The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I always assume that any trade with Brock, means that he has signed a reasonable contract.

I wasn't including both Crouse and Hayton in the trade.  I didn't really think they would deal

Hayton at 22yrs (but you never know...they make some pretty stupid trades).

The Coyotes have traded off quite a few young players, who have gone to other teams and

played really well.  They tend to have little patience in developing young players.  It could be

Crouse (24) is running out of time.

They have a great affection for 1st round pick as well.

So the trade would be:  (a signed) Brock + 1st   for  Crouse  + Soderstrom

(and Nucks will throw in Hogs if necessary).

Crouse was initially on the trade block with lots of teams interested but their preference is now to keep him per Friedman. If they do trade him probably for picks / prospects.  

Don't see them interested in Boeser given age and contract.  Also what incentive does he have to sign a reasonable deal to go and play in a mini arena and on a team that is deliberately tanking. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope you’re right, and we move Miller this summer.  What’s the return going to look like?

Younger NHL ready D?

Younger NHL ready C?

Draft picks?

Would Lundqist + Chytil + 2nd + 3rd be reasonable? 

I'd do Schneider + Chytil + 1st (given it's a late one).

The Rangers have plenty of young RDs playing more minutes than Schneider and Chytil is very replaceable. Gaining a top 10 scorer puts them right up as a contender.

We get a top RHD, 3C, pick and cap relief.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Crouse was initially on the trade block with lots of teams interested but their preference is now to keep him per Friedman. If they do trade him probably for picks / prospects.  

Don't see them interested in Boeser given age and contract.  Also what incentive does he have to sign a reasonable deal to go and play in a mini arena and on a team that is deliberately tanking. 

Doesn't surprise Crouse was on the trade block. He's well past the age that AZ gives up on

their young players. 

If the Canucks have to take Brock to arbitration (and win, which they probably would) he would

likely be very happy to leave our team.  Arbitration if often very messy.  I wouldn't want to

see that. 

You are probably right about AZ thinking he'd be too old for their team.  They just

want to collect picks and trade their young players (that are taking too long to develop) for

more picks.

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd do Schneider + Chytil + 1st (given it's a late one).

The Rangers have plenty of young RDs playing more minutes than Schneider and Chytil is very replaceable. Gaining a top 10 scorer puts them right up as a contender.

We get a top RHD, 3C, pick and cap relief.

To the Rags Miller is a one year (one playoff) rental.  I would love that trade, but it’s a lot for them to give up for a rental. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m not too sure about Lunqust, but Chytil is a player.  He could be our young third line centre.

Petey

Bo

Chytil

Maybe we could move Lundquist to get a young (bigger) more defensively minded D at that point?  Or instead of even including Lundquist get the Ranger’s 1st?

Miller for Chytil + 1st + 3rd?

Chytil isn't a 3C, he has been sheltered with 58% oZ starts this season, has a career FO% of 40%, hovering around 20pts a season for his career so far. He isn't the kind of guy you put at 3C to shut down other teams and/or take some defensive pressure off your top 6 guys.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Chytil isn't a 3C, he has been sheltered with 58% oZ starts this season, has a career FO% of 40%, hovering around 20pts a season for his career so far. He isn't the kind of guy you put at 3C to shut down other teams and/or take some defensive pressure off your top 6 guys.

Does our 3C need to play a shutdown role though?  Petey is fabulous defensively.  Bo is okay.  Miller isn’t bad.  Maybe Chytil could play a more offensive minded 3C role and develop in that manner?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Does our 3C need to play a shutdown role though?  Petey is fabulous defensively.  Bo is okay.  Miller isn’t bad.  Maybe Chytil could play a more offensive minded 3C role and develop in that manner?  

Agreed, we could deploy Bo and Lammikko as shutdown lines.

I'd ideally sign Paul or Tierney though as a true shutdown 3C.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

14 assists in 64 games while being gifted 58% oZ starts doesn't really scream offensive center to me. Feel like this is square peg, round hole stuff like when JB tried to make Dickinson an elite 3C...

7 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

14 assists in 64 games while being gifted 58% oZ starts doesn't really scream offensive center to me. Feel like this is square peg, round hole stuff like when JB tried to make Dickinson an elite 3C...

Chytil is 22.  He’s 6’3 and 210 pounds.  He’s got elite puck skills.  Not at all comparable to Dicky.

Petey

Bo

Chytil

Lammiko

On 4/22/2022 at 10:40 PM, Curmudgeon said:

So, trade a top ten NHL scorer and team leader for an unknown 17- or 18-year old who is two, three or four years away, if ever?

Think of it this way, if they don't overpay for Miller, how do we know they won't overpay for somebody else? And who out there checks as many boxes as Miller? Serious question: have you looked at 23/24 free agent forwards? And which one do you think would provide more than Miller does, and for how much money and term? Short answer: not many, and nobody who will cost much less than you'd have to pay Miller.

Also, consider this: Only five Canucks have ever scored more than Miller's 93 points this season: Bure, Mogilny, Naslund, Daniel and Henrik. I don't know how you offload an obvious star like Miller for picks and/or prospects. I don't know how you replace what Miller brings unless you are willing to spend big, and if you have to spend big, why not Miller?

We should consider ourselves lucky if we sign him to something that works for him and the Club.

Could you imagine the points / stats he would have this season had we started the season with Boudreau?

I think the best is yet to come with Miller, but his identity as a leader by example in all elements of his play is worth a 1/3 or more of the contract he will sign.

A full season with Bruce, one uneffected by Covid, and it’s protocols could potentially bring out the best of him next season.

He has acknowledged that Vancouver is the place that gave him this opportunity to prove himself to be who he is..  I hope he continues to wear his heart on his sleeve here.

Anything in a trade will not replace the type of leadership all of our younger players are following with him.
Their games are rising with his type of attitude, one that is hard to find,.  Because other teams value, and hold on to it.

Miller has grown here,.   Thinking that bringing in a seasoned vet, with leadership qualities and years of NHL experience, can not, will not,  replace the symbiotic process developing with his team mates here.

He has established himself here, nowhere else.. and I think that will be acknowledged by him.

Personally I think he signs something similar to T Hertyls  new contract with the Sharks 

8m - 8.5 x 8 ..  and moveable after 3-4years, as is Hertyls contract.

I realize Miller has drastically outperformed Hertyl ,   And he probably will with this TEAM.…  but I think Miller understands the concept of TEAM, and what it has done for him on this city.

It’s hockey folks, anything can happen, including the exact opposite of my thoughts.

lol.

So ask yourself this,  would you want Tomas Hertyl here with that contract, or JT Miller?

.. because that’s close to the latest standard.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Chytil is 22.  He’s 6’3 and 210 pounds.  He’s got elite puck skills.  Not at all comparable to Dicky.

Petey

Bo

Chytil

Lammiko

I wasn't comparing Chytil to Dickinson (although their size, softness and stats are actually very similar now you mention that).

My point was that Chytil would be miscast as a 3C, just like Dickinson was by JB. Chytil might be young and big, but he is a 3LW at best and doesn't use his size.

Let's not trade a 100 pt top 6 center (Miller) where one of the key pieces coming back is a big soft 3LW...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

We should consider ourselves lucky if we sign him to something that works for him and the Club.

Could you imagine the points / stats he would have this season had we started the season with Boudreau?

I think the best is yet to come with Miller, but his identity as a leader by example in all elements of his play is worth a 1/3 or more of the contract he will sign.

A full season with Bruce, one uneffected by Covid, and it’s protocols could potentially bring out the best of him next season.

He has acknowledged that Vancouver is the place that gave him this opportunity to prove himself to be who he is..  I hope he continues to wear his heart on his sleeve here.

Anything in a trade will not replace the type of leadership all of our younger players are following with him.
Their games are rising with his type of attitude, one that is hard to find,.  Because other teams value, and hold on to it.

Miller has grown here,.   Thinking that bringing in a seasoned vet, with leadership qualities and years of NHL experience, can not, will not,  replace the symbiotic process developing with his team mates here.

He has established himself here, nowhere else.. and I think that will be acknowledged by him.

Personally I think he signs something similar to T Hertyls  new contract with the Sharks 

8m - 8.5 x 8 ..  and moveable after 3-4years, as is Hertyls contract.

I realize Miller has drastically outperformed Hertyl ,   And he probably will with this TEAM.…  but I think Miller understands the concept of TEAM, and what it has done for him on this city.

It’s hockey folks, anything can happen, including the exact opposite of my thoughts.

lol.

So ask yourself this,  would you want Tomas Hertyl here with that contract, or JT Miller?

.. because that’s close to the latest standard.

Hertl is younger and his contract starts this coming season.  He will be 36 when it ends.  

Miller would need to sign a six year deal to be a closer comparable.  

Will Miller sign 6 year at 8.2 mil?  Likely not.

So do we go 6 years x 9-9.5 per?  

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

I wasn't comparing Chytil to Dickinson (although their size, softness and stats are actually very similar now you mention that).

My point was that Chytil would be miscast as a 3C, just like Dickinson was by JB. Chytil might be young and big, but he is a 3LW at best and doesn't use his size.

Let's not trade a 100 pt top 6 center (Miller) where one of the key pieces coming back is a big soft 3LW...

Miller for Chytil + is very likely what is coming.  (If Miller is traded) 

Just now, Alflives said:

Hertl is younger and his contract starts this coming season.  He will be 36 when it ends.  

Miller would need to sign a six year deal to be a closer comparable.  

Will Miller sign 6 year at 8.2 mil?  Likely not.

So do we go 6 years x 9-9.5 per?  

Who knows Alf?

But I don’t think Hertyl is going to get much better on that TEAM.

Thats the difference here for Miller, he will have longetivity with the core group he plays with here.. 

this Summer will be interesting,.

if we can’t come to terms with him , we move him for  ? .. it could be a defining move,  one that makes us better, or worse off in 4 years.… it’s back to wishing and hoping in a new direction.

If he stays, look for some one else of reasonable value to move with others to make us stronger in 2 spots.

22 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

My god not this again people want Chytil for Miller and Zacha for Boeser next thing we’ll be last in the league for goals scored and they’ll be wanting to trade all our top picks and prospects for comparable guys we traded away for bottom 6 players lol. I’m happy your talking some sense in that if Chytil is coming their better be a lot more and better pieces with him.

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Chytil is very much looking like a career 3rd liner! He’s got limited offensive abilities. That trade would suck unless it’s ++ with the pluses being better pieces than Chytil!

Chytil + Lundquist + Kravtsov for Miller.

Checks all the boxes.  

52 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

My god not this again people want Chytil for Miller and Zacha for Boeser next thing we’ll be last in the league for goals scored and they’ll be wanting to trade all our top picks and prospects for comparable guys we traded away for bottom 6 players lol. I’m happy your talking some sense in that if Chytil is coming their better be a lot more and better pieces with him.

To be fair, not "people"... just crazy, old aliens :lol:

I'm personally fine with Chytil coming back as the "cap" portion of a trade, with some lingering upside. He's young, has a good two way game that works on a 3rd like and is a good size with great skating. And he's got good puck skills (hasn't translated to the NHL yet), but that "what if" upside is there. Nothing wrong with that for the cap coming back. But no, he's not the main piece.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1