The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is one of the very few in the league who can score from distance, when the goalie is set and sees the puck.  He is elite.  I don't see us trading a guy with his unique skills. 

Yeah, he also misses the net alarmingly often and takes a very long time to set up his shots.

Boeser's shot is elite, but it's not all snipes and beautiful shots.....it's a lot of him being checked before he gets the chance to shoot and a lot of pucks going 12 inches wide of the net. He isn't great defensively not doesn't often  kill penalties etc. so unless he scoring regularly he doesn't have a ton of value, certainly at his current production it's not $7m in value. Then there's the games where it looks like he wearing cement skates.

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Boeser is one of the very few in the league who can score from distance, when the goalie is set and sees the puck.  He is elite.  I don't see us trading a guy with his unique skills. 

Id like to see what he can do when we've got a better supporting cast, and Boudreau has had enough time to implement his whole system. 

Seems almost all our players underperformed most of this year, not just Brock. I think its pretty likely he can produce 30+ goals when the whole system is working well. 

Trading Brock this offseason would be a mistake imo. Miller and Garland likely the only two valuable assets we have that we wouldn't be underselling if we traded them. 

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure how this is the case?  Isn’t it 100% of salary unless signed after 2020?

His qualifying offer is 7.5M.  Boeser is grandfathered and not subject to the 120% aav cap as his contract was signed before the CBA MOU came into effect.  

From the CBA MOU:

For SPCs signed after the date of this agreement, if the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of a Player’s Qualifying Offer would otherwise be greater than 120% of the Averaged Amount of the SPC, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will instead be 120% of the Averaged Amount.

For example, if a Player has a 3 year SPC with Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $3.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $9.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.2 million. If, however, such Player’s 3 year SPC had Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $5.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $7.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.0 million.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

His qualifying offer is 7.5M.  Boeser is grandfathered and not subject to the 120% aav cap as his contract was signed before the CBA MOU came into effect.  

From the CBA MOU:

For SPCs signed after the date of this agreement, if the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of a Player’s Qualifying Offer would otherwise be greater than 120% of the Averaged Amount of the SPC, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will instead be 120% of the Averaged Amount.

For example, if a Player has a 3 year SPC with Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $3.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $9.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.2 million. If, however, such Player’s 3 year SPC had Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries of $5.0 million in Year 1, $6.0 million in Year 2, and $7.0 million in Year 3, the minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary portion of the Qualifying Offer will be $7.0 million.

That's what I remembered too.  The rule changed after Boeser was signed.

Seems unlikely but maybe the new management group knows something we don't...?  The notion of Boeser's QO being $7.5M has been talked about since his contract was signed (as far as I can remember).

5 minutes ago, mll said:

From the CBA MOU:

That is my understanding, it doesn't appear to be what Rutherford thinks.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is my understanding, it doesn't appear to be what Rutherford thinks.

Probably didn't pick up that earlier contracts were grandfathered.  Don't think Pittsburgh signed such a backloaded deal.  

On 2/7/2022 at 10:16 AM, Alflives said:

The great shot he had, has for some reason disappeared.  

Don't see boeser signing long term. He will probably take his risk with the 1year QO and see if he can have a bounce back year. As for trading him I dont see the return being big or anything significant. Reason being there's no guarantee he will sign a long term contract and they'll have to be willing to sign him to his QO at 7.5 if he doesn't budge or lose him for nothing. I mean its not that big of a risk for boeser. If you going to offer him 6 mil this year. Chances are he will still have a 6mil next year waiting unless he somehow ends his career with an injury. If he bounces back then he's set for a big payday. Its only a small gamble for him.

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Don't see boeser signing long term. He will probably take his risk with the 1year QO and see if he can have a bounce back year. As for trading him I dont see the return being big or anything significant. Reason being there's no guarantee he will sign a long term contract and they'll have to be willing to sign him to his QO at 7.5 if he doesn't budge or lose him for nothing. I mean its not that big of a risk for boeser. If you going to offer him 6 mil this year. Chances are he will still have a 6mil next year waiting unless he somehow ends his career with an injury. If he bounces back then he's set for a big payday. Its only a small gamble for him.

Arbitration.

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Arbitration.

And then what? Sure ain't hell he's re-signing and walks as a ufa. And depending on what he does next season might not even get much from him on a TDL rental deal.

I rather risk signing him at his QO and hope he bounces back next season and we can re-sign him then take him to abitration and see him bounce back and then walk to ufa. At least if he does well u can prolly re-sign him if he doesn't can still move him at the tdl vs throw him under the bus during arbitration and if he does well chances of re-signing him is prolly none and move him at the TDL for more likely than not draft picks or players that will end up significantly less that what boeser is.

Unless Boeser takes a team friendly deal ($6-6.5M x 6-8yrs), I think JR & co will trade him.  

Just looking at Boeser point production and he’s a 20+g and 55-ish pt winger.  When healthy he could get more points but hasn’t played a full season yet.  On pace for a 50-ish pt season.

Compare that to Garland contact that is just under $5M cap hit.  He’s a 10+g and 40-ish pt winger that is on pace for a 50-ish pt season.

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How many years does Boeser have before UFA status?

Players automatically become UFA when their contract expires if they are 27 years of age or older (as of July 1), or have 7 accrued NHL seasons.

Boeser is in his 6th season (I believe the 1st season was the 9 games played that burned a year off his ELC).

So 1 more year to UFA.

Edit:  I think I’m wrong about the rookie rule of 9 games.  So maybe Boeser only had 5 seasons.  So maybe 2 yrs to UFA???

Edit2:  On puckpedia it’s says Boeser is UFA in 2024.

Edited by BPA

17 minutes ago, BPA said:

Players automatically become UFA when their contract expires if they are 27 years of age or older (as of July 1), or have 7 accrued NHL seasons.

Boeser is in his 6th season (I believe the 1st season was the 9 games played that burned a year off his ELC).

So 1 more year to UFA.

Edit:  I think I’m wrong about the rookie rule of 9 games.  So maybe Boeser only had 5 seasons.  So maybe 2 yrs to UFA???

An accrued NHL season towards UFA status is 40 games.  So he's 2 years away.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

So 1 more year to UFA.

So he'll be a UFA after the 2023-24 season I guess?

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Thanks!!!

So there’s still time to decide on what to do with Boeser.

Yeah, I think Boeser's camp will push for either a 1 year deal, or the big pay day of $7.5M AAV for 7 or 8 years.  I don't see him coming in under $7M based on the options available.  I guess the Canucks could take him to arbitration?  Not sure the rules behind that and timing of it vs the qualifying offer.