The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

53 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Absolutely.... regardless of what we think or want, we are just on the sidelines anyway.

If Petey goes, he goes, players come and players go... its just the continued rebuilding... Maybe thats what's needed, but how many fans have the stomach for another rebuild.. starting in a couple of years? 

Anyway, regardless if Miller stays or goes, I just hope it happens sooner rather than later, so it doesn't become more of a distraction, than it already is.... 

Yeah, in the end it's all out of our hands right? 

I think you'd be surprised. Sucks for older fans, but hey, they either continue following or they don't. It also depends, I think we could turn around quick as we've already got Demko and some solid young pieces. Rebuild and teardown ain't necessarily the same. 

I hope so too, but it makes for entertaining reading. I think he'll go, some are hellbent that he'll stay. Strong opinions all around, but despite the smarminess of some and the self-righteous indignation of others we don't know &^@# all beyond what's been reported and beyond thr numbers we already have regarding stats and studies.

Round and round we go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If he's gotta be traded you want it to go right, even if you realllly wanted him retained

bingo. For the the big red line was >8mil AAV. If he just won't move off that, it sucks (imo) but you have to walk away. 

I suspect everyone is going to be disappointed in some way by the deal, I really don't think the return will have us doing jigs. But otoh Burkie is 100% correct, cap space is a big deal and you get that by moving players too. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

bingo. For the the big red line was >8mil AAV. If he just won't move off that, it sucks (imo) but you have to walk away. 

I suspect everyone is going to be disappointed in some way by the deal, I really don't think the return will have us doing jigs. But otoh Burkie is 100% correct, cap space is a big deal and you get that by moving players too. 

Cap space is worth a ton, even if I'm underwhelmed by the return I'll stand by my believing he won't fit what I think our window will be 

I ain't budging on that one, I genuinely think we're at least four years out from contention, which isn't to say we won't be in the mix for playoff spots prior to that 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If the best offer was Chytil, young D, first and JR gets a similar return for Miller, that’s definitely going to have us take a big step back.  

Maybe the idea of solving several of our problems with the Miller return is a fool’s game?  We might be far better off getting back one very good piece.  Be that a 23-27 year old guy who plays top four D, an under 22 guy with a high ceiling, or a top 10 pick.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Cap space is worth a ton, even if I'm underwhelmed by the return I'll stand by my believing he won't fit what I think our window will be 

I ain't budging on that one, I genuinely think we're at least four years out from contention, which isn't to say we won't be in the mix for playoff spots prior to that 

yup I can understand that. For me if its 4 years I want the nuclear option and tank for elite picks. 

I've seen nearly all of this teams era's come and go and I'd be just fine with a proper blow up at this point. 

Edited by JM_
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the best offer was Chytil, young D, first and JR gets a similar return for Miller, that’s definitely going to have us take a big step back.  

Maybe the idea of solving several of our problems with the Miller return is a fool’s game?  We might be far better off getting back one very good piece.  Be that a 23-27 year old guy who plays top four D, an under 22 guy with a high ceiling, or a top 10 pick.  

yeah that could be for sure. I never thought we'd be getting that 4 pice deal. 

I'd be fine with a C or d, C might be easier to obtain and at least thats a position for position move. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup I can understand that. For me if its 4 years I want the nuclear option and tank for elite picks. 

I've seen nearly all of this teams era's come and go and I'd be just fine with a proper blow up at this point. 

It may just come to that. Some really solid pieces here, but the depth. The depth just isn't here. A Miller trade will help. Some luck with a few prospects will help. In the end you look at other teams who did it the right way and the second, third rounders have turned into players and legit prospects building depth and trade chips. I have braced myself to the reality that JB's and Aqualini's short cut rebuild may just fall short. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If anyone was gonna do that it'd probs be JR, he sounds like he means business here 

I'd be surprised though 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

It may just come to that. Some really solid pieces here, but the depth. The depth just isn't here. A Miller trade will help. Some luck with a few prospects will help. In the end you look at other teams who did it the right way and the second, third rounders have turned into players and legit prospects building depth and trade chips. I have braced myself to the reality that JB's and Aqualini's short cut rebuild may just fall short. 

for me its all about the one or two truly elite guys you get from the tanking process. The later picks are nice and certainly help with cheap depth once a team is competitive tho. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If anyone was gonna do that it'd probs be JR, he sounds like he means business here 

I'd be surprised though 

Agreed. Almost like Aqua has realized the mistakes and has more or less said to JR, "your the expert, get it done the right way" The fact Aqua has hired such an experienced GM is telling.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

How can I explain….

It’s like eating one of the best damn steak you’ve ever had but while at it, dreaming of chicken McNuggets because there are six of them in the box.

So you stop eating your steak halfway so you can go get that junk.

Asinine at best.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

No sound business does that. Ever.

They restructure. But they don’t blow themselves up on purpose.

9 minutes ago, rekker said:

Agreed. Almost like Aqua has realized the mistakes and has more or less said to JR, "your the expert, get it done the right way" The fact Aqua has hired such an experienced GM is telling.

Mhmm, Rutherford wouldn't be here without complete autonomy, he didn't need this job and his accomplishments and career have him in the hall of fame. If any management figure in the league wasn't going to be a yes man it'd be him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

How can I explain….

It’s like eating the best dam steak you’ve ever had but while at it, dreaming of chicken McNuggets because there are six of them in the box.

So you stop eating your steak halfway so you can go get that junk.

Asinine at best.

Not even slightly the case!  Can the steak get up and walk away before you eat it? Can it turn itself in to a cold slice of bologna that you’re forced to eat or else you get charged extra?

Can your nuggets transform themselves in to a rotisserie chicken?

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised though 

its hard to read the tea leaves right now. Take the Kuzmeko signing, clearly they sold him on a plan and opportunity. I doubt that plan was a full tank. Could he have sold him on a quick rebuild, say around getting some more Russian pals in like Mikheyev and Lyubushkin.... could be.

But then there's talk of moving Miller and Boeser, which depending on the return could set us back for 1 or 2 years. 

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

37 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for me its all about the one or two truly elite guys you get from the tanking process. The later picks are nice and certainly help with cheap depth once a team is competitive tho. 

Been saying this needs to happen.

JR & PA need to be bold in whatever direction they go in retool or rebuild with no shortcuts and I'm hoping for the rebuild option.