The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman in his 32 Thoughts.  Thinks the Canucks are also looking into the possibility of re-signing Miller.

1. My sense is that part of Vancouver’s thought process includes the possibility of re-signing JT Miller, not trading him. I’m not saying that’s the likely outcome, but, at the very least, they’ve investigated the idea and what it would take. That’s one reason other names — like Conor Garland’s — are out there. President of Hockey Operations Jim Rutherford wants to create room, and will explore almost all options to do it. I do think at least one team’s made a run at Miller (my guess is the Rangers), but obviously not to the point where the Canucks said yes.

---

Another Sportsnet article has MacIntyre saying this on Miller:

"I don't think they're in any hurry to trade JT Miller at all," Sportsnet's Iain MacIntyre said on Monday night's post-game show. "There's a lot of teams interested in him, and if they get an offer that's too good to pass up, then they'll probably trade JT Miller this spring. But I'm not sure they're going to get that offer. With him in particular, I would still probably be more surprised, not shocked, but more surprised than not if they trade him this season. I think that's a deal they could do in the summer, at the start of next season or even during next season."

Is there a bigger BS’er than Freidman who manages to make a living doing so? He is so connected in the hockey world that GM’s can’t wait to phone him and bare their souls. Did the guy ever play hockey at any level? I don’t think he knows what end of the stick to grab. At least Bieksa was exposing the guy but it appears that SN told Kevin to cool it. To be fair the whole HNIC crew of buffoons were afraid of KB’s cutting wit. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Best case scenario for the team is that we re-sign Miller to a long-term deal, something like 5-6 years at 6-7M? Won't age too well but he'll be a top line center next season, then a top-6 center for maybe 1-2 seasons after that and even after that I think when he's in his early 30's he'll still be a great Sutter-like 3rd line center who can score 40 points and win big faceoffs, and hopefully he'll kill more penalties.

We've lacked a true 1st line center since Henrik left, Petey came in and dazzled everyone but he's far from the big, strong, physical center you need to win in the playoffs nowadays. J.T Miller is a rare Kopitar/Getzlaf-esque center who can score a point-per-game and play with a strong, hard edge and not get pushed around. We've been waiting for one of these sorts of players for ages and now we have one, we want to trade him?

Nothing we get back will be worth a point-per-game big, strong center in his prime. Realistically we only win a trade like this if we swap him for a young forward like Lafrenierre, a 1st (which will be a late one) PLUS a decent prospect, but no team is going to do that. 

I would build this team going forward around our strong centers like Miller and Bo. Pettersson and Brock are projects for me. Purely performance-based, I don't think Petey and Boeser should be "untouchable" by any means...

Donald Trump Debate GIF by Election 2016

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Best case scenario for the team is that we re-sign Miller to a long-term deal, something like 5-6 years at 6-7M? Won't age too well but he'll be a top line center next season, then a top-6 center for maybe 1-2 seasons after that and even after that I think when he's in his early 30's he'll still be a great Sutter-like 3rd line center who can score 40 points and win big faceoffs, and hopefully he'll kill more penalties.

Problem being, that with thirty'ish players at their peak, the shorter the term, the higher the hit. On a 5 or 6 year deal, Miller is definitely going to cost in the $9-$10m range.

Not $6-7m. Like that's laughable. Sorry bruh.

if he signs for 6-8 years you might be able to get that down more in the $8m range but do we really want either of those options? An $8-10m, mid 30's, declining 3rd liner in the meat of Hughes and Petey's prime sounds like an AWFUL plan for cap allocation.

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Is there a bigger BS’er than Freidman who manages to make a living doing so? He is so connected in the hockey world that GM’s can’t wait to phone him and bare their souls. Did the guy ever play hockey at any level? I don’t think he knows what end of the stick to grab. At least Bieksa was exposing the guy but it appears that SN told Kevin to cool it. To be fair the whole HNIC crew of buffoons were afraid of KB’s cutting wit. 

Dhaliwal says they are torn about what to do with Miller.  

Stan Smyl also this week said that cap space is a big issue and that they have to deal with that if they want to move forward.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Stan Smyl also this week said that cap space is a big issue and that they have to deal with that if they want to move forward.

If they want to completely decimate Petey's development, trade Miller.

Miller provides the shelter for Petey to develop properly.  Without him, Petey is thrown into the spotlight as THE offensive threat down the middle.  Bo is a 2C at best, especially as he ages.  Lamikko is an energy guy. 

So without Miller, Petey is the defacto #1C.  He better produce, because he can't PK, match-up, or be a physical presence down the middle.  Talk about added pressure to someone already struggling to meet expectations.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, mll said:

As they should be. Miller's a good player. Plus they likely haven't got anyone's best offer yet.

The implied scarcity also raises his value.

Edited by aGENT

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If they want to completely decimate Petey's development, trade Miller.

Miller provides the shelter for Petey to develop properly.  Without him, Petey is thrown into the spotlight as THE offensive threat down the middle.  Bo is a 2C at best, especially as he ages.  Lamikko is an energy guy. 

So without Miller, Petey is the defacto #1C.  He better produce, because he can't PK, match-up, or be a physical presence down the middle.  Talk about added pressure to someone already struggling to meet expectations.

Sooner or later Pettersson was always going to have to produce anyway, he's not always going to have 28-29 caliber Miller around to hold his hand.

Decimate his development? Holy hyperbole Batman. Pettersson did just fine without him during his rookie season, he broke records in the SHL, Miller doesn't make him the player he is and to pretend otherwise is ridiculous. 

Pro hockey is all about pressure, he's already under pressure and has been since his Calder performance. No, he doesn't PK or match up, but he wouldn't be the only top center not to. Our future depends on how Pettersson does regardless of whether Miller is around anyway, because let's be real, we will not be a contender over the next 2-3 years.

Trade Miller and build up a better team around him, Hughes, and Demko, as opposed to desperately trying to milk the few remaining years of Miller's prime. Every player has a peak, he may have 3-4 top years left, but I doubt he has 7-8. Build around the youth, not a player who's peak we may very well be seeing this season.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sooner or later Pettersson was always going to have to produce anyway, he's not always going to have 28-29 caliber Miller around to hold his hand.

Decimate his development? Holy hyperbole Batman. Pettersson did just fine without him during his rookie season, he broke records in the SHL, Miller doesn't make him the player he is and to pretend otherwise is ridiculous. 

Pro hockey is all about pressure, he's already under pressure and has been since his Calder performance. No, he doesn't PK or match up, but he wouldn't be the only top center not to. Our future depends on how Pettersson does regardless of whether Miller is around anyway, because let's be real, we will not be a contender over the next 2-3 years.

Trade Miller and build up a better team around him, Hughes, and Demko, as opposed to desperately trying to milk the few remaining years of Miller's prime. Every player has a peak, he may have 3-4 top years left, but I doubt he has 7-8. Build around the youth, not a player who's peak we may very well be seeing this season.

Never mind that we'd almost certainly be signing or trading for a 3C to cover a lot of those PK, match up etc minutes. The right 3C will likely, actually be better than Miller on the PK anyway as they tend to specialize on those skill sets more.

Horvat is more than capable of playing match up + producing, he does so already most of the time anyway. New 3C does more match up, covers the PK etc, Lammiko's line does the energy thing. That leaves Petey's line still largely offensively sheltered. The horror :rolleyes: A setup like that, worked pretty well for a couple of future HOF, Swedish twins.

Never mind that Pettersson being some shrinking violet is a bit ridiculous. How quickly people forget his first couple years... 

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Never mind that we'd almost certainly be signing or trading for a 3C to cover a lot of those PK, match up etc minutes. The right 3C will likely, actually be better than Miller on the PK anyway as they tend to specialize on those skill sets more.

Horvat is more than capable of playing match up + producing, he does so already most of the time anyway. New 3C does more match up, covers the PK etc, Lammiko's line does the energy thing. That leaves Petey's line still largely offensively sheltered. The horror :rolleyes:

Never mind that Pettersson being some shrinking violet is a bit ridiculous. How quickly people forget his first couple years... 

I'm not gonna spend my day discussing this again.

You're kidding yourselves if you don't think having Miller around doesn't take immense pressure off Petey.  If Miller wasn't around, the media would be blasting Petey at this point, ESPECIALLY after his big fat new contract. 

Having match up centres does nothing for Petey.  Petey needs to carry the offence.  Tierney and Paul doesn't make one lick of difference in terms of Petey being THE #1 centre for this franchise and being expected to produce the big game offence. 

The Canucks are 26th in goals for in the entire league WITH a point-per-game centre in Miller.  Trading his 82 points away would help in that respect, how exactly???

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not gonna spend my day discussing this again.

You're kidding yourselves if you don't think having Miller around doesn't take immense pressure off Petey.  If Miller wasn't around, the media would be blasting Petey at this point, ESPECIALLY after his big fat new contract. 

Having match up centres does nothing for Petey.  Petey needs to carry the offence.  Tierney and Paul doesn't make one lick of difference in terms of Petey being THE #1 centre for this franchise and being expected to produce the big game offence. 

Pettersson doesn't need to be the 1C next year.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Canucks are 26th in goals for in the entire league WITH a point-per-game centre in Miller.  Trading his 82 points away would help in that respect, how exactly???

By improving our defense. Where does our point production from the back end stack up again...? Oh yeah ;)

Pettersson doesn't need to be the 1C next year.

By improving our defense. Where does our point production from the back end stack up again...? Oh yeah ;)

So who's gonna be the #1C?  Our 46 point pace captain Horvat?

Yes, adding big bruising RHD defencemen will bring up the back end offence for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah, most of our forwards aren't exactly having career years. Clearly that's going to continue to be the case moving forward, not their historic norms, and especially not after upgrading the defense to get them the puck more and drive more offense.

Just now, HKSR said:

Yes, adding big bruising RHD defencemen will bring up the back end offence for sure.

Yup, we're bring back Gudbranson. Fix all our problems.

• Haha 1

Yeah, most of our forwards aren't exactly having career years. Clearly that's going to continue to be the case moving forward, not their historic norms, and especially not after upgrading the defense to get them the puck more and drive more offense.

Yup, we're bring back Gudbranson. Fix all our problems.

Again... you think bringing in defensive defencemen are gonna drive offence? 

I'll tell you one thing for sure.  Dumping a PPG centre won't help their offence.  It's not rocket dentistry.

So we need more defence you think?  I'm sorry, but where is the Canucks defence ranked 5v5?  Oh that's right... Top 5 in the entire league.  But yes, carry on touting about how we need more defence while our offence is 26th in the entire league.  Oh, and dump our PPG centre for more defence while we're at it.

• Cheers 1

Really very curious what kinds of offers JR is getting regarding Miller. Smart the way they're doing it, rather than running out of time, they put Miller up For Sale early, and seeing what they could get for him. Then, if a deal makes sense, I imagine they do that. 

Some Pettersson trade talk right now, but I believe the only untouchables are: Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.

I'd be happy with a Top 4 Dman and a good #3C as a return, for Miller

Edited by NUCKER67

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Again... you think bringing in defensive defencemen are gonna drive offence? 

I'll tell you one thing for sure.  Dumping a PPG centre won't help their offence.  It's not rocket dentistry.

So we need more defence you think?  I'm sorry, but where is the Canucks defence ranked 5v5?  Oh that's right... Top 5 in the entire league.  But yes, carry on touting about how we need more defence while our offence is 26th in the entire league.  Oh, and dump our PPG centre for more defence while we're at it.

Who said defensive defenseman? Younger, faster, puck moving, 2 way D.

I think that. Bruce thinks that. Rutherford thinks that. They've all said it. Not sure why you're choosing to ignore it.

Our offensive production from our D is worst in league. THAT is why (beyond Pettersson et al having off years) we struggle to produce offense as a team.

Who said defensive defenseman? Younger, faster, puck moving, 2 way D.

I think that. Bruce thinks that. Rutherford thinks that. They've all said it. Not sure why you're choosing to ignore it.

Our offensive production from our D is worst in league. THAT is why (beyond Pettersson et al having off years) we struggle to produce offense as a team.

I'm not ignoring it, I'm looking at this from a different angle, and it now sounds like management is starting to see a bit of that too (Friedman has reported it, Garland has been rumoured on the block instead, etc).

Miller doesn't NEED to be traded.  He's the Canucks best player, and is irreplaceable based on everything he brings to the ice night after night. 

I think he's worth more to this team right now than prospects that MAY or MAY NOT pan out.  If the guys that JR/Allvin bring back for Miller don't pan out, this rebuild is dead. 

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Horvat has averaged 20 minutes per game over the past 4 seasons.miller has averaged 20:40 Over his 3 seasons here. Let's not pretend that Horvat (who is 2 years younger) is going to fall off a cliff before Miller.

• Cheers 1