The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I doubt anyone would argue that what BB is going through is tough, but that can't play a factor in the team's decision

I think it needs to be considered and from what has been said in the press, has been considered.  BB very appropriately told BB that if he needed time to take it.

It is a results oriented business though and that is what will go in to I negotiating a deal. 
Brock is going through some tough stuff and is genuinely a very good and nice man as well as talented hockey player. 
‘Hopefully they can find a deal that works for both. 

• Cheers 1

I can see Brock going for a shorter term deal at a lower cap hit than what he has now. Right now his comparable on the team is Conor Garland. To me, the smartest thing is another show me deal. I can't see him getting or doing a long term deal. Maybe 1 or 2 years tops. Maybe 5-5.5 and then getting a money deal on the next go around. They both know that qualifying offer contract will affect his trade ability as well as put more pressure on him to perform. Can't be making that much money and not break 50 points. They'll get it done and we will be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I can see Brock going for a shorter term deal at a lower cap hit than what he has now. Right now his comparable on the team is Conor Garland. To me, the smartest thing is another show me deal. I can't see him getting or doing a long term deal. Maybe 1 or 2 years tops. Maybe 5-5.5 and then getting a money deal on the next go around. They both know that qualifying offer contract will affect his trade ability as well as put more pressure on him to perform. Can't be making that much money and not break 50 points. They'll get it done and we will be pleasantly surprised. 

One of the smartest opinions on BB that I've read in a while.  I agree......it's a tricky time for both BB and the Canucks.  If they offer him a 6-8 year deal that's north of $6M/yr, then I'd be shocked and quite frankly disappointed.  He's good and I like him, but he's not a foundational piece right now in my mind.  If he shows up uber fit and with a lot more speed on the ice in October, I will gladly reverse my opinions.....but until we see this, we can't put all the eggs in his basket.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

One of the smartest opinions on BB that I've read in a while.  I agree......it's a tricky time for both BB and the Canucks.  If they offer him a 6-8 year deal that's north of $6M/yr, then I'd be shocked and quite frankly disappointed.  He's good and I like him, but he's not a foundational piece right now in my mind.  If he shows up uber fit and with a lot more speed on the ice in October, I will gladly reverse my opinions.....but until we see this, we can't put all the eggs in his basket.

Exactly.... The new brass said they want more foot speed. Petey, Miller, and Bo aren't likely going anywhere, so who does that leave? Either make yourself fit in the long term plans or you'll be on the outside looking in. And I like Brock too. I think he could score 40 in this league!!! What happened to him after that 1st season?! He has one of the best seeing eye writers in the league. Why would you not use it...?

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 10:46 PM, iceman64 said:

I'm all for trading Flow but with one stipulation, up to me, trade him to the Wild, where he can be near his dad and we get Dumba in return and his cap is 6 mil. That, or, RHD prospect(s) or picks or mixture of both. Our problem usually isn't a scoring one, it's keeping it out of our own net and not having to have superhuman efforts by goalies every game which eventually fails or wears a goalie tandem down in a long season that can still go a lot further and in the playoffs, the lack of a more rested pair is an obvious dis-advantage. We would always be in the former unless our D gets straightened out with depth for a change.

Losing guys like Tanev, Salo, and Edler for stretches of time lost us a lot of games due to no depth and we need to have that or stay the same, no cup or not even close.. 

Trading Brock to the Wild makes sense due to the Minnesota connection, but as mentioned already, Minny is in a Cap crunch and they won't be able to trade for Brock unless an equal (or more) amount of Salary goes the other way.

For the deal to make any sense to the Canucks, Kevin Fiala would pretty much have to be coming the other way. He's an RFA who made just over 5 million last year, so we'd likely have to be giving him at least 6 million for multiple years to resign him. In addition, we'd probably have to take some extra Cap off Minny's books. Dmitry Kulikov has another year at 2.25 mil, so maybe that gets it done, although I'm betting Guerin would want a bottom six defender thrown in as well.

It's not out of the question, but there would be some work to do....

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Trading Brock to the Wild makes sense due to the Minnesota connection, but as mentioned already, Minny is in a Cap crunch and they won't be able to trade for Brock unless an equal (or more) amount of Salary goes the other way.

For the deal to make any sense to the Canucks, Kevin Fiala would pretty much have to be coming the other way. He's an RFA who made just over 5 million last year, so we'd likely have to be giving him at least 6 million for multiple years to resign him. In addition, we'd probably have to take some extra Cap off Minny's books. Dmitry Kulikov has another year at 2.25 mil, so maybe that gets it done, although I'm betting Guerin would want a bottom six defender thrown in as well.

It's not out of the question, but there would be some work to do....

Marek says the Fiala deal is going to be a whopper with the Wild getting picks and prospects in return and close to no salary back.  Can't see the Canucks involved.   

Guerin couldn't care less about the Minnesota connection - was asked and mocked the idea saying that they want a winning team.  He even complained about players wanting to come to Minnesota for personal reasons over hockey reasons.  

It's hard to see how Boeser would even be successful there given how they are set-up.  They don't have playmaking Cs and with Fiala gone, he would be on a line without play drivers or set-up guys and the line is going to lose considerable speed which he can't compensate for.  Rossi might make the team but he's not particularly fast.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Marek says the Fiala deal is going to be a whopper with the Wild getting picks and prospects in return and close to no salary back.  Can't see the Canucks involved.   

Guerin couldn't care less about the Minnesota connection - was asked and mocked the idea saying that they want a winning team.  He even complained about players wanting to come to Minnesota for personal reasons over hockey reasons.  

It's hard to see how Boeser would even be successful there given how they are set-up.  They don't have playmaking Cs and with Fiala gone, he would be on a line without play drivers or set-up guys and the line is going to lose considerable speed which he can't compensate for.  Rossi might make the team but he's not particularly fast. 

That's an interesting take. If it's true, all I can say is "good luck" to Guerin....

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's an interesting take. If it's true, all I can say is "good luck" to Guerin....

Jersey has apparently enquired about Fiala as has Carolina, New York, Dallas and LA.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Marek on his show talks of teams looking to take the next step - he's 25 and young enough to fit their age group.  Ottawa and NJD are teams with known interest.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Jersey has apparently enquired about Fiala as has Carolina, New York, Dallas and LA.

I think both you and @mll misunderstood my original post. It was in response to another poster who was advocating for a trade to Minny, with Matt Dumba coming back. (something I doubt the Canucks would be interested in)

My response was that I doubt there would be any deal for Brock considered by Canucks' brass, unless Fiala was part of it. If Guerin really has offers of high picks/prospects from teams like NJ, then I don't believe there's anything to discuss with Minnesota.

Hope that clears it up.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I love Brock, he’s a great guy on and off the ice. He’s the type of player that you root for whether he’s on your team or not..

on the business side of things, if there was a way to get into the top 4 picks of this draft and a chance to get Nemec or Jiricek, you have to consider it. If it’s Boeser + 15th then you really think about it. We need to address RHD and Salary Cap. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

I love Brock, he’s a great guy on and off the ice. He’s the type of player that you root for whether he’s on your team or not..

on the business side of things, if there was a way to get into the top 4 picks of this draft and a chance to get Nemec or Jiricek, you have to consider it. If it’s Boeser + 15th then you really think about it. We need to address RHD and Salary Cap. 

Is there even any question we would be happy doing Brock + 15 for a to four pick?  I don’t think Brock, because of his contract and poor play, has that value though.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there even any question we would be happy doing Brock + 15 for a to four pick?  I don’t think Brock, because of his contract and poor play, has that value though.  

Not from me at least. People i talk/read seem to agree that the top end of the draft is more uncertain than ever this year and this is certainly going to be the year of 'how did that guys slip to 1/2/3' kinda deal.   I'm happy enough picking at 15 this year and wouldn't give much up of value to move up, especially someone who on form should be worth a top 10 pick alone. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not from me at least. People i talk/read seem to agree that the top end of the draft is more uncertain than ever this year and this is certainly going to be the year of 'how did that guys slip to 1/2/3' kinda deal.   I'm happy enough picking at 15 this year and wouldn't give much up of value to move up, especially someone who on form should be worth a top 10 pick alone. 

Bess is a great person, but he’s only an okay player.  If we can get a top ten pick for him old Alf will eat old socks.  The really stinky ones too.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No question we would do it. But brock isnt worth a top 10 pick to any team.  Lets get real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

No question we would do it. But brock isnt worth a top 10 pick to any team.  Lets get real. 

If we want to trade Brock for max return it’s best done at the 2023 TDL as a rental.  Retain 50% of his remaining money and we could get a first, especially if he’s scoring.  But right now, with his contract and poor play, he’s worth next to nothing.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we want to trade Brock for max return it’s best done at the 2023 TDL as a rental.  Retain 50% of his remaining money and we could get a first, especially if he’s scoring.  But right now, with his contract and poor play, he’s worth next to nothing.  

If not Brock + 15th, what would you trade to acquire Jiricek? He’s what we need. The consensus is that we want to remain fast, he’s our slowest skater. How do you equate Miller in a trade for #2? Does NJ add Severson? 

Or do we approach the #3 or #4 pick.. ?

4 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

If not Brock + 15th, what would you trade to acquire Jiricek? He’s what we need. The consensus is that we want to remain fast, he’s our slowest skater. How do you equate Miller in a trade for #2? Does NJ add Severson? 

Or do we approach the #3 or #4 pick.. ?

The Devils have to overpay to sign guys to term.  They would love Garland.  Garland + 15 for 2.  Then we get the pick of those D.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why do we want to retain 3.75 mil of his salary?  

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Why do we want to retain 3.75 mil of his salary?  

He could only be traded as a rental at the 2023 TDL with 3.75m retention if he was signed for $7.5m for 1 year (i.e. his QO for 1 season). Retaining 50% of his salary for the rest of the 2022-23 season after the TDL is not a big deal if it brings us a bigger return.

Edited by BigTramFan