The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I was surprised too, I thought at least something like a 3rd for Pearson, e.g. 

Time will fix Bennings roster mistakes, in two years they are all gone but I'm not expecting any returns for any of them and we can't afford to pay to move them. 

And then you just have to replace Pearson with another "Pearson" at the same general cost.  What's the point of that?

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am hoping Miller gets moved, before Oct.2nd, because it eliminates a lot of possible problems going forward. I agree that he likely has another great season but since he is not likely to resign here I want something back. I don't disagree with the idea that even if he is moved that the Canucks still make playoffs. Bottom line the new management has to be lazer focused on 3-4 years out. Get the CAP space and do further deals from strength. I don't want the team pay structure disrupted by a Miller contract that pays to much and gives to much term. It clouds the timeline. Miller does not fit that timeline. All this aside I wonder how quickly the CAP grows over the next 3-5 years?

Says who? Speculation.

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Time will fix Bennings roster mistakes, in two years they are all gone but I'm not expecting any returns for any of them and we can't afford to pay to move them. 

Guys like Pearson and Myers will have legit value as rentals in their final years.

Myers we could have likely easily moved this summer if we'd lined up a replacement.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Guys like Pearson and Myers will have legit value as rentals in their final years.

Myers we could have likely easily moved this summer if we'd lined up a replacement.

Pagnotta has been reporting that Vancouver was trying to move Myers because they wanted to sign Klingberg but couldn't find a taker.  Rutherford says that they are one of the worst teams in zone exits - Klingberg is ranked 3rd in zone exits and 6th in zone entries.  Boudreau early on said that at the top of his wish list is another puck mover.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Pagnotta has been reporting that Vancouver was trying to move Myers because they wanted to sign Klingberg but couldn't find a taker.  Rutherford says that they are one of the worst teams in zone exits - Klingberg is ranked 3rd in zone exits and 6th in zone entries.  Boudreau early on said that at the top of his wish list is another puck mover.  

*Bleep, bloop, bloop*

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Says who? Speculation.

Says stupid signings like the Huberdough ones where the player is grossly overpaid.  The Miller’s are building a new house in Pittsburgh.  It will take a lot extra to sign him here, and JR will not saddle us with a gross contract like Tresnivling just did to the Cowpies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Yup.  To move Myers (and other Benning toxic contracts) will cost sugar we don’t have.  Thanks Benning. :picard:

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

And then you just have to replace Pearson with another "Pearson" at the same general cost.  What's the point of that?

we already have that. Pearson is expendable with this current F group. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

I seriously cannot believe so many are just fine with losing Miller for nothing after years of whining about JB letting players walk.  

you can't paint every situation with the same brush. People want to retain last years best F, why is that such a shocking idea? if all we're getting back is meh returns then I'm fine with that risk. No one is saying it should be the general policy for all our players. Its a very unusual situation. 

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we already have that. Pearson is expendable with this current F group. 

Pearson has negative value.  Myers, Dickinson, Poolman and other Benning mistakes all would cost us to dumperoo.  And we don’t want to take back contracts.  (JR should get a friggin’ statue for the Hamonic full dumperoo) 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pearson has negative value.  Myers, Dickinson, Poolman and other Benning mistakes all would cost us to dumperoo.  And we don’t want to take back contracts.  (JR should get a friggin’ statue for the Hamonic full dumperoo) 

yup. Poolman might be the only piece that provides decent value if he can get his migraine situation figured out. The others are gone in two seasons at least and we get the cap back right when we have the chance to be really competitive. 

In the meantime it is what it is, Bruce is going to have to figure out how to get more out of them. 

Maybe we see Dickie on waivers at camp and someone like Ottawa takes him. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JM_ said:

We're just gonna have to be stingy with term and dollars, and careful about who gets more than a few years worth of term

I'd be looking at mostly short or medium term deals for the foreseeable future

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you can't paint every situation with the same brush. People want to retain last years best F, why is that such a shocking idea? if all we're getting back is meh returns then I'm fine with that risk. No one is saying it should be the general policy for all our players. Its a very unusual situation. 

Because he's the most valuable asset they've had since the sedins and I'd argue he's likely more valuable.  To let him walk would be one of the biggest blunders in franchise history........and that's saying something 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We're just gonna have to be stingy with term and dollars, and careful about who gets more than a few years worth of term

I'd be looking at mostly short or medium term deals for the foreseeable future

I'd love to see this management group buck this ridiculous trend of long term, high aav contracts that is happening in this league

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because he's the most valuable asset they've had since the sedins and I'd argue he's likely more valuable.  To let him walk would be one of the biggest blunders in franchise history........and that's saying something 

so more hyperbole then. So far the offers have been insufficient. Why would walking from a lame offer be "the biggest blunder in franchise history". Its only that in people's minds at this point. So far nothing has moved the needle on a trade offer, and there's no guarantee GMs are going to raise their offers either. 

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

But,  it's different now, cause new GM always better than old GM.

New GM's always know what they are doing, until at some point they become old GM, and loose their ability to be a good GM.

Same owner pulling strings. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Says stupid signings like the Huberdough ones where the player is grossly overpaid.  The Miller’s are building a new house in Pittsburgh.  It will take a lot extra to sign him here, and JR will not saddle us with a gross contract like Tresnivling just did to the Cowpies. 

That has Gaborik bought a house in Vancouver vibes all over it. Huberdeau isn't overpaid, just like Miller at 9 ish wouldn't be either.

Over a PPG powerforward who is elite in the dot, hits, blocks shots, plays PK, PP, is an incredible leader and has a clear impact on our young core. 

We are just a franchise suffering from Loui Eriksson PTSD and I can't blame anyone for it to be honest. I'm on the Miller train though

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The president of the organization. Nevermind plain logic.

Didn't he just say that they were far off in negotiations for an extension? I haven't seen a single piece of actual news saying he doesn't want to re-sign with us, and I follow this drama every day hoping for it to settle (and hopefully end with a 7 year extension at a reasonable cap hit for both parties)