to try new coaches (not just coach....take Baumer and King out as part of the package).  The body language and communication on the bench is clearly tense and even though it's normal during horrible losing streaks to see that, the coach has to be composed and lead.  I heard a clip from Green recently (during practice) where he came off as too cool for school and I wonder if he's stuck on ideas and  unwilling to be proven wrong?  For me, coaches who start to yell at their team and poke and prod them are lacking in other strategies to get them motivated.  It may scare them into having an impact, but the relationship sours and you get tuned out.  I realllly feel like the players are tuning him out and what I see happening on the bench reinforces that for me.

Truth be told (and this something stupid), but I've also come to HATE the pre-game slo-mo videos of the boys boarding planes/buses, looking sharp, etc.  Screw all that, this isn't Hollywood.  I made a comment about JT wearing work boots (remember they did that once?) but it's not far off the thinking that they have to have that mentality.  I don't want ego and "image is everything" crap to seep in.  On ice is everything...the glory and the fame don't come before that, they come after it.  I used to love the behind the scenes sneak peeks but it was players being "human".  Playing poker on a plane.  Laughing and having some fun.  Now it's a parade of individuals looking slick...the marketing is starting to grate on me.  We have these huge, elaborate pre-game movies and I'm doing a complete 180 here...used to love them.  When I'm there in person, I get it (still do).  But hockey is the real show.  All that means nothing if the on ice product isn't the blockbuster event.

I have confidence in the players but I want someone to get them fully focused on the job at hand.  I don't want to hear them talking or see them strutting their stuff.  I want them to have pre and post games that shut all this other stuff out.  I wish they'd decline having video cameras following them around until they do....tell everyone to piss off (in stronger phrasing).

I don't want Podz and Hoglander (and Petey and Quinn and Brock and etc.) to get wrecked and it's clearly apparent that something needs to give here.  I feel it's the coaches at this point, even if it's not their "fault" or they're to blame, change is required.  If it isn't working, at some point, you have to try something different.

I won't ever abandon ship...I'm a lifer and will suffer along with my team.  I see so much potential and it's gut wrenching to see it all being wasted.

The suits thing is a league mandate. It's about players looking like professionals. Some like Auston Matthews seem to cry about it. 

There has been talk to allowing "business casual". I'm sure it will come up in the GM meetings. As long as the coaching change is not a retread 

like Torts/AV etc. I'm fine. 

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The suits thing is a league mandate. It's about players looking like professionals. Some like Auston Matthews seem to cry about it. 

There has been talk to allowing "business casual". I'm sure it will come up in the GM meetings. As long as the coaching change is not a retread 

like Torts/AV etc. I'm fine. 

Oh I get that.....it's important.  But the slo-mo hair tossing videos and SM posts by swooning girls can become part of the "culture" if it's all absorbed.  I'm not saying don't wear suits (at all)...it sets a tone of professionalism.  I'm talking about the entire product as it's being marketed and the glam aspect.  Not responsible for our team's performance and insignificant....but their mindset has to be gritty, dirty warrior, not pretty.   

I'm just venting, really.  Hockey is life for me when my family's not around and I wear it all day long.  We're trending in the wrong direction and that concerns agitates me.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I love this team and that's no secret.  But you have to wonder "why", there's no logic in this.  We have some great individual players yet we can't get them to succeed on a sustained basis.  For me, that is starting to really point to the those leading the charge who aren't communicating their "visions/strategies/systems" very well to the ones expected to implement them.

I feel it's time to try new coaches (not just coach....take Baumer and King out as part of the package).  The body language and communication on the bench is clearly tense and even though it's normal during horrible losing streaks to see that, the coach has to be composed and lead.  I heard a clip from Green recently (during practice) where he came off as too cool for school and I wonder if he's stuck on ideas and  unwilling to be proven wrong?  For me, coaches who start to yell at their team and poke and prod them are lacking in other strategies to get them motivated.  It may scare them into having an impact, but the relationship sours and you get tuned out.  I realllly feel like the players are tuning him out and what I see happening on the bench reinforces that for me.

Truth be told (and this something stupid), but I've also come to HATE the pre-game slo-mo videos of the boys boarding planes/buses, looking sharp, etc.  Screw all that, this isn't Hollywood.  I made a comment about JT wearing work boots (remember they did that once?) but it's not far off the thinking that they have to have that mentality.  I don't want ego and "image is everything" crap to seep in.  On ice is everything...the glory and the fame don't come before that, they come after it.  I used to love the behind the scenes sneak peeks but it was players being "human".  Playing poker on a plane.  Laughing and having some fun.  Now it's a parade of individuals looking slick...the marketing is starting to grate on me.  We have these huge, elaborate pre-game movies and I'm doing a complete 180 here...used to love them.  When I'm there in person, I get it (still do).  But hockey is the real show.  All that means nothing if the on ice product isn't the blockbuster event.

I have confidence in the players but I want someone to get them fully focused on the job at hand.  I don't want to hear them talking or see them strutting their stuff.  I want them to have pre and post games that shut all this other stuff out.  I wish they'd decline having video cameras following them around until they do....tell everyone to piss off (in stronger phrasing).

I don't want Podz and Hoglander (and Petey and Quinn and Brock and etc.) to get wrecked and it's clearly apparent that something needs to give here.  I feel it's the coaches at this point, even if it's not their "fault" or they're to blame, change is required.  If it isn't working, at some point, you have to try something different.

I won't ever abandon ship...I'm a lifer and will suffer along with my team.  I see so much potential and it's gut wrenching to see it all being wasted.

I agree. This is what tuned me out of the NBA, too slick and too cool for school.I'll pack my bags and go play with a big market or I'll go join a big star player. 

81-82 was a lunch bucket team who played for each other. A big part of that IS the physical game. We've ignored that fact at our own peril, we have zero push back and what push back we had has been coached out of us or traded away. 

Makes us the winner of who's the funnest team to play against award. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, whcanuck said:

The postgame guys keeps saying “ownership has no intention of making a change.” Man that just makes my blood boil. Does the whole season need to be flushed away before we do anything? Like why are we waiting? This isn’t some slump or tough stretch. There is something VERY wrong with this hockey team. They’re not responding at all. It’s year 5 of Green & year 8 of Benning, at some point you have to get RESULTS! That’s the whole reason you play, to WIN! There is still time to salvage this season, but not if you wait two or three more weeks & the losses just keep mounting. Do something now!

Ownership has thrown so much money away thanks to JB the king of excuses mismanagement. 
Now fire a coach that was just resigned. he should have never been resigned . 

JB is the one that needs to be fired first. he should have been fired in he summer but his contract saved him. 

im still not sure anyone of quality will work for FA hence why we get all rookies. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

Oh I get that.....it's important.  But the slo-mo hair tossing videos and SM posts by swooning girls can become part of the "culture" if it's all absorbed.  I'm not saying don't wear suits (at all)...it sets a tone of professionalism.  I'm talking about the entire product as it's being marketed.  

I'm just venting, really.  Hockey is life for me when my family's not around and I wear it all day long.  We're trending in the wrong direction and that concerns me.  

I get that. The mini-movie they had to start the season, looked impressive. But honestly, I would rather the players be at practice, and improving their craft. And this is coming from a guy who has a marketing diploma. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I get that. The mini-movie they had to start the season, looked impressive. But honestly, I would rather the players be at practice, and improving their craft. And this is coming from a guy who has a marketing diploma. 

I do know that it's to generate interest/enthusiasm and...bottom line, sell the product and make money.

But, at times, it gets in the way of it all for me.  It's in stark contrast...when the wheels are falling off in nearly every single category (special teams, face offs, etc.).   

Just my personal frustration...I don't want to see the cutesy stuff when I'm kicking a chair across my living room.

• Vintage 4

There seems to be a big problem in the room,, hirsch alluded to it as well.. why did schmidt want out so quickly? The team is constructed with perimeter players with skill,, however, which players do the dirty work?  All teams need role players,, are we relying on pods and hoggie for this?  What about everybody else!  Who on this team diggs and fights and goes to the dirty areas?  

• Cheers 2