The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You've also got the top end guy in Panarin making 11.6M. Now, Miller isn't going to make 10M+, but considering Duchene and Panarin are the last two top caliber forwards to actually walk to UFA you've got to include him.

Outside of his absurd 95 point in 69 game season Panarin's always floated slightly above or below PPG at the NHL level. Miller's agent won't be arguing for 10M+ I'd imagine, but he can easily go and say "hey, if Panarin's making 11.6M there's no way my client should accept below 9M" or something along those lines. 

Duchene is absolutely an inferior player.

Agreed, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see them ante up and try to go for it. Most of their top ends guys are all 30 or just pushing it.

Panarin will be 31 in October.

Kreider will be 31 in April.

Zibanejad will be 29 in April. 

Strome will be 29 in July. 

Trouba turned 28 today funnily enough.

Shesterkin will be 27 in December.

Fox just turned 25, Georgiev just turned 26. 

They've got plenty of young high end prospects, but unless those guys accelerate their development they'll be rising as the big guns are taking steps back. The Rangers are team built to compete now, these next couple years could very well be the best chances they get in a while to go deep. 

Are they willing to pay a premium to try and contend? We'll find out, but they're certainly a team that could if they add the right pieces. 

If the Rags have any brains they will pay through the roof for Miller.  They are going to need to rebuild in two years.  Their young guys are mostly craperolla.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You've also got the top end guy in Panarin making 11.6M. Now, Miller isn't going to make 10M+, but considering Duchene and Panarin are the last two top caliber forwards to actually walk to UFA you've got to include him.

Outside of his absurd 95 point in 69 game season Panarin's always floated slightly above or below PPG at the NHL level. Miller's agent won't be arguing for 10M+ I'd imagine, but he can easily go and say "hey, if Panarin's making 11.6M there's no way my client should accept below 9M" or something along those lines. 

Duchene is absolutely an inferior player.

Agreed, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see them ante up and try to go for it. Most of their top ends guys are all 30 or just pushing it.

Panarin will be 31 in October.

Kreider will be 31 in April.

Zibanejad will be 29 in April. 

Strome will be 29 in July. 

Trouba turned 28 today funnily enough.

Shesterkin will be 27 in December.

Fox just turned 25, Georgiev just turned 26. 

They've got plenty of young high end prospects, but unless those guys accelerate their development they'll be rising as the big guns are taking steps back. The Rangers are team built to compete now, these next couple years could very well be the best chances they get in a while to go deep. 

Are they willing to pay a premium to try and contend? We'll find out, but they're certainly a team that could if they add the right pieces. 

They have no choice but to go all out. They can not keep this roster intact at this price and will likely lose Strome as a cap casualty too. 

great youngsters but the age gap between the core pieces and them is going to catch up with them, imho.

one way or another, they will secure a top talent for their playoff run this year.

the problem is just how much of their future do they give up to do so, and when their current core ages out, how much of a setback will it prove to be to make up for the talent they lost in gunning for a cup.

that’s the nature of the beast now though. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the Rags have any brains they will pay through the roof for Miller.  They are going to need to rebuild in two years.  Their young guys are mostly craperolla.

I don't think they'll have to rebuild any time soon, but they could def be taking steps back sooner than later if their top guys don't age gracefully. 

There's also the cap they'll have to juggle as their prospects age, and inevitably demand their own contracts if they have success. 

You pay a price to win, but there's also a price to be paid for treading water, especially under a salary cap. If you go for it and win guys wanna get paid, if you go for it and miss you're still going to have to pay guys. If you don't go for it and hedge your bets, you're still paying guys one way or another.

Just now, RWJC said:

They have no choice but to go all out. They can not keep this roster intact at this price and will likely lose Strome as a cap casualty too. 

great youngsters but the age gap between the core pieces and them is going to catch up with them, imho.

one way or another, they will secure a top talent for their playoff run this year.

the problem is just how much of their future do they give up to do so, and when their current core ages out, how much of a setback will it prove to be to make up for the talent they lost in gunning for a cup.

that’s the nature of the beast now though. 

I figure they will. Will it be Miller? Anyone's guess, that's not just up to them. Will they try to? Wouldn't surprise me. If they can't grab him they'll likely try going after someone though, these next couple years probably offer their best window I'd imagine. 

I could see Strome walking to UFA tbh, I'm not sure the Rangers will want to pay him what he'll ask, nor am I sure they should. 

Yup, there's always a price to be paid. You pay for success, but failure and mediocrity will also cost you. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  Bustaroo Laugher or Crappo didn't score?  The Rags are stupidos if they don't go all in right now and pay whatever our Chipmunk is demanding for Milelr.  Their goalie is playing fabulous, and they have an aging core (except Fox).  It's all or nothing right now for them. Miller would give them two kicks at the can too.  

Miller to the Rags

for

Chytil

Schneider

2022 first 

NYR

Miller

VAN

Lafrenière

Schneider

1st ‘22

1st ‘23

Youre taking the heart and soul of this team that guy out of it and there is no urgency to ever do that to a team.

Miller gone puts this franchise 2-3 years behind.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You know who’s not craperolla…

image.gif.6740cdc6134c2dd56af0031c49a978f7.gif

YOU know it Alfred. 
Markstrom gives you his blessing to move on and love again.

13 minutes ago, Me_ said:

NYR

Miller

VAN

Lafrenière

Schneider

1st ‘22

1st ‘23

Youre taking the heart and soul of this team that guy out of it and there is no urgency to ever do that to a team.

Miller gone puts this franchise 2-3 years behind.

I dunno if we'd get Laffy and Schneider, I think that's a pipe dream, but Schneider and two 1st round picks and a high end prospect on a slightly lower tier might work. I get the feeling New York would care more about having to move both those players than multiple first rounders, they'd have to wait on whoever they drafted to develop anyway. 

Maybe something like.. 

Schneider

1st 22

1st 23

One of Kravtsov/Othmann/Cuylle

Or..

Schneider

1st 22

Chytil

Or.. 

Schneider

1st 22

Two of Kravtsov/Othmann/Cuylle

If they move Schneider I don't see us getting Lundqvist too, but maybe one of the aforementioned instead of Laffy? Not that Kravstov isn't a great prospect, but his having asked for a trade drops him a tier as far as value goes imo. 

And I don't really put together proposals so this is honestly just me spitballing, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to other team's prospects. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Like I've said a million times to a million people on here, he doesn't need to say he loves Vancouver, nor does he need to say his family loves Vancouver.  If he didn't wanna be here, he could simply his teammates are great and he enjoys playing for the Canucks and leave it at that.  Heck, he could even say he loves it here, but could leave his family out of it completely.   

The fact he deliberately and exclusively mentioned how his family loves it here is likely because that's the truth!

Good grief Charlie Brown you don't seem to know much about this stuff at all. Generally if players really want to stay somewhere they come out and say stuff like, "I want to be a lifetime Canuck", or "We're going to talk about a long term deal, I'm confident we can get something done". Miller has said none of this. What he's said is carbon cookie cutter responses that mean next to nothing. He may like it here sure but stop trying to pump this false narrative of yours. If anything, he has NOT committed to Vancouver.

What does remain are many sensible reasons to leave.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Good for you when every defenceman around him was signing for $9m+.  Those were HIS comparables yet you thought he was gonna sign for less then $7.85m? Impressive. Bravo.

You can pretend all you want but I can't see how you can't imagine that's what his ask will be, and what a team might pay him. He'll be the best scoring Center/forward available.

You really do like to stick your head in the sand. Nothing wrong for hoping, I think Miller is a great guy and might just sign a reasonable deal here, but you can be realistic too. Chances are he doesn't have to and won't.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno if we'd get Laffy and Schneider, I think that's a pipe dream, but Schneider and two 1st round picks and a high end prospect on a slightly lower tier might work. I get the feeling New York would care more about having to move both those players than multiple first rounders, they'd have to wait on whoever they drafted to develop anyway. 

Maybe something like.. 

Schneider

1st 22

1st 23

Or..

Schneider

1st 22

Chytil

Or.. 

Schneider

1st 22

If they move Schneider I don't see us getting Lundqvist too, but maybe one of the aforementioned instead of Laffy? Not that Kravstov isn't a great prospect, but his having asked for a trade drops him a tier as far as value goes imo. 

And I don't really put together proposals so this is honestly just me spitballing, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to other team's prospects. 

1st proposed deal is excellent - Schneider, 2x 1sts, Kravtsov. 

We've got a ton of options to replace Miller's scoring, ideally through UFA so we can use those 2 1sts to make some big upgrades on defense:

I dont think people realize just how rich this year's UFA pool is for quality forwards too. We can completely turn the team around by next year if we're willing to part with either Miller or Boeser at the deadline. 

Those assets we get in return can completely revamp our blue line too. 2 x 1st round picks can unload all of our bad salary, and bring in something good (even better yet if we unload Myers, we can take a run at Klingberg in UFA)

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe something like.. 

Schneider

1st 22

1st 23

Or..

Schneider

1st 22

Chytil

Or.. 

Schneider

1st 22

people shouldn't sleep on Lundqvist.........he's not schneider, but he's not as far off as people think he is.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

people shouldn't sleep on Lundqvist.........he's not schneider, but he's not as far off as people think he is.

Lundqvist is great but we're already set for years on what he brings to the table (Hughes and Rathbone). 

Schneider is the one we really need imo. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Lundqvist is great but we're already set for years on what he brings to the table (Hughes and Rathbone). 

We will defintely trade Miller before this TDL.  If the Rags don't buck up Schneider than we will find a different team.  I'd say the Avs are a dark horse.  Newhook and Byrom.

• Cheers 1

OK, this is going to sound crazy but hear me out, simply hypothetical...

what if we agreed to trade JTM to Calgary for their cup run and next season.

i just puked up in my own mouth.

hypothetically, what does Calgary have (if anything?) that would enable a trade with us.

do they have prospect depth? probably not enough and it would take a significant current roster piece away in return?

I just think objectively and sometimes there are real surprises.

Trelving loves himself some Vancouver style flavour. With Toffoli look at who 3 of their core character guys are now?

It's crazy when you think about it and just where the Nux might be at this moment if we were able to retain the 3 of Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli.

Hindsight, but still, imagine that with Bruce~there~it~is.

That is Stanley Cup level, imho.

Anyway, is there any proposal that would be sufficient for JTM?

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

hypothetically, what does Calgary have (if anything?) that would enable a trade with us.

do they have prospect depth? probably not enough and it would take a significant current roster piece away in return?

Trelving loves himself some Vancouver style flavour. With Toffoli look at who 3 of their core character guys are now?

It's crazy when you think about it and just where the Nux might be at this moment if we were able to retain the 3 of Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli.

The stinky cowpie city has no prospects.  

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

We've got a ton of options to replace Miller's scoring, ideally through UFA so we can use those 2 1sts to make some big upgrades on defense:

I dont think people realize just how rich this year's UFA pool is for quality forwards too. We can completely turn the team around by next year if we're willing to part with either Miller or Boeser at the deadline. 

Those assets we get in return can completely revamp our blue line too. 2 x 1st round picks can unload all of our bad salary, and bring in something good (even better yet if we unload Myers, we can take a run at Klingberg in UFA)

If NY is high on their already drafted guys and happy with where they are develmentally it could happen? If you're NYR you're probably thinking they won't be high 1st's anyway

You could use them as currency to build the team, use them, or do a bit of both

Having two 1st's in back to back years could be huge 

and you'd get Schneider and Kravtsov who could probably step right into the lineup

The only caveat is whether Kravtsov can come over with everything going on, but maybe that drops his value in the near future enough for him to include him

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

Oh for sure, I just don't see him as what we need more of on D

Getting another guy who can move the puck and play on a different pairing wouldn't be a bad thing, I just think Schneider could potentially be a Hughes pairing guy

Edited by Coconuts

48 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

You had me unitl this ^^^^^

4e54053f054dadd7940ac9618419a2ff.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

That is Stanley Cup level, imho.

I agree.

That is Stanley Cup level blasphemy right there now don’t you ever think that kind of thinkin’ is fine around here ya hear the gewd lorhhd is gonna punish you for that. 

I assign you to nine chapelets per hour for the next 24 hours now pray.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

No argument that Schneider is the preferred option. But you can't always get what you want, right Mick?

I honestly don't know where Rathbone fits behind Hughes and OEL the next half decade unless he switches sides. He's simply not going to get the offensive usage/minutes behind them that he needs to be successful. If we get Lundkvist, who plays that side naturally, that makes Rathbone expendable in trade to fill other holes...

There's also no rule that says we have to keep Lundkvist either. Hell, perhaps we package him with Rathbone for a a first pair RD lol.

Just now, aGENT said:

No argument that Schneider is the preferred option. But you can't always get what you want, right Mick?

I honestly don't know where Rathbone fits behind Hughes and OEL the next half decade unless he switches sides. He's simply not going to get the offensive usage/minutes behind them that he needs to be successful. If we get Lundkvist, who plays that side naturally, that makes Rathbone expendable in trade to fill other holes...

There's also no rule that says we have to keep Lundkvist either. Hell, perhaps we package him with Rathbone for a a first pair RD lol.

I actually agree with you about Rathbone tbh. I think we'd be wise to swap him for a top tier forward prospect, or what you suggested there about Lundkvist+rathbone for a first pair RD. 

We really need another defenseman who can play like Hamonic - physical, stay at home, defense first, blocking shots. 

I'd love to see us use one of those picks from the Rags to move Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman. 

People also seem to think Myers has trade value b/c of his recent play, but if we could even shed his 6m and put a stay at home defenseman in the 3m range like Hamonic on that pair with OEL, we'd definitely come out ahead. 

Trading Miller to NYR and using a 1st to unload Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman onto Arizona would give us like 17m in cap space (15m if u count the raise we have to give Boeser). 

We can do a lot with 15m. Sign Forsberg perhaps, and that still leaves 7m to get a stay at home defenseman and a couple of excellent penalty killers. 

Plus we'd still have an extra 1st in 2022. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I actually agree with you about Rathbone tbh. I think we'd be wise to swap him for a top tier forward prospect, or what you suggested there about Lundkvist+rathbone for a first pair RD. 

We really need another defenseman who can play like Hamonic - physical, stay at home, defense first, blocking shots. 

I'd love to see us use one of those picks from the Rags to move Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman. 

People also seem to think Myers has trade value b/c of his recent play, but if we could even shed his 6m and put a stay at home defenseman in the 3m range like Hamonic on that pair with OEL, we'd definitely come out ahead. 

Trading Miller to NYR and using a 1st to unload Pearson, Dickinson, and Poolman onto Arizona would give us like 17m in cap space (15m if u count the raise we have to give Boeser). 

We can do a lot with 15m. Sign Forsberg perhaps, and that still leaves 7m to get a stay at home defenseman and a couple of excellent penalty killers. 

Plus we'd still have an extra 1st in 2022. 

It's definitely a valid solution.