The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Your not going to “find” that leadership or player for under 9m ..  but for Miller to get him close to the 8-8.2 figure is a good deal.

Look at Hertyls contract lol !

I think a round about 8.2 x 6 yr he signs, and he is worth that.

”finding” another player with leadership qualities like that .. ?  Mark Scheifele? perhaps?  but without the pre existing relationship Miller has it’s a dummy down.

Bo was projected to be what Miller is.

Id rather move Bo at the over paid sum he is probably going to get at 7m.

Now don’t go soft with your highly acclaimed  attachment to Horvat..  think about that.

Bo for Chytl and Lindgren?  

What about Brock?

Is he about to play hard ball this Summer?

Brocks rights for Fiala’s  ..  ? straight hockey trade.

You, yourself can be more dynamic than just using Miller as the one to move agent .

put away your holographic charts and get back to basics.

This is what I use ..

maya erskine hulu originals GIF by HULU

These are the types of guys we should be targeting:

https://theathletic.com/3362165/2022/06/13/canucks-free-agents/

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

These are the types of guys we should be targeting:

https://theathletic.com/3362165/2022/06/13/canucks-free-agents/

Awww COM onnn !! 
..  I’m not buying a subscription to agree or disagree to your beliefs agent!

Im a low down cheapskate like everybody else in this Forum :) 

if you can’t name them , at least send pictures, I like looking at pictures ;) 

ps. Make sure the jersey numbers are clearly visible :) 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-could-trade-for-miller/

If all else fails New York Rangers could trade for J.T. Miller

The New York Rangers trading for J.T. Miller could become an offseason hot topic again.

According to recent reporting by Darren Dreger on TSN’s Insider Trading, the Vancouver Canucks are very much listening to offers for Miller and pending RFA Brock Boeser.

“The Canucks are interested in listening, [GM] Patrik Allvin I’m sure is very busy, but the Canucks aren’t just in the market for draft picks,” Dreger said. “They need good, young players, NHL players in return. It’s going to be a very interesting off-season in Vancouver.”

With the Rangers cap strapped as pending UFA’s Andrew Copp and Ryan Strome are looking for at least 5-year deals around $6 million each, Miller may present a cheaper one year option.

New York Rangers and J.T. Miller

Miller, 29, was the Canucks leading scorer with 99 points in 80 games this past season. He has one year left on his current deal which comes at a very affordable $5.25M cap hit. Speculation has his next deal expected to be in the $8.5M AAV range for at least 5 years.

Honestly, that is not a contract the Rangers will be able to do in 2023-24 considering they will need to re-sign Alexis Lafrenière, K’Andre Miller, and Filip Chytil. Which makes his acquisition a Cup or Bust type move.

So what would it cost in assets to acquire Miller? Ultimately that will depend on the market demand, which Dreger noted almost every team in this year’s playoffs would pursue.

When talks were hot and heavy leading up to the trade deadline, I felt a package of Nils Lundkvist, Chytil, and at least first-round pick could get it done. After trading for Andrew Copp and making it to the Eastern Conference Final, the Rangers don’t have a first rounder in this year’s draft.

Of course, a first-round pick in 2023 may be just fine for the Canucks if they are getting back Nils Lundkvist and another top prospect. Leading me to pending RFA, Kaapo Kakko because that’s the player Vancouver will ask for.

Would a package of Kakko and Lundkvist, sans a first-round pick, make sense for the Rangers who believe they can win the Cup next season? What if the Canucks were also willing to retain 50% of Miller’s salary? That would also give Drury the ability to re-sign Frank Vatrano and Tyler Motte.

new york rangers j.t. miller Dec 30, 2021; Los Angeles, California, USA; Vancouver Canucks center J.T. Miller (9) reacts against the LA Kings in the third period at Crypto.com Arena. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

It’s a tough question to answer, and if I’m Chris Drury, I will be looking for other ways to acquire Miller without giving up Kakko at this stage of his career. Especially, if you are going to let Miller walk.

Unfortunately, Vitali Kravtsov isn’t likely to move the needle for the Canucks. Brennan Othmann is off the table and I don’t think Will Cuylle is going to get it done either.

In the end, all signs point to re-signing either Copp or Strome. However, if both players are pushing for more than 5 years, $6 million, and full no-trade clauses it may force Drury’s hand to address his need for a 2C.

Depending on the where the market is, Miller may make sense as long as Kakko is not in the deal.

Note: J.T. Miller was used as a winger but can also player center. His potential chemistry with Artemi Panarin and ability to be effective at that position is a major consideration.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Trade Miller for RHD.  Hopefully offload Myers.  Boeser re-signs at a multi year deal around 6.5 mil.

Try to land Copp and Lazar. 

That’s the wish list!

Like you’re suggesting, maybe less is more?

Only Miller and Myers out.

We would need a 3C and a top four right side D, preferably 2.

Sid Crosby is 5.5 years older than Miller and has 3 years left at 8.7m per. Pitt is talking about making moves to give Sid another shot at  a cup.

People here want to trade Miller - our best forward and play driver because he is going to be too old in 5 years. He may be he may not be. 

I hope management makes the right call here. We are not going to be a better team with Marino and Copp using up Miller's money.  Trading Miller only makes sense for years that he declines.  But when will that be? Trading Miller now is not a open and shut case imo. There is a big risk that we take a step back because of it and maybe we improve in a couple years - or maybe we just miss having a guy of his talent on the roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Sid Crosby is 5.5 years older than Miller and has 3 years left at 8.7m per. Pitt is talking about making moves to give Sid another shot at  a cup.

People here want to trade Miller - our best forward and play driver because he is going to be too old in 5 years. He may be he may not be. 

I hope management makes the right call here. We are not going to be a better team with Marino and Copp using up Miller's money.  Trading Miller only makes sense for years that he declines.  But when will that be? Trading Miller now is not a open and shut case imo. There is a big risk that we take a step back because of it and maybe we improve in a couple years - or maybe we just miss having a guy of his talent on the roster.

Crosby is one the best to ever play.  He is a much more complete player than Miller.  But Miller sure has proved he’s pretty darned good too.  Maybe we get a very good Miller TIL he’s 33, and then he drops off a bit?  If he goes from 99 points to 70 points that’s still a very good player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Because they have a team that can compete for a cup, we don't. Big difference.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like you’re suggesting, maybe less is more?

Only Miller and Myers out.

We would need a 3C and a top four right side D, preferably 2.

I think Copp might work as a 3C although he’s going to be expensive - pretty much replacing Miler’s salary. It’s also a longer shot because he’ll see a ton of attention.  

If we trade Miller I think getting the 3C right is just as important as re-jigging the defence, though. 

Lazar sounds like a nice fit for 4C and with the buzz around him it seems likely. 

The return for Miller has to be a younger RHD who has top pairing potential as the focal point. It has to be.  If you can’t get proper value I’d say we look to move Boeser or Garland for the same fit. 

I agree we’d still be looking for one more RHD but maybe that’s one where we look for a bit of a bargain or see if we can find takers for Dickinson, etc to free up room to find one in FA.  By all accounts Management is surprisingly high on Poolman so maybe he’ll be healthy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Because they have a team that can compete for a cup, we don't. Big difference.

Yes but in a couple of years if we still have Miller and with the invevitable development of Petey hughes Podz hogz kuz etc and with a coupe smaller moves (not trading miller) maybe we are in a position to contend - and if we have traded away Miller maybe we are worse off.

Just saying there is a big risk here.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think Copp might work as a 3C although he’s going to be expensive - pretty much replacing Miler’s salary. It’s also a longer shot because he’ll see a ton of attention.  

If we trade Miller I think getting the 3C right is just as important as re-jigging the defence, though. 

Lazar sounds like a nice fit for 4C and with the buzz around him it seems likely. 

The return for Miller has to be a younger RHD who has top pairing potential as the focal point. It has to be.  If you can’t get proper value I’d say we look to move Boeser or Garland for the same fit. 

I agree we’d still be looking for one more RHD but maybe that’s one where we look for a bit of a bargain or see if we can find takers for Dickinson, etc to free up room to find one in FA.  By all accounts Management is surprisingly high on Poolman so maybe he’ll be healthy.

New management is high on Poolman?  That’s interesting.  I wonder where they see him fitting, if it’s beside OEL or on the bottom pair?

Without a crystal ball, imo it’s a big risk to re-sign Miller.  

And if reports/rumours are true, VAN/Miller are too far apart to get a deal done that will work in VANs favour.

So, its a good opportunity to try and acquire some key young talent.

BUT, listening to Spitting Chicklets interviews w/ Crosby, McKinnon etc-guys like Miller dont grow on trees. He is the leader no doubt about it. Horvat is a great captain, but Miller is a guy that gets his team fired up. Trading him will leave a big void because he talks the talk and backs it up with his play. I do think Petey, Hughes, Demko, are ultra competitive and really good players, but the personality and competitiveness of Miller is something else.  He can get guys motivated in those crucial moments.

Im really curious how the team can address that/not an easy thing to replace. Locker room dynamics often fly under the radar but they are a big component of how a team performs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Yes but in a couple of years if we still have Miller and with the invevitable development of Petey hughes Podz hogz kuz etc and with a coupe smaller moves (not trading miller) maybe we are in a position to contend - and if we have traded away Miller maybe we are worse off.

Just saying there is a big risk here.

And we have Demko.  In any series he can win it providing our team is competitive.  Maybe keeping things as we have them, with a couple little moves is best?  How about Pearson or Dickinson for Kapanen?  

5 hours ago, stawns said:

the issue I have with the sign Miller crowd is that they completely ignore that fact that JT may very well, even likely, doesn't want to continue his career in Van.  In which case, you get what you can for him, so the return might not really be in control of the management team.  They may have to be happy with whatever they can get.

Not moving him at the deadline was a mistake

Yeah, well, if he doesn't want to be here, then it's just not going to work out. Doesn't matter how much the organization wants him, if he doesn't want to be here, then you gotta trade him to get the best haul in return you can get for a guy who doesn't want to play for your franchise. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we have Demko.  In any series he can win it providing our team is competitive.  Maybe keeping things as we have them, with a couple little moves is best?  How about Pearson or Dickinson for Kapanen?  

Pearson and Dickinson are expendable.   Those players being moved have much less dramatic impact on the dressing room than moving Miller. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

New management is high on Poolman?  That’s interesting.  I wonder where they see him fitting, if it’s beside OEL or on the bottom pair?

I don’t think that was speculated… for his contract (long, yes) I think either work.  

Itd be nice if we trade for a guy to play with Hughes and OEL/Poolman play the 2nd pair, allowing OEL to produce a bit more offence. I’ve also read Poolman’s career might be done so there’s that too.

• Cheers 1