The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Kapanen can't help now or in the future. No sense in wasting a prime asset on this useless plug.

A player with 152 points in 321 games and 13 points in 38 playoff games is far from a useless plug. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, AC Readership said:

Trim the fat too by becoming more fiscally responsible is a must.

Yeah I agree. For the past 8 years we've been assembling a team of players with random skillsets like not scoring and hoping the coach can arrange them in a winning formula all while spending to the cap. Then surprise surprise when guys like Dickinson, Poolman, Chiasson, and Petan don't put us over the top we're capped out and unable to make the series of moves necessary to fix the roster.

That's why I'm hoping for some real change and roster shake-up with a solid long-term plan in place. I'm so tried of continually going for it and basically knowing before the season starts we're screwed. At least if we knew we were building up to something while not making the playoffs it would be worth it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR likes Krapanen though.  

This worries me.  He's already acquired him on two separate occasions - I hope it's not 3x.  I don't see Kap/Marino as our answer.   I definitely don't see what others do in Marino, especially not the Tanev comparisons.  I watched every minute of the Pens PO this year and while Marino was definitely serviceable,  he wasn't a standout in any respect - and I know that's not his game, but still, Miller should get us a WAY better pkg than that.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This worries me.  He's already acquired him on two separate occasions - I hope it's not 3x.  I don't see Kap/Marino as our answer.   I definitely don't see what others do in Marino, especially not the Tanev comparisons.  I watched every minute of the Pens PO this year and while Marino was definitely serviceable,  he wasn't a standout in any respect - and I know that's not his game, but still, Miller should get us a WAY better pkg than that.

Marino was playing with a crap partner that forced him to be “the guy” on the pairing.  With Hughes Marino gets to be the complimentary piece, which is perfect for how he plays best.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'd hope AZ would bite on something like that, who knows maybe Poolman gets healthy some day and they can move him too. 

Yeah that's the hope. Concussions are tricky but I thought he was skating and doing some stuff at the end of the year. Hopefully he is super dedicated to recovery and can make a return to the game (and life) sooner than later. He's actually not all that bad and played fairly well for us. Only problem was we already had six #5/6 guys already. A complete waste of cap space when we had Schenn already playing that role and Burroughs, and Hunt, and slow Hamonic, and zero mobility Chaos Giraffe. Owww, no more it hurts, it hurts. :sadno: :P

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I think Vegas would be looking for picks and prospects as they don't have the cap space to sign Roy to anything significant, so they couldn't take Garland back.

Roy is a prime offer sheet candidate. 

Oh sorry.  I meant Matt Roy RD for the Kings.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah that's the hope. Concussions are tricky but I thought he was skating and doing some stuff at the end of the year. Hopefully he is super dedicated to recovery and can make a return to the game (and life) sooner than later. He's actually not all that bad and played fairly well for us. Only problem was we already had six #5/6 guys already. A complete waste of cap space when we had Schenn already playing that role and Burroughs, and Hunt, and slow Hamonic, and zero mobility Chaos Giraffe. Owww, no more it hurts, it hurts. :sadno: :P

Craig Button said it right - Benning cornered the market on 3rd pair d. 

I do hope he finds a way to get healthy but I just hope its somewhere else. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Marino was playing with a crap partner that forced him to be “the guy” on the pairing.  With Hughes Marino gets to be the complimentary piece, which is perfect for how he plays best.  

You don’t trade miller for fringe top 4 d and 3rd liner that’s what boeser was for 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Kapanen can't help now or in the future. No sense in wasting a prime asset on this useless plug.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

JR likes Krapanen though.  

39 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This worries me.  He's already acquired him on two separate occasions - I hope it's not 3x. 

Don't listen to the crazy Alien, I'm sure JR likes Kapanen well enough as a side piece/buy low project/useful depth player, but he won't be a key piece in a Miller trade. Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist, 1st, POJ ec would be the potential pieces coming back. If we're getting Kapanen too, it's only if we're sending a guy like Diciknson back the other way IMO. Funnily, they'd probably make Dicky a useful 3rd liner, they have a knack for that :lol: That swap could work out for both teams actually.

39 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't see Kap/Marino as our answer.   I definitely don't see what others do in Marino, especially not the Tanev comparisons.  I watched every minute of the Pens PO this year and while Marino was definitely serviceable,  he wasn't a standout in any respect - and I know that's not his game, but still, Miller should get us a WAY better pkg than that.

How "standout" was Tanev at 24? Smooth, calm, steady, solid defensively...sure. But he wasn't ever getting people out of their seats. Still doesn't.

Him along with Poulin, Blomqvist and their 1st is a solid deal that helps us know and in a few years when we're contending. Would I prefer Schneider + etc...maybe. But they can certainly offer a compelling, if less "sexy" package.

Miller and Pearson for Carlo, Debrusk, and Lysell

Move Myers and Hoglander

Try to unload Ferland and Poolman 

Sign Malkin as a stop gap for a couple years

Sign Brendan Smith as a versatile winger/D sandpaper

Sign Zadorov for some extra grit 

Petterson-Horvat-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Malkin-Podkolzin

Debrusk-Dickenson-Garland

Brendan Smith-Lammikko-Lockwood

Highmore

Hughes-Carlo

OEL-Zadorov

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott-Burroughs 

a Marino/Kapanen/1st rounder for Miller trade does about the same thing.  Same with a deal that was Schneider and Lafreniere or Chytil.  

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can hear mll running down the hall screaming something about Guerin's promise to the people. :lol:

"They don't know anything.  They are full of crap."  was Guerin last month about unfounded rumours.  He then explained that he's straight forward and hates BS so why make things up.  He has already laid out his plans.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don't listen to the crazy Alien, I'm sure JR likes Kapanen well enough as a side piece/buy low project/useful depth player, but he won't be a key piece in a Miller trade. Marino, Poulin, Blomqvist, 1st, POJ ec would be the potential pieces coming back. If we're getting Kapanen too, it's only if we're sending a guy like Diciknson back the other way IMO. Funnily, they'd probably make Dicky a useful 3rd liner, they have a knack for that :lol: That swap could work out for both teams actually.

How "standout" was Tanev at 24? Smooth, calm, steady, solid defensively...sure. But he wasn't ever getting people out of their seats. Still doesn't.

Him along with Poulin, Blomqvist and their 1st is a solid deal that helps us know and in a few years when we're contending. Would I prefer Schneider + etc...maybe. But they can certainly offer a compelling, if less "sexy" package.

Willie Mitchell, Douglas Murray, and Robyn Regehr weren't flashy either and everyone knew what they brought to the table 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14. Vancouver: Brock Boeser is exhibit A why deadlines matter. You hear all sorts of talk — they’re not close, they’re not close, they’re not close — and it’s true, but then a deadline comes and people get serious. Teammate Iain MacIntyre had a great interview with Boeser on Saturday night, and it’s impossible not to root for him. I don’t think he’s getting traded; everyone here believes he’ll be rejuvenated come September. There’s a path to a Bo Horvat extension. Hard to predict a timeline, but that’s the goal. Whether it’s the Rangers or Washington or someone else, the Canucks will aim higher than Minnesota’s return for Fiala and should get it for J.T. Miller. It’s going to be too hard to get an extension done. The Canucks could surprise us. The Tyler Myers rumours have been there forever — they’ve got a price they want paid to consider it — but a few teams have suggested they might do something we haven’t thought of yet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-up-with-every-team-heading-into-the-nhl-draft/

Edited by AC Readership
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

14. Vancouver: Brock Boeser is exhibit A why deadlines matter. You hear all sorts of talk — they’re not close, they’re not close, they’re not close — and it’s true, but then a deadline comes and people get serious. Teammate Iain MacIntyre had a great interview with Boeser on Saturday night, and it’s impossible not to root for him. I don’t think he’s getting traded; everyone here believes he’ll be rejuvenated come September. There’s a path to a Bo Horvat extension. Hard to predict a timeline, but that’s the goal. Whether it’s the Rangers or Washington or someone else, the Canucks will aim higher than Minnesota’s return for Fiala and should get it for J.T. Miller. It’s going to be too hard to get an extension done. The Canucks could surprise us. The Tyler Myers rumours have been there forever — they’ve got a price they want paid to consider it — but a few teams have suggested they might do something we haven’t thought of yet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-up-with-every-team-heading-into-the-nhl-draft/

Season 4 No GIF

• Haha 1

After the Fiala trade there are some rumblings of Minny and Seattle keen on Miller. I don't think we should trade him inside the division or you know that'll bite us in the butt (similar to how playing Kesler and Bieksa was never fun in Anaheim) but Miller is much younger.

Minnesota don't really have what we need - a good young RD, unless you count Dumba (which I don't).

If that were the case, the trade would be something like Miller for Dumba + 1st, I doubt they add anything else but if they do, it's a B grade prospect.