The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

19 hours ago, Dazzle said:

This is pretty questionable. Gillis did care about his players, but he was also gifted a core that were all generally in their prime. Gillis gets way too much credit for adding decent supplementary players. (Which he did)

Gillis also reversed mortgaged on the team, to the point where we had nothing good. Horvat came as a result of trading Schneider, our only true goalie prospect. Hodgson was a high first round pick. He also whiffed badly on every single pick.

Not to mention how he mismanaged the Luongo situation.

I can totally get behind that. I'm just stating that the lack of leadership in this organization is laughable. It lacks any communication. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd definitely prefer to keep Bo, and I agree we should be looking to move Miller. Maybe Miller and Boeser, management would do well to gauge what sort of salary/term expectations Boeser has going forward. 

Centers are trickier to replace than wingers, though I still believe Boeser can bounce back. Replacing coaching and management staff would go a long way towards beginning to piece things out. 

Not sure I'd even want to move Bo in a hockey trade for another center, sometimes you're better off with the devil you know. But it depends on the offer. 

I agree with you on Miller, I'm just not sure where I'd peg his value. I admittedly haven't noticed him as much the last few games. But yeah, we need value for him. If we're going to be regrouping and possibly missing the playoffs next season as well we'll need all the assets we can get to accelerate that process. I expect he'll be moved before the deadline, we've got like.. what.. a 5% chance of making it? When was the last time a team went on a tear of the sort required to get back into it from where we're at? We aren't build like that Blues team, and our coaching staff are worse. We're in an even deeper hole than they were if I remember correctly. 

Season is toast, we should absolutely be looking to the future. 

Yeah. I think Bo will be alright in terms of his game. He'll bounce back, he's starting to come to life the last few games, see where that momentum will take him over the course of the next few. With that being said, I think Green (even with the win tonight) is on thin ice, if not already in the water. He's dead man walking at this point. But he's being a professional about handling a difficult situation, that isn't going to go unnoticed with 31 other teams in the league. He'll get an offer somewhere down the line eventually. I think Green's a good coach, but coaches all have shelf lives. Even if they're good coach, heck, great coaches, they all have their time with an organization. Their voices eventually do go stale, and there needs to be a new voice that comes in. I think Green's voice has gone stale. I also think he needs to take a step away from coaching, and reflect on what he can do to be better, and he will. 

This team right now is made to take the next step. They're not a "young" team anymore, in terms of age, they're basically middle of the pack in the league. They're not super young, but they're not the oldest either. But as each year passes, they're going to no doubt get older. Eventually, the team has to transition to contender status, if not, then some of our core pieces will want to be a part of an organization that is in that window where they're contending. 

Benning judged that our window is essentially now. Is he correct? I don't think he's right. I think we still needed some veteran presence and leadership. It was maybe 1-2 years too early for this core to take on the leadership role(s) that the previous core took on. Petey, Hughes, Bo, Brock, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander, etc., they're all going to learn from this, whether all of those guys will be in the same dressing room together when things start to rise again remains to be seen. I hope so. Garland will be where Miller will be in 2-3 years. 

I can't see new management tearing everything down, simply because I don't think Francesco has that patience. And to be fair the fan base doesn't have patience for that now, because we've just gone through a confusing 8 years of whether this team was competing now or rebuilding or doing a little of going back and forth on both. So no, we don't have the patience to wait for another rebuild. I'm with Bo on that one. I want to see this group of players start to contend, whether 1-2 pieces need to be moved so that the mix of players is better than what's currently there, then so be it. But blowing up the entire core? I don't think we need to do that. 

Getting the right mix is now what is needed. 

And that probably starts with a new coach, a new voice, a new vision and plan. 

Then it's the GM and AGM who needs to go. 

19 hours ago, ZH96 said:

If you want to bridge the gap for a top prospect forward like Rossi. You go and get a steady decent leader forward in Free Agency. Like they would have if that was the case; by signing someone like who Boston signed in Nosek and Haula. Going out and trading a 25 year old former top 15 pick forward with explosive skating ability and loads of creativity  in Fiala, for a 28 year old bonafide 1st line W/C power forward and leader and top 20 in the league point getter?? That is not rebuilding. Everyone tries to bring or keep at least one or two top prospects into their system as best they can no matter if they’re contending or rebuilding. Guerin is still going to keep the media on a leash and try and build that team up quickly. Again no rebuilding team signs that many quality veteran D-men at once. And look at the standings if you don’t believe me; the Wild are 8th in the league and going for it. Are you forgetting even without Rossi, Boldy, Lambos, etc. in the NHL yet that the Wild have Kaprizov, Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon, EriksonEk, Zuccarello, M.Foligno, Hartman, Talbot. Players like Dumba, Zuccarello, M,Foligno, and especially Talbot would have been shipped off for picks and prospects by now if they were really rebuilding. By the way if EriksonEk was just a “checker” than they wouldn’t have given him an 8 year x $5,250,000 contract. He’s paid the same as Miller LOL. And I already said Rask will not be brought back and him along with everyone else i mentioned is still quality playmaking depth up the middle. They claimed Rem Pitlick because everyone know someone would claim him and that Nashville was stupid to waive him. Look at how he’s been flying around even more since joining the Wild; he’s also listed in this order as a C/LW. And like I said he has 9 points in 12 games… Bjugstad was acquired for only a conditional 7th because he was coming off a brutal injury riddled season and like I said Guerins attention to Minnesota born players is obvious. So what Goligoski and him have a connection from Pittsburgh? If it was to do with a Pittsburgh connection that much than Guerin would have nabbed an ex-Penguins. forward and D like Ceci and Sceviour. Frederick Gaudreau is producing because he’s an under the radar late bloomer who’s finally getting a bigger look. He’s a natural center with experience in the Cup Final and in playing a skilled role in all his previous stops before the NHL. Once he got to the NHL he had to play a checking and aggressive style to make the cut but now he’s finding his offensive touch again as well. And as far as what you said about Bjugstad here’s a goal of his from a day ago… and here’s a clip of EriksonEk a little while ago considering you think he’s just a checker…

The mandate is to be among the league's elite for years to come.  Not just a one and done and not a team whose foundation isn't solid that it crumbles down the road. 

Hartman is shooting at 17%.  Foligno at 25%.  Pitlick at 44%.  Even EriksonEk is at 15%.  League average is around 9%.  Those rates are not likely to be sustainable and would be building a team on quicksand.

Part of building that elite contender is having a winning culture - character, never quit, playing the right way and sacrificing for each other is all part of it.  Those veterans are there to foster that culture and some are also expected to be there when they reach that elite contender status.   Talbot was specifically targeted because he can help them win games.  He is a decent goalie but their long term bet is on Wallstedt who they just took in the 1st round. 

Armstrong (St Louis) and MacLellan (Washington) were asked the 5 key reasons that allowed their team to finally win a Cup.  They each cited playoff experience explaining that their team had to go through the heartbreak of losing to understand how hard it is to get to the very end and deal with the pressure.  

Laviolette when Nashville was contending explained that the hardest part is the emotional roller coaster.  Players need to experience the playoffs to learn how to stay even keeled in such a pressured environment.  Scheifele talked about that too - how you have to live it to understand the emotions of the playoffs.

The Wild want to gain that playoff experience.  Over the next few years their roster should continue to strengthen and grow towards an elite contender as they add prospects developed properly by them to an already winning culture.  

Armstrong/MacLellan also both cited strength down the middle as an imperative.  That's currently a major weakness on the Wild.

Hartman is currently playing C1 to Kaprizov.  He was a 4th line winger till last season where they converted him to C.  Look at the C1s of the top contenders.  Gaudreau who was at 28 signed with only 103 regular NHL games and 18pts has mostly been C to Fiala.  Fiala and Kaprizov are offensive players and don't have quality Cs to play with them.  EriksonEk is a remarkable matchup C and will be a Selke contender but where he excels is on a matchup line with grinders Foligno and Greenway.

--

Guerin needed a D to replace Suter.  A top-4 D on a short term deal isn't an easy piece to find in free agency.  He knew Goligoski from his time in Pittsburgh and saw him as a good fit so he signed him.  He just happened to also be from Minnesota.  

Fiala is possibly available because as good as he is offensively he is a high risk player.  His turnovers and carelessness with the puck have been driving them crazy.  Evason has never been shy to criticise his game to media.  Even prior GM Fenton who traded for him says he is a game breaker and they hope it will be more in their favour than not.  Fiala was also looking for a long term deal in the 7M or so and they weren't willing to give it to him just yet.  Guerin openly talked about how he can do things that few players can but there are aspects of his game that he needs to clean up if he wants to be among the league's best.

1 hour ago, mll said:

The mandate is to be among the league's elite for years to come.  Not just a one and done and not a team whose foundation isn't solid that it crumbles down the road. 

Hartman is shooting at 17%.  Foligno at 25%.  Pitlick at 44%.  Even EriksonEk is at 15%.  League average is around 9%.  Those rates are not likely to be sustainable and would be building a team on quicksand.

Part of building that elite contender is having a winning culture - character, never quit, playing the right way and sacrificing for each other is all part of it.  Those veterans are there to foster that culture and some are also expected to be there when they reach that elite contender status.   Talbot was specifically targeted because he can help them win games.  He is a decent goalie but their long term bet is on Wallstedt who they just took in the 1st round. 

Armstrong (St Louis) and MacLellan (Washington) were asked the 5 key reasons that allowed their team to finally win a Cup.  They each cited playoff experience explaining that their team had to go through the heartbreak of losing to understand how hard it is to get to the very end and deal with the pressure.  

Laviolette when Nashville was contending explained that the hardest part is the emotional roller coaster.  Players need to experience the playoffs to learn how to stay even keeled in such a pressured environment.  Scheifele talked about that too - how you have to live it to understand the emotions of the playoffs.

The Wild want to gain that playoff experience.  Over the next few years their roster should continue to strengthen and grow towards an elite contender as they add prospects developed properly by them to an already winning culture.  

Armstrong/MacLellan also both cited strength down the middle as an imperative.  That's currently a major weakness on the Wild.

Hartman is currently playing C1 to Kaprizov.  He was a 4th line winger till last season where they converted him to C.  Look at the C1s of the top contenders.  Gaudreau who was at 28 signed with only 103 regular NHL games and 18pts has mostly been C to Fiala.  Fiala and Kaprizov are offensive players and don't have quality Cs to play with them.  EriksonEk is a remarkable matchup C and will be a Selke contender but where he excels is on a matchup line with grinders Foligno and Greenway.

--

Guerin needed a D to replace Suter.  A top-4 D on a short term deal isn't an easy piece to find in free agency.  He knew Goligoski from his time in Pittsburgh and saw him as a good fit so he signed him.  He just happened to also be from Minnesota.  

Fiala is possibly available because as good as he is offensively he is a high risk player.  His turnovers and carelessness with the puck have been driving them crazy.  Evason has never been shy to criticise his game to media.  Even prior GM Fenton who traded for him says he is a game breaker and they hope it will be more in their favour than not.  Fiala was also looking for a long term deal in the 7M or so and they weren't willing to give it to him just yet.  Guerin openly talked about how he can do things that few players can but there are aspects of his game that he needs to clean up if he wants to be among the league's best.

How are the five players you listed shooting percentages not sustainable? They’re all under 30 and players who have gotten better and shot the puck more as time has gone on. Every teams mandate is to be a contender for a long time. That doesn’t change the fact of what the Wild want to do right now. They’ve been a second round exit team for years. Guerin has come in to bring them over that hump to a cup contender while also keeping the future bright. Guerin comes from a hockey minds setting in Pittsburgh where the mandate is WIN. WIN. WIN. If they wanted a flat out rebuilding setting than they would have chosen someone else. Guerin doesn’t have much experience at all in playing developer or draft guru. And they needed to replace Suter and signed Goligoski yes you’ve mentioned that three times now. They still went out and additionally signed Kulikov, Merrill, Jo.Benn, Hicketts, and Mermis. On top of like I said the Bjugstad Trade, Re.Pitlick claim, and F.Gaudreau signing. Jesper Wallstedt has a lot to prove and goaltenders usually get the leeway of taking the longest to develop even until upwards of 25 to 27 years old. By that fact he’s likely 7 to 9 years away from being a threat to steal games for them on a Stanley Cup run. Cam Talbot was kept because he’s played like arguably the best goaltender in the playoffs for them the last two years and has taken his consistency to a new level in the Wild organization. EriksonEk is their 1C and Hartman is only playing there right now with Kaprizov because he has the grit to balance that line and he’s on hot streak with 4 goals in his last 5 games and 16 points in 21 games while also as a bonus bringing his usual aggravating two-way versatility. Again J.EriksonEk, R.Hartman, V.Rask, F.Gaudreau as the down the middle depth is fine. Not to mention Bjugstad is a natural center who can slot there as is N.Sturm and Re.Pitlick. Even Zuccarello with his plethora of experience can play the middle. As for Kevin Fiala you said the same thing I did about his game but he’s also on the Trade block why? Because he’s their best forward Trade chip outside of Kaprizov to land them an all around veteran impact player that can what? Push them over the playoff hump for a cup run. Again why would a team looking to focus on rebuilding only; that may also need a center… go out and trade a 25 year old forward with that type of talent, for a high-end forward like Miller that will make you a playoff threat. Again if they wanted some center help to keep their young players competing for the mean time. They would have just signed one of Haula, Nosek, Kuraly, Glendening, Bellemare, D.Ryan, Kampf, or just simply re-signed Bonino.

Edited by ZH96

6 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

How are the five players you listed shooting percentages not sustainable? They’re all under 30 and players who have gotten better and shot the puck more as time has gone on. Every teams mandate is to be a contender for a long time. That doesn’t change the fact of what the Wild want to do right now. They’ve been a second round exit team for years. Guerin has come in to bring them over that hump to a cup contender while also keeping the future bright. Guerin comes from a hockey minds setting in Pittsburgh where the mandate is WIN. WIN. WIN. If they wanted a flat out rebuilding coach than they would have chosen someone else. Guerin doesn’t have much experience at all in playing developer or draft guru. And they needed to replace Suter and signed Goligoski yes you’ve mentioned that three times now. They still went out and additionally signed Kulikov, Merrill, Jo.Benn, Hicketts, and Mermis. On top of like I said the Bjugstad Trade, Re.Pitlick claim, and F.Gaudreau signing. Jesper Wallstedt has a lot to prove and goaltenders usually get the leeway of taking the longest to develop even until upwards of 25 to 27 years old. By that fact he’s likely 7 to 9 years away from being a threat to steal games for them on a Stanley Cup run. Cam Talbot was kept because he’s played like arguably the best goaltender in the playoffs for them the last two years and has taken his consistency to a new level in the Wild organization. EriksonEk is their 1C and Hartman is only playing there right now with Kaprizov because he has the grit to balance that line and he’s on hot streak with 4 goals in his last 5 games and 16 points in 21 games while also as a bonus bringing his usual aggravating two-way versatility. Again J.EriksonEk, R.Hartman, V.Rask, F.Gaudreau as the down the middle depth is fine. Not to mention Bjugstad is a natural center who can slot there as is N.Sturm and Re.Pitlick. Even Zuccarello with his plethora of experience can play the middle. As for Kevin Fiala you said the same thing I did about his game but he’s also on the Trade block why? Because he’s their best forward Trade chip outside of Kaprizov to land them an all around veteran impact player that can what? Push them over the playoff hump for a cup run. Again why would a team looking to focus on rebuilding only; that may also need a center… go out and trade a 25 year old forward with that type of talent, for a high-end forward like Miller that will make you a playoff threat. Again if they wanted some center help to keep their young players competing for the mean time. They would have just signed one of Haula, Nosek, Kuraly, Glendening, Bellemare, D.Ryan, Kampf, or just simply re-signed Bonino.

A paragraph is a self-contained unit of discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. A paragraph consists of one or more sentences. Though not required by the syntax of any language, paragraphs are usually an expected part of formal writing, used to organize longer prose.

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

A paragraph is a self-contained unit of discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. A paragraph consists of one or more sentences. Though not required by the syntax of any language, paragraphs are usually an expected part of formal writing, used to organize longer prose.

The guy I’m talking to is not writing single paragraphs either pal. Get with the program.
I think your paragraph is a little short to be a true paragraph. But thanks for saying something irrelevant and copying->pasting a Google definition. Didn’t know this was Grade 10 English class

Edited by ZH96

1 minute ago, ZH96 said:

The guy I’m talking to is not writing single paragraphs either pal. Get with the program.
I think your paragraph is a little short to be a true paragraph. But thanks for saying something irrelevant and copying->pasting a Google definition. Didn’t know this was Grade 10 English class

Welp, get your paragraphs straight. 

26 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

How are the five players you listed shooting percentages not sustainable?

What was Mike Bossy's career shot percentage?

If the 5 players mentioned have a higher percentage than Mike's then I'd say they are over performing and will revert to a more normal rate.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

What was Mike Bossy's career shot percentage?

If the 5 players mentioned have a higher percentage than Mike's then I'd say they are over performing and will revert to a more normal rate.

What does Mike Bossy… a shoot-first sniper from the NHL era of 24 years ago.
Have to do with

Joel EriksonEk, Ryan Hartman,

Marcus Foligno, and Rem Pitlick??? Players in 2021 who all play a completely different style than Bossy. They’re not overperforming and try using example from todays NHL please.

8 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

What does Mike Bossy… a shoot-first sniper from the NHL era of 24 years ago.
Have to do with

Joel EriksonEk, Ryan Hartman,

Marcus Foligno, and Rem Pitlick??? Players in 2021 who all play a completely different style than Bossy. They’re not overperforming and try using example from todays NHL please.

You were talking about shooting %, not the type of player but:

Fine- what is Ovie's shooting percentage compared to the 5 you are talking about?

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Fine- what is Ovie's shooting percentage compared to the 5 you are talking about?

I never used shooting % as an example. @mllwas the one who brought up their shooting%. None of the players I listed are overperforming. They’re respectively finding a new level in their game, rounding out their game, and hitting growth in their development. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I think Bo will be alright in terms of his game. He'll bounce back, he's starting to come to life the last few games, see where that momentum will take him over the course of the next few. With that being said, I think Green (even with the win tonight) is on thin ice, if not already in the water. He's dead man walking at this point. But he's being a professional about handling a difficult situation, that isn't going to go unnoticed with 31 other teams in the league. He'll get an offer somewhere down the line eventually. I think Green's a good coach, but coaches all have shelf lives. Even if they're good coach, heck, great coaches, they all have their time with an organization. Their voices eventually do go stale, and there needs to be a new voice that comes in. I think Green's voice has gone stale. I also think he needs to take a step away from coaching, and reflect on what he can do to be better, and he will. 

This team right now is made to take the next step. They're not a "young" team anymore, in terms of age, they're basically middle of the pack in the league. They're not super young, but they're not the oldest either. But as each year passes, they're going to no doubt get older. Eventually, the team has to transition to contender status, if not, then some of our core pieces will want to be a part of an organization that is in that window where they're contending. 

Benning judged that our window is essentially now. Is he correct? I don't think he's right. I think we still needed some veteran presence and leadership. It was maybe 1-2 years too early for this core to take on the leadership role(s) that the previous core took on. Petey, Hughes, Bo, Brock, Garland, Podkolzin, Höglander, etc., they're all going to learn from this, whether all of those guys will be in the same dressing room together when things start to rise again remains to be seen. I hope so. Garland will be where Miller will be in 2-3 years. 

I can't see new management tearing everything down, simply because I don't think Francesco has that patience. And to be fair the fan base doesn't have patience for that now, because we've just gone through a confusing 8 years of whether this team was competing now or rebuilding or doing a little of going back and forth on both. So no, we don't have the patience to wait for another rebuild. I'm with Bo on that one. I want to see this group of players start to contend, whether 1-2 pieces need to be moved so that the mix of players is better than what's currently there, then so be it. But blowing up the entire core? I don't think we need to do that. 

Getting the right mix is now what is needed. 

And that probably starts with a new coach, a new voice, a new vision and plan. 

Then it's the GM and AGM who needs to go. 

I'm not sure I believe the mythology that Green is somehow a good coach, because I haven't seen it. All the pro success he's ever had has been on the backs of goaltenders playing out of their mind. Markstrom carried Utica to the final, Markstrom was arguably the biggest reason we made the playoffs a couple years back alongside Hughes. Without Demko playing spectacular hockey our record would look even worse this year. When the goaltending isn't spectacular Green coached teams don't seem to win all that often. Props to him remaining professional in a tough situation, but I absolutely question his coaching chops. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another chance somewhere else at some point, but this league loves to recycle coaches. 

Yup, we're not up and comers anymore. The buzz that was there when the expectations weren't as intense has dissipated. Our best players are either in their prime or approaching it. 

I was actually okay with Benning's moves this summer, I lay it more at the feet of the coaching staff. Could we have approached things better and looked to beef up our PK more? Absolutely, but they figured we'd have Sutter and Motte to start. But yeah, we never replaced Beagle. Or even Edler, him and OEL aren't the same kind of player. 

I don't think we'll see a teardown, but I could see a core piece or two being moved. Probably Miller, possibly Boeser. But I agree, I think it'll need to be done under new management. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure I believe the mythology that Green is somehow a good coach, because I haven't seen it. All the pro success he's ever had has been on the backs of goaltenders playing out of their mind. Markstrom carried Utica to the final, Markstrom was arguably the biggest reason we made the playoffs a couple years back alongside Hughes. Without Demko playing spectacular hockey our record would look even worse this year. When the goaltending isn't spectacular Green coached teams don't seem to win all that often. Props to him remaining professional in a tough situation, but I absolutely question his coaching chops. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another chance somewhere else at some point, but this league loves to recycle coaches. 

Yup, we're not up and comers anymore. The buzz that was there when the expectations weren't as intense has dissipated. Our best players are either in their prime or approaching it. 

I was actually okay with Benning's moves this summer, I lay it more at the feet of the coaching staff. Could we have approached things better and looked to beef up our PK more? Absolutely, but they figured we'd have Sutter and Motte to start. But yeah, we never replaced Beagle. Or even Edler, him and OEL aren't the same kind of player. 

I don't think we'll see a teardown, but I could see a core piece or two being moved. Probably Miller, possibly Boeser. But I agree, I think it'll need to be done under new management. 

Personally, I like the players we have. I think they would do well with different couching. Never thought Green was all that good either. Way to predictable and not willing to change at all.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Personally, I like the players we have. I think they would do well with different couching. Never thought Green was all that good either. Way to predictable and not willing to change at all.

He had the year in Portland, but that wasn't professional hockey. Could he be a good coach at a lower level? I don't see why not. But I don't view him as an effective NHL coach. 

If ownership has any sense they'll bring in new management before they allow any significant trades to be made. Because yeah, I figure a better coaching staff would get more out of this group. 

55 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

If we are going back into rebuild, Horvat could fetch a kings ransom at the deadline. A top pick and a top 4 defenseman and a top tier prospect. Then again, it would be very unlikely Horvat gets traded. The guy is a two way stud.

I'm unsure why people think this is going to happen

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

The highest shooting percentage since 2019/20 up to now (min 50 games) is Draisaitl at 20.6%.  There are only 19 players that are at 17% or more over that span.  The median is 9.1%.

So far this season Pitlick is at 44%, Foligno at 25% and Hartman at 17% - not rates that are sustainable.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

The highest shooting percentage since 2019/20 up to now (min 50 games) is Draisaitl at 20.6%.  There are only 19 players that are at 17% or more over that span.  The median is 9.1%.

So far this season Pitlick is at 44%, Foligno at 25% and Hartman at 17% - not rates that are sustainable.  

Thanks, that is why I mentioned Bossy, arguably the best goal scorer of all time, who had a career shooting % of 21.2% and added a current player in Ovie who is 12.9% for his career.

Seems obvious, to most of us , that Pitlick, Foligno and Hartman are not even close to being the sniper that Bossy was, or Ovie and Draisaitl  currently are.

To most of us anyway.