The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Mike Babcock in town to meet with Aquilini family...

Rate this topic

N4ZZY

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

So they're going to fire both Benning and Green and also hire a polarizing and domineering coach like Babcock?  They might but they'll have a heck of a time hiring a GM to work with him. 

He's going to want at least 5 x 5 too. That's job security in itself.  Who wants to be paying that out for 4 more years if it doesn't work out. 

The Babs rumour is just that.  FA would have to be mental.

I’m sure lots of GMs would wanna work with one of the winningest coaches in the NHL.

All of that stuff was just blown up by Toronto media because he hurt their stars egos. The analytics nerd Dubas couldn’t handle an experienced coach standing up to him.

I bet we would see a massive difference in the on ice product.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

why would his temperament be a good thing for the team? 

I'm not sure that he would be the right answer, but he speaks his mind and shows more emotion.  TG is a players coach and keeps everything in the room which is the right thing to do most of the time.  But sometimes a coach stepping outside that boundary is not necessarily a bad thing.  Same with a captain for that matter.  You can say things publicly that aren't throwing people under the bus but still light a fire.  

Just to be clear, I'm not so sure about Babs and how he would fit in.  I'd just like to see some emotion from a coach.....just like I enjoyed energy lines over the years (it feels like that's been a long time ago now sadly).

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

You can say things publicly that aren't throwing people under the bus but still light a fire.  

I it's a really fine line to be able to do that. it's hard to say things publicly in front of the media, and not have things be misinterpreted. Could go all sorts of wrong. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

At least we might hit the playoffs.

Boudreau might be a great fit. Proven communicator and system creator based on the personnel he has. Regular season success with some suspect rosters. Probably motivated and eager to exorcise his playoff demons.

Yeah. I wouldn't mind Boudreau, but can he coach a decent defensive system? Because that's kind of what we need. A lot of our young offensive players don't seem to play very good defense. I think Boudreau can probably coach a really good offense from our current roster, and could get some very exciting games. But a great defensive system is what is going to win us when we get to the postseason. 

Then again, I wouldn't mind a great offensive team considering what our team's been producing recently. 

Just getting back to the postseason would be a miracle...

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I wouldn't mind Boudreau, but can he coach a decent defensive system? Because that's kind of what we need. A lot of our young offensive players don't seem to play very good defense. I think Boudreau can probably coach a really good offense from our current roster, and could get some very exciting games. But a great defensive system is what is going to win us when we get to the postseason. 

Then again, I wouldn't mind a great offensive team considering what our team's been producing recently. 

Just getting back to the postseason would be a miracle...

He can coach both. He is very good at building the systems and style of play to suit the roster he has rather than what Green does which is force all players into his system whether it suits the roster or not.

• Cheers 2

Our team is crap both offensively and defensively (other than goaltending). Being really good at one of those would be better and more conducive to winning than sucking at both.

Green is a typical inexperienced, not confident coach that tries to turn all players into everything rather than seeing what they can and can’t do and putting them in the position to succeed.

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

He can coach both. He is very good at building the systems and style of play to suit the roster he has rather than what Green does which is force all players into his system whether it suits the roster or not.

Yeah, I mean, I'm down for a change in the coaching. Green just doesn't seem to get much from the roster right now. If Boudreau can coach a more exciting system from this roster, then I'll all for it. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I it's a really fine line to be able to do that. it's hard to say things publicly in front of the media, and not have things be misinterpreted. Could go all sorts of wrong. 

Agree.  It is an art of leadership for sure.  Naslund and the Sedins did it though.  They just included themselves in with the blame.  

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree.  It is an art of leadership for sure.  Naslund and the Sedins did it though.  They just included themselves in with the blame.  

Näslund and the Sedins were great leaders that this organization had. 

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure lots of GMs would wanna work with one of the winningest coaches in the NHL.

All of that stuff was just blown up by Toronto media because he hurt their stars egos. The analytics nerd Dubas couldn’t handle an experienced coach standing up to him.

I bet we would see a massive difference in the on ice product.

I think so too.  But I think it takes a special kind of GM to work with Babcock.

Then again, maybe that's a good thing