The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s why you stay away from free agency. That’s where teams make their biggest mistakes.

If there’s holes on the roster you fill them through drafting or trade.

Signing guys like Copp or Mikayev long term is simply repeating the mistakes that got this team where it is.

Cap space needs to be protected as your most valuable asset. Keep it open and accessible for when a real opportunity opens up that helps your team reach the next level.

I dunno, if we're trade out Garland for futures and sign Mikayev to replace him... I'd be ok with that :lol:

22 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You don't improve by adding multi million dollar 3rd pair guys yearly 

Go check stats before you chirp on zadarov takeaways shots against scoring chances against been near top every year he plays please do your research 

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I dunno, if we're trade out Garland for futures and sign Mikayev to replace him... I'd be ok with that :lol:

I dunno I think that would be a mistake.

Garland seriously gets undervalued here. He put up 52 points in 77 games despite a poor start.

A full season under Boudreau and he could easily be a 70 point player. Can we really afford to trade that kind of value contract? 

If they trade Miller and Garland that’s a lot of offense being taken off the roster that you’re not likely to replace any time soon. I doubt they trade both.

23 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Seriously though. If we're simply not going to get a "Schneider" (and LAK's version in Faber is already gone so the options are dwindling), who would CDC prefer? Lundkvist or Marino...

Almost wonder if I should start a pole :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno I think that would be a mistake.

Garland seriously gets undervalued here. He put up 52 points in 77 games despite a poor start.

A full season under Boudreau and he could easily be a 70 point player. Can we really afford to trade that kind of value contract? 

If they trade Miller and Garland that’s a lot of offense being taken off the roster that you’re not likely to replace any time soon. I doubt they trade both.

But again, I did just replace it. With Mikayev.

Nothing against Garland, I quite like him as a player and he's certainly productive. But I'm not sure he's a fit in this roster, particularly if we're keeping the cheaper Hoglander. We could get actual value for him in trade for a team that already has more size in their lineup and get a better fitting player here.

Roughly similar production, roughly similar cap... And we gain futures.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Seriously though. If we're simply not going to get a "Schneider" (and LAK's version in Faber is already gone so the options are dwindling), who would CDC prefer? Lundkvist or Marino...

If we can’t acquire the D man that we want then you don’t make the trade.

No need to be making trades out of desperation. If that perfect Hughes partner isn’t available now we wait until next offseason.

That decision is crucial and needs to be a long term solution and not just based on who happens to be available at the current moment.

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Kakko

Would this be enough offence? It is a young, skilled Top 6. I wonder if a deal could still be made with the Rangers, and whether Kakko fits into their plans. They could re-sign and trade.

Team needs a RD though. 

The Canucks don't seem interested in picks coming back, they want young players.

Kakko

K. Miller  (Hughes plays RD)

or

Kakko

Schneider

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

LA still has my favourite potential Q partner in Brandt Clarke. Just don’t think they would be that interested in JTM now as anything other than a rental. 
Oh and Marino, he is established as a top 4 in NHL, had good underlying numbers and Lundkvist is kind of just more of what we have. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Kakko

Would this be enough offence? It is a young, skilled Top 6. I wonder if a deal could still be made with the Rangers, and whether Kakko fits into their plans. They could re-sign and trade.

Team needs a RD though. 

The Canucks don't seem interested in picks coming back, they want young players.

Kakko

K. Miller  (Hughes plays RD)

or

Kakko

Schneider

Kakko and K’Andre all day but that would put us in cap Hell. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But again, I did just replace it. With Mikayev.

Nothing against Garland, I quite like him as a player and he's certainly productive. But I'm not sure he's a fit in this roster, particularly if we're keeping the cheaper Hoglander. We could get actual value for him in trade for a team that already has more size in their lineup and get a better fitting player here.

Roughly similar production, roughly similar cap... And we gain futures.

Not even close to similar production and you’re gonna be paying just as much. Garland has been a consistent 40-50 point producer the last three seasons while Mikayev just broke out last season.

You’re also hoping that he can score as much on a weaker offensive team. Hard pass for me.

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

LA still has my favourite potential Q partner in Brandt Clarke. Just don’t think they would be that interested in JTM now as anything other than a rental. 
Oh and Marino, he is established as a top 4 in NHL, had good underlying numbers and Lundkvist is kind of just more of what we have. 

I just can’t accept trading the best powerforward we’ve had since Bert for a Tanev lite. 

It doesn’t make sense. We can’t be making desperation moves to fix past managements failures.

Get a high pick or a prospect with huge upside or don’t bother.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just can’t accept trading the best powerforward we’ve had since Bert for a Tanev lite. 

It doesn’t make sense. We can’t be making desperation moves to fix past managements failures.

Get a high pick or a prospect with huge upside or don’t bother.

Brandt Clarke is exactly that. 
As far as Marino, a High upside like a mid 20s top 4 d-man with good underlying numbers because that is what Marino is. Presumably the package would be more than Marino.  We was answering the OPs question of Lundkvist vs Marino and I don’t consider Lundkvist that high end a prospect, decent yeah but no Clarke. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1