The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

There is plenty of smoke to give an educated guess that the Canucks have worked out a deal with a team picking in the top 7.  Whether it’s NJD or some other team.  For the reasons I stated about Miller, that he’s shown no signs of slowing down and has no injury problems like most players do.  He’s essentially risk free.  Sure he won’t be cheap to sign but he brings so many intangibles to the table any team with the space would be lucky to lock him in for 8mill/ 6 year deal.  Unless you think power forward mentors grow on trees.  He’s the perfect player to take young players under his wing.  Like he did with Podkolzin this year and Pettersson for the last 3 seasons. 

Why don’t we sign Miller for that 8 mil x 6 year contract you suggest other teams would sign him for?

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I do think there is. We're still in a cap world that requires a bit of restraint by most teams. Miller may also view Vancouver as the best overall situation for him and his family. 

7.5 x 7 would be where I'd bow out. Is there someone out there willing to give him more than 52 mil total? really hard to say. Maybe NJ?

Does someone offer big but short? $10mx5?

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Does someone offer big but short? $10mx5?

Aren’t other guys n similar circumstances signing for 64 million though?  Zib and the guy in SJ.  

I doubt JR offers more than 50, so Miller will be traded.  And traded as a rental.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Aren’t other guys n similar circumstances signing for 64 million though?  Zib and the guy in SJ.  

I doubt JR offers more than 50, so Miller will be traded.  And traded as a rental.  

Yea but more years. Worthless boat anchors at the end.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea but more years. Worthless boat anchors at the end.

I agree, but if our best opportunity is to win while we have Demko and Hughes, maybe we should sign Miller to 8 years?  We go all in the first 4 (Demko years) and then dive to the bottom for a proper rebuild for Miller’s last 4 years.  Trade Hughes in the last year of his contract.  Pick top five for the last four years of Miller’s contract.  We won’t care about his cap then, because we will be bottom feeding and at the cap floor.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will 48 million get Miller signed though? 

Hope so, but if not there will be more than 1 team interested in him for that instant impact.  Even if it’s only for 1 year, some people would give up their first born if it meant they have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.  Heck The Canucks would give up their first born for a chance to win a Cup.  A lot of fans would 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd be over the moon with every player except Patrik or Ryan Murray (agreeing on Kakko and Byfield too young but 100% on either for Miller. I'd take a 80-90% chance of a surefire elite player any day of the week. The thing is it's almost impossible to build a team without a number of high end first round picks. This would be a rare opportunity to get one. I'd be all over that but perhaps I just have lowered expectations. :P I could understand when you questioned Heatl, Lundqvist, and a first, but wow second overall isn't good enough either? :shock: When this goes down you are going to to be extremely disappointed I fear.

I never said I'd be disappointed with NJ's 2nd oa.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd take the 2nd overall alone tbh, people underestimate the cost of such a pick at the draft of all times 

It could be a franchise altering pick going forward, you're likely to get a stud, it's why top 3 picks are almost never moved

But JT’s also a stud ;)

I get it. I’d do that deal as well, especially if it means we get Nemec who would be the RHD pairing of Nemec-Hughes for the next decade? 

YES PLEASE.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But JT’s also a stud ;)

I get it. I’d do that deal as well, especially if it means we get Nemec who would be the RHD pairing of Nemec-Hughes for the next decade? 

YES PLEASE.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure if we somehow get the 2nd OA we'd be taking a forward 

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, I'm pretty sure if we somehow get the 2nd OA we'd be taking a forward 

What do you mean? 

Like JT for New Jersey’s 2OA + Forward?