The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Here is some perscpective: 

Our Special teams are -14.  We have 9 PP goals, 23 PK goals against.  Aside for MTl and AZ, not other team is worse than -4. 

Our 5x5 is -2, which is pretty OK if you consider we have been chasing nearly every game. 

We are in a battle for the basement in the West.  Lets say our combined special teams we -4, which would be 4th worst in the entire league, we get 10 goals back, over half a goal a game.  I feel we would be right in the mix for a playoff spot.

I was at the game last night.  The performance from EP was the worst I have ever seen.  He looks like Bambi out there, he must have fallen 15 times.  Why the F will he and Boeser not shoot the damn puck.

I usually don't have many strong opinions here, but change is overdue.  Start with Green, they need a new voice badly.

THIS: "The performance from EP was the worst I have ever seen.  He looks like Bambi out there, he must have fallen 15 times."

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I wouldn't trust jim to make a trade after that one

He just punted our cap problems from 1 year to 5 years down the road 

There are always going to be cap problems in the modern cap era.

At least he’s tried to make up for his mistakes and brought in a couple guys who have been bright spots in this failure of a season so far 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

ummmm.... a big one of similar magnitude like Garland & OEL but only this time it will have to involve our core players like Boeser to make a real difference? 

and what would you expect to be the outcome from that move?

and any thoughts on specifics?

9 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Here is some perscpective: 

Our Special teams are -14.  We have 9 PP goals, 23 PK goals against.  Aside for MTl and AZ, not other team is worse than -4. 

Our 5x5 is -2, which is pretty OK if you consider we have been chasing nearly every game. 

We are in a battle for the basement in the West.  Lets say our combined special teams we -4, which would be 4th worst in the entire league, we get 10 goals back, over half a goal a game.  I feel we would be right in the mix for a playoff spot.

I was at the game last night.  The performance from EP was the worst I have ever seen.  He looks like Bambi out there, he must have fallen 15 times.  Why the F will he and Boeser not shoot the damn puck.

I usually don't have many strong opinions here, but change is overdue.  Start with Green, they need a new voice badly.

Well said.

It’s also one of the reasons why I wanted to be in attendance last night.  I wanted to see if I could pick up on some details that I might not be able to see on TV.  For me, it boils down to two things:

1) Our breakout 5 on 5.   In the first period, we were being outplayed by the Avs for the 1st half period because unlike us, they were making tape to tape passes and the *recipient* of those passes were in full motion skating forward.  By contrast, our guys receiving passes were often stationary or NOT moving forward, which allowed Avs players to be on our players right away.  To me, this reeks of a systems flaw.  Think about it.  

2) Our PP looks robotic and predictable while our PK looks scared and overly cautious.  Avs pointmen had all kinds of time to set up which is particularly disturbing since Demko’s weakness is in dealing with long range shots.  

So the conclusions that I personally came to was that,

1) We are pretty decent 5 on 5 provided that we come up with a new system that allows for a more aggressive breakout in terms of passing to players that are aggressively moving forward while receiving those tape to tape passes.

2) In theory, special teams should be a fixable problem with good coaching yet this hasn’t happened.

3) If there is passive aggressiveness amongst the players, it’s likely towards coaching as opposed to management since management did everything in their power to ice a playoff worthy line-up this season.

The Canucks can still turn this ship around, but I believe that a coaching change is what will be necessary.

• Vintage 3

11 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If Petey has a injury that will effect his career. 

Thy should have known. There is something wrong with the kid.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion he has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head.  He is lost out there and it has nothing to do with ability.

12 minutes ago, RWJC said:

There are always going to be cap problems in the modern cap era.

At least he’s tried to make up for his mistakes and brought in a couple guys who have been bright spots in this failure of a season so far 

OEL has 3 points this season, tied with Chiasson and Tucky Poo (after Tuck's 2 point outburst last night)

Garland just bumped a 10 game goal slump

are these guys really bright spots

or 

just bright by comparison to the darkness that Jim has created

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

No one knows what a shakeup will do... it's a roll of the dice... all I know is, we can't just stand pat anymore unless.. the plan is to tank?

its not tank at this point

its drive all of your talent to the airport time

what was your take on Petey's comments this Summer?

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Well said.

It’s also one of the reasons why I wanted to be in attendance last night.  I wanted to see if I could pick up on some details that I might not be able to see on TV.  For me, it boils down to two things:

1) Our breakout 5 on 5.   In the first period, we were being outplayed by the Avs for the 1st half period because unlike us, they were making tape to tape passes and the *recipient* of those passes were in full motion skating forward.  By contrast, our guys receiving passes were often stationary or NOT moving forward, which allowed Avs players to be on our players right away.  To me, this reeks of a systems flaw.  Think about it.  

2) Our PP looks robotic and predictable while our PK looks scared and overly cautious.  Avs pointmen had all kinds of time to set up which is particularly disturbing since Demko’s weakness is in dealing with long range shots.  

So the conclusions that I personally came to was that,

1) We are pretty decent 5 on 5 provided that we come up with a new system that allows for a more aggressive breakout in terms of passing to players that are aggressively moving forward while receiving those tape to tape passes.

2) In theory, special teams should be a fixable problem with good coaching yet this hasn’t happened.

3) If there is passive aggressiveness amongst the players, it’s likely towards coaching as opposed to management since management did everything in their power to ice a playoff worthy line-up this season.

The Canucks can still turn this ship around, but I believe that a coaching change is what will be necessary.

Literally exactly this. Our roster is NOT this bad. System is horrible.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I have never seen Linden quoted as to why he left. Was he asked to leave? Was he forced out by pressure from within the org and not necessarily ownership?  We do know that he and Stan Smyl were very close and Stan never left. As fans we will likely never know. It strikes me that Trevor Linden has a pretty balanced life and might not want to rejoin the grind and intensity of NHL hockey. He is 51 so not too old. IMHO Linden is still the greatest Canuck and still has massive cred. Not having a President has meant Benning doesn't have the person to bounce ideas off or to rein him in if needed. Who does JB talk to over long term direction? I was very excited when Linden-Benning-Green took over direction of the Canucks. All 3 had long NHL careers which I thought was much needed. 

I mentioned earlier about the length of shifts that most of the team are taking. That says to me that the unity within the group is not good. Taking extra 30 seconds on a shift tells me that the player doing it is telling his team mates back on the bench that he is better.  

The "official stance" was it was amicable and he decided he wanted to spend more time with his family.   That's it.   The only media stuff relating to it.   And they didn't want to or make any comments about it.    The media sure did though, as did a lot of CDCers and home grown bloggers.    Who the heck knows maybe that's at it really was.   But i for one, was glad he was no longer using his great name, to be a deflector shield.   A ton of fans were pissed we didn't get another shot at the cup.    Wonder how many of those were onboard with the Sedins getting about deal back then, and now are crying foul because we should have rebuilt instead!?!! A lot. Like most.   That was the ideal time to pull the plug.   Didn't happen did it?   And why would fans want that two years after going to the final and back to back pres trophies?

Edit:  Just to be honest i was one of those fans that thought we still had a chance...i was wrong. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion he has million dollar talent and a 10 cent head.  He is lost out there and it has nothing to do with ability.

I think we can all admit when Petey (and even before) broke into the league, he was dazzling with quick hands and an incredible shot.

What I couldn't understand was how he seemed so dominate yet his skating was so weak, even then.  Go back and look at old clips, he has always skated with spindly style (the bambi gif isn't far off).   However, he was always charged with energy and always drove to get on the back-check (frankly to a point of being scary as he would crash/slide and you would fear he would hurt himself).  This offset the poor skating.

But I think other teams have the book on him.  Ignore the puck, play the man.  Don't let him set up for a shot just go after his body, just play him physically.

Sadly, I'm not 100% sure Petey has the heart for it.  He seems to have lost that fearlessness that served him so well.  When was the last time you saw him anywhere near the opposing net.  When was the last time you saw him fly back into the play to break it up defensively.

Not sure if his injury hasn't had some psychological side effect.  I think he still knows the game but is playing with subconscious fear and this is why he passes away the puck (badly) and fumbles the puck when stickhandling (not wanting to get slashed again) or more worried about having his head on a swivel.  I hope he can find his way through it and start to enjoy himself again.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Thraxious said:

I think we can all admit when Petey (and even before) broke into the league, he was dazzling with quick hands and an incredible shot.

What I couldn't understand was how he seemed so dominate yet his skating was so weak, even then.  Go back and look at old clips, he has always skated with spindly style (the bambi gif isn't far off).   However, he was always charged with energy and always drove to get on the back-check (frankly to a point of being scary as he would crash/slide and you would fear he would hurt himself).  This offset the poor skating.

But I think other teams have the book on him.  Ignore the puck, play the man.  Don't let him set up for a shot just go after his body, just play him physically.

Sadly, I'm not 100% sure Petey has the heart for it.  He seems to have lost that fearlessness that served him so well.  When was the last time you saw him anywhere near the opposing net.  When was the last time you saw him fly back into the play to break it up defensively.

Not sure if his injury hasn't had some psychological side effect.  I think he still knows the game but is playing with subconscious fear and this is why he passes away the puck (badly) and fumbles the puck when stickhandling (not wanting to get slashed again) or more worried about having his head on a swivel.  I hope he can find his way through it and start to enjoy himself again.  

Good take. I agree, his skating has always been bad. First year, nobody knew who he was, so he had a lot of space to move. 

• Wat 3

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The "official stance" was it was amicable and he decided he wanted to spend more time with his family.   That's it.   The only media stuff relating to it.   And they didn't want to or make any comments about it.    The media sure did though, as did a lot of CDCers and home grown bloggers.    Who the heck knows maybe that's at it really was.   But i for one, was glad he was no longer using his great name, to be a deflector shield.   A ton of fans were pissed we didn't get another shot at the cup.    Wonder how many of those were onboard with the Sedins getting about deal back then, and now are crying foul because we should have rebuilt instead!?!! A lot. Like most. 

Yes and still do... fact is nobody knows for sure... they don't even know, which kind or rebuild Linden / Benning was advocating...

I was ok with a retool at the time... If LE hadn't died as soon as he put on a Canucks shirt, it may have been different. In hindsight, yep should have sold the family silver started from the bottom with as many draft picks as possible... (my opinion)...

• Upvote 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Good take. I agree, his skating has always been bad. First year, nobody knew who he was, so he had a lot of space to move. 

WTF?  The guy can skate a sub or around 14 second lap around the rink ... that's not "bad" that's actually exceptional.   The weakness's in his game doesn't include skating.   Good grief. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1