The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Mike Babcock in town to meet with Aquilini family...

Rate this topic

N4ZZY

2 minutes ago, tas said:

boudreau is a guy known for levity. he's likely exactly what this group needs currently. 

he's probably the guy I'd like to coach this current group see if there's anything that changes. If it doesn't, then it's time to ship some players out and re-create a new core. With that being said, I absolutely do not trust Benning and Weisbrod to lead the way. After Green's firing, we need a new GM and AGM, and POHO

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I get the impression that if Babcock walked into the Canucks room, the players would pay attention. He knows what it takes to win (if all of the players buy in).  

How would Petey do with Babcock as a coach? Would he learn and excel like Lidstrom? (fellow Swede)

How would Miller do?  

I think Babcock could command instant respect because he's won at the NHL level. Can't say the same for Green, and it's not like the organization hasn't given him a chance to do that. Five years. 

Hard to say how Petey would perform under Babcock. I wonder if Green is too soft on Pettersson. Anyone think this might be the case? Does Petey need some tough love to get the best out of him? I mean, Green limited his minutes yesterday against Pitts to the point where if I only saw the stats, I'd think Petey was a bottom six player. 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea and lots of them have been fired or had to enter programs (Quennville, Crawford).

That generation of coaches is a hard-knocks kind of generation of coaching. 

But Green's way of coaching isn't working, so something has to change. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

When was the last time there was a GM coach behind the bench?

And not just because the GM took over.

Maybe we should throw it back to those days. :lol:

Could you imagine Benning behind the Canucks bench?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

That generation of coaches is a hard-knocks kind of generation of coaching. 

But Green's way of coaching isn't working, so something has to change. 

I mean you gotta believe Babcock knows how to coach beyond just yelling at and intimidating his players.

Its like Tortorella. Yes he’s a blowhard but he is also a very good coach that understands what it takes to win.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How would you describe Babcock's style of coaching? 

For clarity, I wasn’t referring to systems, I was referring to how he talks/communicates. More blunt and aggressive than a guy like Green. 

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The real question is has he changed his ways?

Yeah, that's something I'd be interested in knowing as well. Has he changed in the way he's coached. 

If he hasn't, then no way. I think if Babcock has changed, he would be an excellent candidate just based off of his NHL resume alone. 

The man has 700 wins in the NHL as a coach split between Detroit and Toronto. A .608 coaching record over all those years between those two clubs. 

Playoff record not so bad either. A .549 winning percentage. .400 with Toronto. But c'mon people. It's &^@#ing Toronto.

• Roger Neilsons Towel changed the title to (Speculation) Mike Babcock in town to meet with Aquilini family...

This team needs a coach who knows how to win at the NHL level, not to mention Olympic Gold medal level too. There were probably over a million dollars worth of empty seats at each game during the last home stand so they can afford to over pay him even if its short term.

Just do it already.