The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Ill agree with this

6 weeks ago we were cheering the deepest most skilled group we've had since 2012.

Now we're wanting to fire everyone.

I'll give Benning a pass here because much if the on ice issues are 100% green

We’re deepest up front offensively since 2012.  But not remotely defensively.  And I’m not just talking about the blue line (who ironically are also deeper in terms of offensive skill but are lacking defensively as a whole).  No legitimate checking center.  Few better than average defensive wingers.  That magnifies the issues on the blueline.  Just a poorly constructed team imho.  Though maybe an offensive coach that Crawford once was might make a difference (as at least this time, he’ll have a great starting goalie in net).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

25 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Aqua is part of the problem, he has defended green ad nauseum. He probably wanted to extend him.

Too bad we can't fire the owner and turn the Canucks into a share holder by the fans type of ownership.

Like the green bay packers 

Yeah. Nothing worse than an owner with the pockets and willingness to spend to the max to try to win.  Hahah
The Aqua’s are fine.  Their loyalty to the Canucks management is a pain in the ass, but they aren’t the problem right now.  
They trusted these people to run the team. Unfortunately it’s hot working with this staff.  
I just hope he does what needs to be done before it’s too late. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah. Nothing worse than an owner with the pockets and willingness to spend to the max to try to win.  Hahah
The Aqua’s are fine.  Their loyalty to the Canucks management is a pain in the ass, but they aren’t the problem right now.  
They trusted these people to run the team. Unfortunately it’s hot working with this staff.  

He shrunk the front office by eliminating the poho position. Which Benning has sorely needed since linden left. And he cheaped out on coaches. Especially assistants ? King and baumer? AHL alumni are coaching this team 

Aqualini is a terrible owner, it's more than deep pockets, he should back off and let the experts do their job. He is not a hockey guy, Aqua Is essentially our acting president and we are prob one of the worst run teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

No man, they aren't patient enough. No wait, they need to be more patient. Promote a coach from within. Hire one from outside. Something like that.

I don't buy into the Aqulini meddling theories.  I do think he needs better advice or someone with better hockey contacts helping with the next round of hiring tho.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Sanford said:

If this ownership group won't do anything, then I want to do something as a fan.  I want to make this thread so in the small chance that the owner or someone with any kind of power in the Canuck Ownership group can see that we have had it.

I am tired of this mediocracy, I am tired of wasting 8 years, I am tired of drinking the Benning Kool-Aid.  We are one of the worst run teams in the league.  We have one of the worse losing records in the past 8 years.  There is just no sense of urgency with this team and the culture of mediocracy is allowed to persist.  We can't even play 60 minutes every night.  

FIRE JIM BENNING

FIRE TRAVIS GREEN

Get a new management here and new coach that can bring this team back to that winning culture.  Enough is enough!

dream on

52 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

You are from HF and have always been on the fire Benning train. You were probably at the protest last year. 

Where's HF? What protest? I feel like you are trying to put me down from your basement with little background knowledge.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

No, Pettersson has an attitude problem, not an overrated overpaid problem IMO. He’s purposely sucking to get the coach fired and I truly believe that. I would put money on him returning to form soon after Green is gone.

I really dont believe that in the slightest. And if he really is that much of an entitled brat, we need to get rid of him ASAP. 

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So you believe Benning and Green don’t talk to each other?

Why in the heck wouldn’t Benning know what players Green want? 

No of course they talk, but since you guys are specifically talking about Gadjovich that would've been a Green decision to cut him from the roster.  

It's not Benning's job to pick the 23 man roster, that's the coaches' job. 

43 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We’re deepest up front offensively since 2012.  But not remotely defensively.  And I’m not just talking about the blue line (who ironically are also deeper in terms of offensive skill but are lacking defensively as a whole).  No legitimate checking center.  Few better than average defensive wingers.  That magnifies the issues on the blueline.  Just a poorly constructed team imho.  Though maybe an offensive coach that Crawford once was might make a difference (as at least this time, he’ll have a great starting goalie in net).

There's something to be said for player utilization though. Nate Schmidt leaving and going on to be one of the best defensemen in the league suggests our defensive group is better than it seems. Edler is even playing better than he did last year in spite of being 300 years old. 

Hughes & Myers are excellent offensive defensemen and can be amazing if paired with someone strong defensively. 
OEL is an incredible defenseman all around, he makes few if any mistakes defensively, is rarely out of position, makes great plays, shoots well, etc. 
Hamonic is a solid defensive defenseman. 
Poolman is a solid defensive defenseman. 

Burroughs and Schenn are both okay options as #6. 

Far from the worst group we've had on defense. Considering how many goals we give up off the rush - a byproduct of Green's system, I bet this group does a lot better under a new system. 

OEL and Hughes are both gamechangers. Crazy that we have 2. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

A new gm won’t make damaging moves to hurt the future to try to save his job. And it is  to show that fans that 8 seasons of incompetence and pathetic excuses  isn’t  acceptable. 
Asking the players to be accountable but the gm can continue to flounder. 

he’s had more than enough opportunity 

times up.

no more excuses. 

He has had enough opportunity and if Benning is let go I won't be surprised.  However for the sake of salvaging this season, he's got one more ace in the hole and that's a coaching change.  

I have zero fear that Benning will trade away our future to save his job.  That's something that keeps being repeated by people that want Benning gone when our team is doing bad or good.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He has had enough opportunity and if Benning is let go I won't be surprised.  However for the sake of salvaging this season, he's got one more ace in the hole and that's a coaching change.  

I have zero fear that Benning will trade away our future to save his job.  That's something that keeps being repeated by people that want Benning gone when our team is doing bad or good.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  

Yeah I agree with you. I also generally dont have a problem with Benning's trades, I think on balance theyve actually been really good. It was always the massive contracts given to UFAs that was the problem. 
Even then though, I really dont see much of that left on the roster, i like that he's dumped all the errors he made.. We're probably overpaying Myers by 2 mil or so.. but what else? Its not Bennings fault Petey isnt playing up to his contract, that's on Petey, and 7.3m is fair. 
Hughes is getting underpaid imo.. as is JT Miller, and Demko. Horvat and Boeser contracts are reasonable. 

Benning has basically redeemed himself imo. This year is on the coaches, not on the GM. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Benning has basically redeemed himself imo. This year is on the coaches, not on the GM. 

I have to wonder if people that say otherwise actually watch the games or just browse the highlights/boxscores.  

Our best performing players are the ones that have spent the least time under Green.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I have to wonder if people that say otherwise actually watch the games or just browse the highlights/boxscores.  

Our best performing players are the ones that have spent the least time under Green.  

THIS!!!! It cant be a coincidence now. Somehow he's pulled the absolute worst from all of our players. 

• Cheers 1