The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I dunno with his age I think he’d prefer a team that’s already a contender like New York.

I don’t see New Jersey being close any time soon.

I think if he’s signing a big extension they could sell him on a path to the playoffs and his importance in that.

they have an elite backend 1-2 years away with what they have rn and Hughes Nemec incoming.

And of course their forward group has a lot of potential and a guy like Miller could really help them being a leader on the ice and in the room taking pressure of  Jack Hughes 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Welp, Marino is off the board. Imo a deal with Pittsburgh with Marino coming back to us was the most likely trade scenario for Miller. Now that Marino is gone, I think it's pretty much guaranteed Miller starts the season with us.

It's it? New Jersey has better secondary pieces and don't have the cap issues Pittsburgh had in making a deal.

They also don't really need all of Hamilton, Severson and Marino on the right....

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

It's it? New Jersey has better secondary pieces and don't have the cap issues Pittsburgh had in making a deal.

They also don't really need all of Hamilton, Severson and Marino on the right....

I agree.

I don’t think New Jersey has gone from trying to sign Gaudreau to thinking they don’t need to upgrade their top 6.

Any trade talk with them the Canucks would  have probably been asking for a right shot D. They probably asked for the second overall to draft Nemec, who they probably don’t wanna trade. I bet  they offered Severson who we don’t want because of his price tag and contract status.

This deal lines up nicely for a trade to New Jersey.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup.  18 million for those three alone.  Severson is likely on the move.  No way anyone touches Hamilton.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.

I don’t think New Jersey has gone from trying to sign Gaudreau to thinking they don’t need to upgrade their top 6.

Any trade talk with them the Canucks would  have probably been asking for a right shot D. They probably asked for the second overall to draft Nemec, who they probably don’t wanna trade. I bet  they offered Severson who we don’t want because of his price tag and contract status.

This deal lines up nicely for a trade to New Jersey.

Maybe both teams allow the other to talk extension with their respective year out UFAs - Miller and Severson?  

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol gaudreau getting 9.75x7 being the same age.. miller will sign for more than 2mil less? i think you guys need to just accept Miller's next contract assuming he keeps up his play will start at 8.5+ just a matter wether it's 6 or 7 years.

Gaudreau is 5 months younger. So ya similar age..

When Miller is UFA he'll be 30 years

old next summer.

Gaudreau singed 7 year deal at 28 years age. 

Gaudreau is amongst the very best play makers who sets up plays at elite level in the NHL

He's coming off a 42goals 115 pts season.. he as scored 99 points before. 

Miller's previous best was 27goals 72 pts

Gaudreau has scored 78,84 99 previously  plus115 pts this past season.

Miller not getting Gaudreau money. Big difference between 28 yr old 7 yr deal vs 30 yr old 7 yr deal.. 

Miller had a career year which he's highly unlikely to repeat.. 

Edited by WHL rocks

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe both teams allow the other to talk extension with their respective year out UFAs - Miller and Severson?  

JR has already said he wants picks, prospects and young players.

Severson at 28 does not fit that timeline. We need someone younger who can grow with Hughes as a partner.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Severson at 28 does not fit that timeline. We need someone younger who can grow with Hughes as a partner.

Then it’s got to be Pullock.

Miller + Dermott for Pulock

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Fabbro? He good man. Fits somewhere on that spectrum of two-way RD who could potentially be a Devon Toews to Quinn Hughes. Of course Severson or Weegar would be the dream scenarios there, but guys like Fabbro, or Jokiharju from Buffalo aren't far off.

Fabbro was Roman Josi's full-time partner this year and was a big part of his 96 point season. Obviously it's a big step down from Josi to Hughes and Josi carried the bag a lot between them, but he got some great experience in that type of role and would just have to take another step up in his level of responsibility in it.

Same basically goes for Jokiharju, he was Dahlin's regular partner in what was something of a breakout year for Dahlin.

Do you think they’d wanna trade josi partner though? 

indidnt see Marino to NJ.

I wonder if that was a trade to use marino + for miller or if Severson for Miller is a package about to happen.

but Severson is more of a 3/4 than a 1-2 imo

Maybe the Nemec acquisition pushing him out but I thought he wanted to be a career devil 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well severson 28-33 is still prime time for a dman. 

I’d be interested by bringing him in. But the extension price matters 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Do you think they’d wanna trade josi partner though? 

indidnt see Marino to NJ.

I wonder if that was a trade to use marino + for miller or if Severson for Miller is a package about to happen.

but Severson is more of a 3/4 than a 1-2 imo

Maybe the Nemec acquisition pushing him out but I thought he wanted to be a career devil 

Severson with Hughes would work very well.  It’s whether we could extend him on not?  

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Plus, Severson is overrated. I actually think Myers is better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Well severson 28-33 is still prime time for a dman. 

I’d be interested by bringing him in. But the extension price matters 

If we’re contending in the next 3-4 years.

Id rather a D man who is 18-25 that can grow with Hughes over the next 7+ years.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Severson secures that for 5 years so ample time to find the next RD.  I think we still get a young player along with Severson as well. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Severson with Hughes would work very well.  It’s whether we could extend him on not?  

Exactly! Thank you!

Fans really have dropped their expectations if Severson is now enough for them.

I’d rather re-sign Miller and fix our D problem through another trade if that’s the best we can do.

Just now, DeNiro said:

If we’re contending in the next 3-4 years.

Id rather a D man who is 18-25 that can grow with Hughes over the next 7+ years.

Me too but if severson is the best  they can get and he signs a reasonable extension here we could do much worse 

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Severson secures that for 5 years so ample time to find the next RD.  I think we still get a young player along with Severson as well. 

All he secures is signing another puck mover who’s gonna command big dollars long term.

Hes not the type of D man we need. We can’t just be desperate for any right shot D man. Has to be the right fit. Serverson ain’t that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we are fighting for a playoff spot come the 2023 TDL do you honestly believe our owner will allow a Miller Trade?  

Thats why we didn’t trade him at the 2022 TDL. Elliot Friedman said we took Miller off the market two weeks before that TDL.  

We kept him to battle down the stretch.  And to trade him this off season.  Trading in the off season provides a return tjat can help us right now.  Trading Miller st the TDL gets us futures.  “No step back”, right?  Which scenario is a for sure step back, and which scenario is a reshuffle of players and cap allocation?  

I think some posters need to accept that our owner set the direction to kerp getting better, while fixing the Benning cap mess.

And what’s wrong with that…getting better while fixing a previous mess? There’s no golden rule that we have to follow that demands we get worse.
We aren’t so devoid of really good talent or aging out so much that we have to blow anything up.

I think you’re just exhausted with ownership and looking to cast shadow over them for the past, while disregarding what we have in the now and who is in charge.  Completely different situations and professionals at the helm. 

it’s ok to continue to predict that there will be meddling by ownership, but it doesn’t really amount to much because guess what…they own the club. It’s both their right and business to manage it however they see fit. Like I said though, one really good sign is that they ok’d JR to build an extended mgmt team which demonstrates that they are attempting to leave the hockey side of the business to the people who know how to operate it.

you have to get with the now.

if the Aquas decide to become involved later then worry about it then. you’re a passionate fan…try not to let pessimism become the greater part of it, furball.