The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

8 minutes ago, IRR said:

I don't disagree. Just too much blame on one side when it should be across the board. Yes he assemble this team, but there is NO way this roster is anywhere near this bad! 

The defense is pretty bad. Forward group is soft. We are in year 8. Benning hired Green. Benning is deserving of all the blame. 

Just now, GoldStandard said:

The defense is pretty bad. Forward group is soft. We are in year 8. Benning hired Green. Benning is deserving of all the blame. 

They both get blame...100%! Change is needed! But, people are just riding the hate train if they think this roaster should be this bad and don't get any blame. It's just straight facts, logic & common sense. Funny, no one was saying they'd be this bad before the season started. 

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

They both get blame...100%! Change is needed! But, people are just riding the hate train if they think this roaster should be this bad and don't get any blame. It's just straight facts, logic & common sense. Funny, no one was saying they'd be this bad before the season started. 

People were definitely pretty worried about the D.
I admit the lack of scoring punch is a surprise for me, but I’m not shocked they’re at this point. 

Fire Green - and the terrible assistant Coaches ( not including Clark of course, the only decent one we have ) Don't think there are many who won't agree with that one. 

Gotta say i'm finally on board the fire Benning train too.  I understood a lot of what Benning did up to this point, The overpaid bottom 6, I think until age / injury caught up with them they did hold the kids accountable and played hard minutes - look at us now they are gone ! The lack of luck at the draft lottery - nothing u can do there, Trading for Miller etc. We had a good looking core - you gotta push the button some time and go for it right ?! 

But now looking at where we are with the team and canucks organization under this management : 

Resigning Green was a really bad move - we all thought it at the time. The writing was on the wall last year and its just got much worse with even better players added. 

Remember when we lost to Boston and the plan was the get bigger and faster - well that went up the $&!#ter didn't it - left with a team of soft ass smurfs playing dump and chase, the only one of them willing to even stick up for a team mate is the 30 YO Swede with zero fighting majors in his entire career :picard: No identity - other than a team that limps around and hopes a hot goalie frustates the opposition so bad they let in a few softies. 

Organizationally there are huge problems too. Scouting is still sub par - Yes we've had a few gems - but over 8 years of high drafts and were still below league average last i checked!! Just too many draft or prospect misses. Completely unable to assess Character issues - How many people on hear were screaming about Jake in his draft year, why did Mcann drop - was O.J lazy ?  Zero success outside round 2 of the draft AGAIN - seeing Terry playing in AH makes u wanna puke - as does the price we paid for Garland. 

Massive strategic problems - losing valuable players or picks for nothing. Signing players with serious injury or personal problems. 

Fitness and conditioning training is a joke.  Massive injuries every year.  Fat Jake, Slow ripped Brock, Skinny Pete, Long Covid O.J. - constantly unable to sustain play on long east coast road trips. 

Player Development - After all the bad time with Wolves we still don't have a farm team that can develop for $&!#. No F or D on the roster have come through the farm. Not even our support players.

GM and Coach not being on the same page. 

We talk about a losing culture - but this is a organization which is performing below par on so many fronts.  Sure you can chalk a few mistakes up to bad luck or external factors. Yes the cupboard was very bare and the Vets were either handcuffing or valueless when the rebuild started. . .  But where do we excel as an organization under this management group - I'd love to hear ? 

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, IRR said:

I don't disagree. Just too much blame on one side when it should be across the board. Yes he assemble this team, but there is NO way this roster is anywhere near this bad! 

I absolutely agree. It starts with ownership and goes right down to the players. You can tell Greens voice isn’t resonating in the room because players just aren’t engaged on a game to game basis outside of a few guys. Green does need to go but you can’t let Benning hire his replacement because he needs to go too. Benning first and let the new GM decide what he wants to do behind the bench 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

That's because most people here were overrating this team. Saying things like it's the best team since 2012, easy playoff contender, etc. Most projections had us missing the playoffs or a bubble playoff team. We're performing worse than those projections, but the way we're performing now is probably closer to reality than those 2012 comparisons. So many here was calling last year a fluke, but in reality the bubble playoff run was much more of a fluke (unreal goaltending, once in a lifetime play in format, etc.). Last year's team was not a playoff team, and despite spending all the way to the cap, selling multiple 1st and 2nd round picks we did not improve the roster much this year.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I absolutely agree. It starts with ownership and goes right down to the players. You can tell Greens voice isn’t resonating in the room because players just aren’t engaged on a game to game basis outside of a few guys. Green does need to go but you can’t let Benning hire his replacement because he needs to go too. Benning first and let the new GM decide what he wants to do behind the bench 

Spot on! Totally agree! 

41 minutes ago, Sanford said:

It's the GM that assembled this team, there is obviously some blame on the players but do you really want Jim Benning at the helm again making trades to "improve" this team?  NO.  You fire Jim Benning and clean house.  Let a new GM come in here that will bring his own coach as well as time to assess this team for the year.  Once the new GM has analyzed this team, then he can make some moves that he thinks is necessary.  Enough of this mediocracy.  Enough. 

Yep. My right now list of things to do.

1. Hire Jim Rutherford (or someone equally capable) as PoHO. 

2. Fire Benning and Weisbrod. Rutherford takes over as Interim GM and starts an extensive search for a long term GM.

3. Fire every coach not named Shaw or Clark.

4. Name Shaw Interim HC. Hire experienced assistants, maybe even former head coaches looking for another shot. Take time to revamp the systems and style and assess the roster before making any big moves.

5. Let the new GM hire his coach. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

That's because most people here were overrating this team. Saying things like it's the best team since 2012, easy playoff contender, etc. Most projections had us missing the playoffs or a bubble playoff team. We're performing worse than those projections, but the way we're performing now is probably closer to reality than those 2012 comparisons. So many here was calling last year a fluke, but in reality the bubble playoff run was much more of a fluke (unreal goaltending, once in a lifetime play in format, etc.). Last year's team was not a playoff team, and despite spending all the way to the cap, selling multiple 1st and 2nd round picks we did not improve the roster much this year.

The fact this likely IS the best team since 2012 is proof Benning needs to:

go away gtfo GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

Yup.

Only on this specific forum did people think we were a great team.

Only on this specific forum do people think Benning is a good GM, or should get more time.

Only on this specific forum did the majority think Player Name was a good signing, Gudbranson was a good trade, Myers was a good signing, etc.

Only on this specific forum did people bury their heads in the sand when others warned "should really manage your assets during a rebuild, especially picks and cap."

The list goes on. 

Tells you all you need to know.

Should have been fired 7 years ago when he said Sbisa will be a future top-4 D-man for us. That tells you enough about his hockey "knowledge".

Edited by kanucks25

17 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

Our offense on paper is a playoff offense.

Our defence is still bottom 5 in the league.  Maybe even bottom 3. Besides OEL and Hughes the rest of the Dcore are scrubs, and we have nobody coming in the pipeline.

I wish teams watched what Yzerman does.  The guy builds from the net out, doesnt make any rushed decisions via free agency or trades for older players.

He stockpiles picks and builds through the draft. And the times he does make trades it's to bring in a young stud like Alex Nedeljkovic for basically nothing. This kid has solidified their goaltending for the next decade and it cost them nothing.

This is how you build a team in the salary cap world. Not by signing vets to ridiculous contracts or trading 1st round picks left and right. Its fu*king ridiculous how many picks this team has traded in the past few years, as if were contenders.

Edited by CanuckGAME

I suspect that Green will be gone soon, Benning will survive initially but if the team isn’t showing signs of turning things around before the trade deadline, I think JB will be gone too. Let’s wait and see bug change has got to come. I find it poor that JB seems to be in the witness protection program while the team is turning into a tyre fire. Time to answer some questions JB.

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

It's honestly dumbfounding how so many people keep making excuses for Benning after all these years and zero results.

Like people KEEP going back to that well despite zero tangible reasons as to why he would be right guy to forward with after all this time.

Bizarro world.

I know we have a history of Swedes on this team but this isn't Stockholm. Give your heads a shake,

Great post - and pin point accurate.   This teams love affair with soft, swedish/ finesse players has got to end.  Building a team around another spoon fed Swedish Bambi in EP40 is a mistake.   If he ever manages to get his stuff together again - they can keep him  BUT slot him in where he has earned a spot - but they should not put him on pedastal and let him get away with murder for $7,500.000.00 Million if he can't produce.  In that case he should be traded.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1