The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

42 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

That doesn't move the needle except for the 23 1st.

I think BB/Garland could get Marino or someone better straight up 1 for 1

Me as well i think Marino is little bit overrated on here I’m hoping for superior package but I think that is what we end up with 

30 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

That doesn't move the needle except for the 23 1st.

I think BB/Garland could get Marino or someone better straight up 1 for 1

It actually does with Marino. Not flashy but a steady and solid RD which we desperately need. Signed for another 5 years at 4.4m. Not bad and although only 180lbs he gets it done with calm collected thinking. Kind of like Tanev.

No way BB gets it done for Pitt, especially with his QO he has next to no value and I don't see them having much use for Garland either. I don't know if a tiny yet feisty winger does much for their playoff line-up. Maybe though who knows and the salaries offset. If we could do that plus a Miller trade for another RD (hopefully bigger) that would be the cats ass.

11 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

35 year old Letang wants a 5 year contract at 8M per to age 40 and folks here freaking out about our best player potentially having a contract at around same salary to age 37. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

It just goes to show how most of our fanbase is Vancouver exclusive when it comes to the game of hockey. Very little understanding of how the rest of the league operates. Not sure how many guys need to be currently in the league and playing top tier game all approaching or in mid 30's for them to understand.

I would still move Miller with that said because I'm not interested in reading all the complaints for the next 8 years 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

35 year old Letang wants a 5 year contract at 8M per to age 40 and folks here freaking out about our best player potentially having a contract at around same salary to age 37. 

Letang has been doing what he's been doing a lot longer than Miller and the numbers back that up. 650 points in 941 games as a D. And guess what, Pittsburgh has a preference for shorter term on any Letang deal, fancy that.

And no, I wouldn't give Letang that deal.

Edited by Coconuts

7 minutes ago, mll said:

A trade with an extension in place typically has a better return than for a 1-year rental.  Miller gets to decide whether he wants to extend with interested teams. Picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed.

It also significantly restricts potential trade partners.  I think selling him as a rental is the better option at this point.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Picks are lottery tickets.

Sure you could flip them but I think their preference would be to target good young players in the Miller trade rather than be forced to make a series of trades.

Okaaaay but your limited in that aspect. If only a handful of teams want him, and even a smaller number has pieces we need... we take the highest valued items and flip them. Not just say ahhh screw it Marino and kapanen is enough because we need players like them 

It's like self handcuffing and turning it into the Kesler deal. No need to 

8 minutes ago, mll said:

A trade with an extension in place typically has a better return than for a 1-year rental.  Miller gets to decide whether he wants to extend with interested teams. Picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed.

I wonder if that would be on the table for a deal. 

This management group is so tight lipped. We really don't hear much coming out of them. 

It's kind of refreshing. LOL 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Letang has been doing what he's been doing a lot longer than Miller and the numbers back that up. 650 points in 941 games as a D. And guess what, Pittsburgh has a preference for shorter term on any Letang deal, fancy that.

And no, I wouldn't give Letang that deal.

Given Miller’s age, it’s not so unreasonable he gets a 7 year contract. That’s the point I was trying to make. Also, Miller’s current value to the Canucks > Letang on the Pens.

49 minutes ago, mll said:

Josh Yohe, Penguins' beat writer for The Athletic says that several agents have told him that based on discussions with Hextall, they feel that Malkin won't be back in Pittsburgh.  Some of his sources in the organisation also feel the same way.

Yohe also writes:  "I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The Fenway Group isn’t interested in any kind of rebuild. This is an ownership group that wants to win right now. Expect plenty of transactions this summer."

Yeah, I think Malkin is unlikely to be retained. Wouldn't be surprised to see him just go back to Russia, wouldn't be surprised to see him land with a team out East. 

Don't see him coming west. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder if that would be on the table for a deal. 

This management group is so tight lipped. We really don't hear much coming out of them. 

It's kind of refreshing. LOL 

And any news you are hearing is Richard trying to start and answer his own rumors for clicks on his little YouTube show 

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

One team is the Pittsburgh Penguins and is on the tail end of one of the best hockey players to ever play the game and our team has made the playoffs once in 8 years.

Full House Reaction GIF

:P

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Given Miller’s age, it’s not so unreasonable he gets a 7 year contract. That’s the point I was trying to make. Also, Miller’s current value to the Canucks > Letang on the Pens.

Unreasonable? That depends entirely on who's signing him. Will he like get 7-8 years from someone? Yeah, he's earned that. 

Would I give it to him? Do I hope the Canucks give it to him? Hell no. For reasons we've gone around in circles on for months. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I think Malkin is unlikely to be retained. Wouldn't be surprised to see him just go back to Russia, wouldn't be surprised to see him land with a team out East. 

Don't see him coming west. 

I can see Malkin going back to Russia. Motherland. 

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Miller got a 7 year deal (the max he can get right?) from a team in the league. 

But one year at 99 points doesn't produce a career. And for most of his career, he hasn't been producing that, and now he's at this cross roads in his career where he's 30, and he's had a few good seasons. I can't imagine Miller at 36, producing 30-40 points for 9M. 

Can probably kiss a few of the younger players who will be needing new deals, good bye at that point. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Rick dhaliwal.

Figured I'd hit him with the stern mother's voice full name :lol:

LOL. 

Ah, Rick. Well, he's doing his job. hahaha 

stirring up $&!#, "hearing" stuff. I don't have a problem with him. At least he gives us content to talk about this off-season. It's been boring as hell. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see Malkin going back to Russia. Motherland. 

He's got duel citizenship so he could just retire and chill tbh, but I see him wanting to play. 

It'd be a shame for Pens fans if he went to another franchise, but honestly as long as it's not us I don't give a &^@# what he does. &^@# Malkin, I won't ever forget that dirty hit he threw on Mitchell. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

LOL. 

Ah, Rick. Well, he's doing his job. hahaha 

stirring up $&!#, "hearing" stuff. I don't have a problem with him. At least he gives us content to talk about this off-season. It's been boring as hell. 

He has more sources than us yes, But admitted many times its agents.

Agents leak things to build interest in their clients, if he leaks it that means our franchise is not the ones that's showed interest. It's the other way around 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought JR and Allvin said they don’t want picks.

They want young guys that can help now.

I think Marino and Poulin would be the the main pieces.

They don't JUST want picks... picks are also welcome :)

If Pittsburgh wants to push a rebuild for a couple years... then we have the pieces for them!

They can get Miller with 50% retained for an unprotected 2023 1st rounder and Marino+Poulin... and we get to give them Myers to replace a departing Letang as a bonus for them!  We can take Kapanen back if that is needed to make the money work.

We can then use our Pittsburgh connections to sign Malkin for a team friendly 2 year deal  as a bridge until we have some more prospects ready :)

Petterson-Malkin-Podkolzin  ... there is a nice top line with a veteran Russian to mentor Podkolzin and Kuzmenko!

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1