The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it was really interesting watching the game in person, you can see the individual effort is still there but too many of the guys are not in sync at all, and that static PK is just painful to watch. 

I did see some growing chemistry on Pod's line, but outside of that there's zero puck support. 

Anyway it appears like Jim is fully on board with his coaches so its just going to be another lost year unfortunately. 

Podz and Garland have good chemistry.  Based on what I’ve seen from the players, I would suggest playing musical chairs with out centers.

-Horvat replaces Petey on the Lotto line

-Petey replaces Dickinson in the Garland/Podz line.

-Dickinson replaces Horvat on the Pearson/Hoglander line

Miller-Horvat-Boeser

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Patel Bure said:

Podz and Garland have good chemistry.  Based on what I’ve seen from the players, I would suggest playing musical chairs with out centers.

-Horvat replaces Petey on the Lotto line

-Petey replaces Dickinson in the Garland/Podz line.

-Dickinson replaces Horvat on the Pearson/Hoglander line

Miller-Horvat-Boeser

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander 

yup they did. Podz is a big boy, he's figuring out how to use that size and once he figures that out for every shift he's going to be a beast.

Petey so desperately needs a different line, and also how to make a pass when he's getting double teamed. If he can get a pass to Garland e.g. while thats happening he and Podz will have a ton of space to work with. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Continue ramming those tough minutes to Horvat & making do with whoever they could slot in that other C spot.  What they've been doing for the past number of years.

Right?! Green is getting exposed BIG TIME this year with his lack of preparation.  I agree with what the other poster said.  Why the hell did he not try his complete roster during pre-season so that everyone could be on the same page and know their defined roles, especially when starting the season on a 6 game road trip where there is no time for practice.  Way to start the season behind the 8 ball.  Do the players even know what their roles are on the team today?  Sure as hell doesn't seem like it.

The more I think about it, the more asinine it is and glaringly evident that Green is over his head.  He didn't even call a timeout to settle the guys and have a game plan to try and tie the game in the last couple minutes.  And when the Av's gifted him a time out he did nothing with it!  Where's your passion for winning Green?  Seems like you do not give a crap about the boys, this team or winning.

I hate that I've flipped sides but the dark side feels better than holding onto false hope.  Sorry Greener, you seem like a genuinely good guy and I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but 17 games in with ZERO adjustments and only line juggling means your time is done.  Take Baumer and King with you and don't look back.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wonder what kind of desperation trade Benning makes now that he got that thoroughly unnecessary presser out of the way.  

thats my worry as well. The top 2/3 of the next draft is stacked with RHD and C's, we can't afford to move that for some Hail Mary. Its too late now anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

yup they did. Podz is a big boy, he's figuring out how to use that size and once he figures that out for every shift he's going to be a beast.

Petey so desperately needs a different line, and also how to make a pass when he's getting double teamed. If he can get a pass to Garland e.g. while thats happening he and Podz will have a ton of space to work with. 

I think that would definitely love a good start.  For me, bringing back Petey from the dead might be a little tough but I don’t think it will take that much to get Boeser going.  

Stylistically speaking, Boeser is a much better fit with Horvat and his play prior to Pettersson’s arrival proved this.  Even last year when Boeser was at his best, he was playing on a line with Miller and Hoglander.

During the 2019-2020 season, both Virtanen and Toffoli out performed Boeser on the Pettersson/Miller line.  

Keep Petey and Brock away from one another.  

Pearson-Horvat-Pettersson

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Garland

Is yet another combination that I would experiment with.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Jester13 said:

SmartSelect_20211117-205603_Reddit.jpg

I am sorry, but looks like players do not respect Green, and Green does not respect himself, since he allows players to listen him like that. I based that conclusion on my 20 years experience and a basketball player and a coach.

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I think that would definitely love a good start.  For me, bringing back Petey from the dead might be a little tough but I don’t think it will take that much to get Boeser going.  

there's an opportunity there that Green is missing imo. How many times last night did Col have two guys on Petey? I didn't count but its a lot of the time. That has to create space for the rest of the line if they can get more puck support going. 

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Stylistically speaking, Boeser is a much better fit with Horvat and his play prior to Pettersson’s arrival proved this.  Even last year when Boeser was at his best, he was playing on a line with Miller and Hoglander.

During the 2019-2020 season, both Virtanen and Toffoli out performed Boeser on the Pettersson/Miller line.  

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Yup I like that too. Pearson might know how to support Petey better than Miller. 

4 hours ago, Podzilla said:

Seriously? He’s one of the weakest skaters in the NHL. Wow he can do a quick lap around the rink? So can a lot of people who know how to skate… His balance, edge work, pivoting, backwards skating is terrible. Saying his skating isn’t a weakness because he can do a quick lap is one of the worst takes I’ve seen in a while, he’s literally Bambi out there. 

Lol.  Ok.  

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it was really interesting watching the game in person, you can see the individual effort is still there but too many of the guys are not in sync at all, and that static PK is just painful to watch. 

I did see some growing chemistry on Pod's line, but outside of that there's zero puck support. 

Anyway it appears like Jim is fully on board with his coaches so its just going to be another lost year unfortunately. 

I was at the home opener and it seems like nothing has changed since then.  Complete lack of urgency and competitiveness.  More and more the solution seems to be a new voice in the room.  We've literally seen teams win the cup after a coaching change during the season.  I'm all for letting things play out and having the players work through their slumps but we're beyond that at this point.  If JB can't see that then he's got to go too.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I was at the home opener and it seems like nothing has changed since then.  Complete lack of urgency and competitiveness. 

to me it looks more like a lack of cohesion or plan, vs. a lack of effort. I saw a lot of good individual efforts, e.g., Myers was pretty physical at times, Podz, Garland stood out as well. But zero puck support or structure, lots of one and done. 

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

More and more the solution seems to be a new voice in the room.  We've literally seen teams win the cup after a coaching change during the season.  I'm all for letting things play out and having the players work through their slumps but we're beyond that at this point.  If JB can't see that then he's got to go too.

Agreed, its over due for change. I'm honestly surprised at today's presser. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

to me it looks more like a lack of cohesion or plan, vs. a lack of effort. I saw a lot of good individual efforts, e.g., Myers was pretty physical at times, Podz, Garland stood out as well. But zero puck support or structure, lots of one and done. 

Agreed, its over due for change. I'm honestly surprised at today's presser. 

This is exactly what I see too. The players are trying to play the system and actually are for the most part. The problem is the systems are garbage and do not fit the strengths of this group of players.

This is a puck possession forward group and a quick transition D group that needs to be able to rely on its skating defensively.

So dump and chase offense and dump it out defense with no puck support on either is really not a good fit.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is exactly what I see too. The players are trying to play the system and actually are for the most part. The problem is the systems are garbage and do not fit the strengths of this group of players.

This is a puck possession forward group and a quick transition D group that needs to be able to rely on its skating defensively.

So dump and chase offense and dump it out defense with no puck support on either is really not a good fit.

I'm glad I went last night in person, mostly because I just like going when I can and enjoy the whole thing, but also because when you see it live its painfully clear you are 100% correct. 

The guys really are trying, which actually makes it harder to watch. Maybe it doesn't translate as well on tv but I don't like seeing the "lazy" comments because thats not happening, yet anyway. 

Quinn doing what he did last night is a signal of how much he wants change. He knew what he was doing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I was calling for a rebuild in the summer of 2012. The org was pretty much empty of talent other than what was being iced on the Canucks. It was the time to move vets out to restock. As close as the team came in '11 I thought they had to have a better physical game. Anyway, water under the bridge. Did Linden come for the Twin's night? Can't remember him being interviewed since he left?

The Aqualini's are real estate developers. The vocation is kinda ideal for Canuck ownership. Long term investment, lots of development costs (known and unknown) and a lot of leverage. Public is always pissed off with new developments so the Canuck fanbase is nothing new. They might misread a person's judgement or character but ultimately the numbers don't lie. I suspect JB and Travis's contract extensions were only 2 years for a reason. It also suggests to me that JB and Green were very confident of their season going in.   

Linden was there for the twin's night, but that's the only Canuck related thing I can recall him being attached to in like.. forever. I can't really recall anything from his stepping down til then, or since then.

4:20

Edited by Coconuts

33 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Pearson needs to never see top six mins again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Have we reached the point where the only way is up?

We'll find out Sunday when the Hawks visit for the battle of the bottom-feeders

They may be bottom feeders, but they're on a four game win streak and have been better since firing their coach.

Could easily see us losing the next two, we don't match up against Winnipeg very well. They've had our number for years.