The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

To be honest, I can't stomach $10m+ either.  $9m-ish is the max for me.  If he wants $10m+ then I'll be on board to trade him.

And that’s the rub.

Look at what all the top 10 scoring leaders are getting.  Then add in all the stuff Miller does.  You don’t think Miller’s agent will shoot for the moon?  How can he possibly accept less than what Marner, Matthews, and Tavares is making?

The only hope for getting $9M aav is if Miller really really wants to win with this team and only this team.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nope, not in anyway.  Terrible move for a team with a young core who 2 years from making the jump to regular playoff team and 4-5 years away from true contender status.

Again, moot point I believe, because I think the chances of him wanting to stay in Van are close to nil

So you are saying dump him for whatever then.

Miller is going to want the moola and the term - and that's if he even wants to re-sign in VAN. I've heard he would prefer to play in the US, but whatever

which is better?

A) $9 x 6 or more years

$10-11 x 5 years

C) trade him for the future

Edited by NUCKER67

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What I've been trying to show is that it is very rare for a 29 to 30 year old player to be top 10 in scoring.  That alone makes Miller an outlier, yet people try to group him with guys like LE or Cheechoo.

Player Name had 30 goals and 63 points the year before we signed him and a solid track record before that, even flirting with 1ppg a few years in DAL. If anything, he'd arguably been a more consistent producer than Miller over his career (albeit without the high peak Miller is enjoying this year).

The parallels there are not as far off as you'd imagine.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 3

We've gone through this before.  As usual.  Guys like Burroughs, Martin, etc make way less and can play the same roles.  You still save several million.

Man, can you imagine a Cup contender playing, a player like Burroughs in their top 4.

• Upvote 2

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So you are saying dump him for whatever then.

Not at this deadline, not at all.  Every single person advocating to be moved now has been for a king's ransom kind of deal.  

With every milestone they pass, the offers will get lower for Miller.......this tdl will be highest, the draft will be less and next deadline will be less than that

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

And that’s the rub.

Look at what all the top 10 scoring leaders are getting.  Then add in all the stuff Miller does.  You don’t think Miller’s agent will shoot for the moon?  How can he possibly accept less than what Marner, Matthews, and Tavares is making?

The only hope for getting $9M aav is if Miller really really wants to win with this team and only this team.

The difference is the 8 year max vs 7 year max as UFA.  It makes a big difference.

7 years at $10m = $70m

8 years at $9m = $72m

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Player Name had 30 goals and 63 points the year before we signed him and a solid track record before that, even flirting with 1ppg a few years in DAL. If anything, he'd arguably been a more consistent producer than Miller over his career (albeit without the high peak Miller is enjoying this year).

I'd say LE is actually a pretty good comparable to Miller

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

He was never top 10 in scoring.  Hence why i tried to find guys at 29 or 30 years of age that actually finished top 25 in scoring.  A rare breed of player does this.

• Vintage 1

He was never top 10 in scoring.  Hence why i tried to find guys at 29 or 30 years of age that actually finished top 25 in scoring.  A rare breed of player does this.

That and also he drives the play. Complete opposite of a perimeter player. 

• Cheers 1

The difference is the 8 year max vs 7 year max as UFA.  It makes a big difference.

7 years at $10m = $70m

8 years at $9m = $72m

So why would Miller want to make less for longer term?  I would think most people would want to make the more in a shorter time.  Cuz basically he’s making only $2M in that last year.  If he’s durable like some people say, he could squeeze out a few more years at $4M+.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

But until he signed the $6m deal with van, his career was better than JT's, overall

Just now, BPA said:

So why would Miller want to make less for longer term?  I would think most people would want to make the more in a shorter time.  Cuz basically he’s making only $2M in that last year.  If he’s durable like some people say, he could squeeze out a few more years at $4M+.

Cuz "logic"

38 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You completely and utterly missed the point.  Its not that you cant draft a great player or sign a great free agent.  Anything is possible.  That doesn't mean its probable.  You are missing the inherent risks of trading a player who is top 10 in scoring and the primary play driver for the team.  Trading him gives you no guarantee for replacement.  It isn't even more likely than not that you will NOT replace him.  The probability is well less than 50% that the cap space or the picks/prospects yield a comparable player.

download.jpg

When someone tries to fly their point over with worst case Ontario cherry picked doom and gloom it reeks of desperation. Makes you wonder if they actually believe their own narrative if they have to reach so hard.

Just now, BPA said:

Security.  He'd be gambling that at age 37 someone would still want to sign him.

Just now, shiznak said:

You trade away Poolman and let Myers and Hamonic walk.

So, who is there to play defense?

I didn't say Myers and Hamonic walk, but if they do, you just cleared $11.5m in cap between Myers, Hamonic,  and Poolman.

• Haha 1