The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, grandmaster said:

I’ll say ok if Florida gives us Ekblad and 2 firsts….

I wish, I'd add to Miller for Ekblad alone tbh 

Him and Hughes, what a thought 

Whether we move Miller or not, I really hope we can capitalize on the prices teams are paying and sell a bit 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, awalk said:

I think that's best.

We shouldn't budge much, if at all. That being said, gotta weigh what we'd get now vs later, it's a tough call. I'm more prepared to haggle on a Motte than a Miller because Motte's a pending UFA whereas we need a home run return in any Miller trade. Whether that's at the deadline or leading up to the draft. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think that's best.

We shouldn't budge much, if at all. That being said, gotta weigh what we'd get now vs later, it's a tough call. I'm more prepared to haggle on a Motte than a Miller because Motte's a pending UFA whereas we need a home run return in any Miller trade. Whether that's at the deadline or leading up to the draft. 

Yeah there's really no rush to make a move for anyone not named Motte, unless the offer is absolutely amazing, better to hold firm..

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, nopROBlemo said:

I'm with you. I do think it's time to sell. I don't have a lot of faith in us making the playoffs. If we do I really don't think we will make it far. 

Welcome to the logical.. sorry, I guess some would say, "dark" side!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

We're darned if we do and darned if we don't. 

Sign him and he could have 2 or 3 productive years (maybe even 4 or so)where he earns his contract but no matter what people here say (and we all know who they are and what their arguments are) he will inevitably decline and not be able to live up to his contract which will definitely include ntc/nmc.  Then what?  By then we hope to contend and can't and shouldn't have an anchor contract on the books.

Trade him and people will be livid when he performs well for another club while we don't see the returned assets contributing for a few seasons perhaps?  Not to mention trading him now, at likely his career peak, would be taking a step back (on the ice) in order for the whole franchise to take arguably a huge step forward.   

One thing I don't want to have happen is the all too common cautionary tale known as the 'bad contract' and or the 'potential buyout' contract.   We all snicker at the likes of other teams signing guys like Subban, Benn, Karlsson,  Seguin, Skinner etc....and we all claim to know those contracts will never work out but some people think JT will sign here for below market value and not end up as another cautionary tale?

Hard decisions coming either way.

thats a fair way to look at it. +'s and -'s either way. 

If we're losing Miller tho, I'd sure like to see Pearson, Dickie, Poolman, Halak all cleared out as well so at least we have the cap room to make some solid additions. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm not so sure. We finally seemed to have recovered from losing the leadership of Marky and Tanev, not sure this group left is resilient enough and might need a few years to figure out an identity again. 

I doubt anyone is going to show up between now and the TDL with that 3-4 piece deal for Miller anyway, so this is likely pushed into the summer.

I repeat, a guy who only leads when things are going well is not really a leader. This group will be fine. 

It’s getting clearer by the day that JT is gonna chase the money. I don’t see how we retain him with contracts like OEL’s and Myers’ on the books. 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This is what Hagel got, Hagel. Miller could absolutely get us more in the way of prospects/players on the cusp/NHL ready players/picks. 

thats just seems like an insane deal for a kid with one 20 goal season. 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

I repeat, a guy who only leads when things are going well is not really a leader. This group will be fine. 

So other teams don't lose games?

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

It’s getting clearer by the day that JT is gonna chase the money. I don’t see how we retain him with contracts like OEL’s and Myers’ on the books. 

at least one of those two deals has to move regardless. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

So other teams don't lose games?

Miller literally putting up temper tantrums during our long losing streak with Green was lamentable and cringe to see. That’s not a leader. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

at least one of those two deals has to move regardless. 

Well then it’s gotta be Myers because absolutely no one is gonna want to touch that OEL contract with a 10-foot pole. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Miller literally putting up temper tantrums during our long losing streak with Green was lamentable and cringe to see. That’s not a leader. 

Well then it’s gotta be Myers because absolutely no one is gonna want to touch that OEL contract with a 10-foot pole. 

we'll just have to agree to disagree on the value of Miller's leadership style.

OEL has played very well, his PP numbers aren't there this year but he's been a good player. I do wonder if we can move Myers tho, you'd think Burkie would be all over that big hunk of truculence. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

we'll just have to agree to disagree on the value of Miller's leadership style.

OEL has played very well, his PP numbers aren't there this year but he's been a good player. I do wonder if we can move Myers tho, you'd think Burkie would be all over that big hunk of truculence. 

I wonder if a younger guy like Woo might be a good partner for OEL?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I wonder if a younger guy like Woo might be a good partner for OEL?  

could be, don't know if Woo will ever make the jump tho. If we end up with someone like Liljegren or Lundkvist that would be where I'd put those kids. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

could be, don't know if Woo will ever make the jump tho. If we end up with someone like Liljegren or Lundkvist that would be where I'd put those kids. 

Those two are kind of small, smurfs.  Woo is a heavy body, who plays with bite.  Plus, he's a very smart player.  He will be on our club next year.  Got to dumperoo Myers though. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Those two are kind of small, smurfs.  Woo is a heavy body, who plays with bite.  Plus, he's a very smart player.  He will be on our club next year.  Got to dumperoo Myers though. 

I hope you're right about Woo. 

19 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I think it's justifiable considering how grossly unprofessional Green's conduct was.  No one in their right mind is going to put up with his garbage without some form of pushback.  The issue has been resolved now that we have an actual coach.

3 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Why keep miller for top money will he stop slamming his stick and sulking every other game? Even his agent is mouthing off …is this what your top guy acts like…is this a great opportunity to sell milsey while he’s doin something he probably won’t repeat …sell high? Who’s with me…?

Angry with losing or not happy with his own performance does not fall into the category of sulking. BB seems to be supportive of JT as a leader. 

Where would we be without Miller this year? 

I don't get anyone being critical of him. 

• Cheers 1