The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Just now, jyu said:

Why not Barzal?

I would trade Bo for Barzal. Petey-Barzal for the next 10 years sounds like a good idea?

Barzal is terrible without the puck on his stick.  He's a lot like Garland.  We need an actual defensive minded center.  Petey is great, of course.  But Barzal ain't helping in the D side of the game.  I know CDC would be all happy if Barzal came for Bo, and our owner would sell more tickets.  But I want us to be a winning team.  Much rather keep Bo and pay him Barzal money. 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There is zero chance our owner will allow a trade for futures.  JR would need to show that the futures coming back for Bo would be quickly flipped for established players to help the club "win now".  

I could definitely see Lou Lam in on Bo.  And he'd dangle Barzal.  I wouldn't want to trade Bo for that guy, but Lou would. 

Lamoriello just extended Barzal to a 9.15M x 8 year contract - can't imagine he would trade him before his new deal has even started.  

Edited by mll

8 minutes ago, jyu said:

Why not Barzal?

I would trade Bo for Barzal. Petey-Barzal for the next 10 years sounds like a good idea?

I would go for Barzal, just have to make sure the defensive side is also covered. Have not given up on re-signing Bo yet, have to see how this plays out.

Just now, mll said:

Lamoriello just extended Barzal to a 9.15M x 8 year contract - can't imagine he would trade him before his new deal has even started.  

And the contract Barzal gets, combined with his lack of production and poor play away from the puck is exactly why Lou Lam would love to dumperoo him on us, and get Bo back.  Bo is the far better player and a big body.  He's a Lou Lam kind of player.  Just say no to Barzal.  We already have Garland. 

5 minutes ago, mll said:

They would likely not do it without asking Barzal, who is a BC boy, so who knows, he'd be coming home.

Edited by aliboy
  • There it is 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And the contract Barzal gets, combined with his lack of production and poor play away from the puck is exactly why Lou Lam would love to dumperoo him on us, and get Bo back.  Bo is the far better player and a big body.  He's a Lou Lam kind of player.  Just say no to Barzal.  We already have Garland. 

Playoff teams typically trade futures for rentals - they don't often remove from their roster.  

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm already not watching as many games. This middling, non winning hockey, low effort garbage is unwatchable most nights against anything but bottom feeders.

I'd actually watch more if there was a plan in place and we had exciting young kids I can watch develop (like we did with Hughes and Pettersson). Even more so if there's something resembling actual effort out there for anything near 60 minutes from more than a few guys.

I hear ya…. But I am also not sure that necessarily always translates in a linear fashion. 

7 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

with all the years we've missed the playoffs wth the exception of that bubble run (which btw didn't even add in terms of team revenue), you'd think we might as well rebuild because at least the fan base would 1. have a clear message from the organization and 2. actual hope for a more bright future eventually. 

This whole-wishy washy schtick has gone on for near a decade and we sucked for most of it. We still went to games, paid for tickets and watched. 

If we as fans wouldn't realize the level of commitment it takes from an ownership group then how much longer would we need to wait? Forever? 

Look at the rangers who sent a message to their fanbase about some years back for example. Profit-wise they're more valuable than the Canucks (1/2 in the league) and in competition with other NYC sports teams like the Yankees, Knicks, Nets, Giants, Jets....etc. 

What else do we have in Vancouver? The lions and the whitecaps?

You'd think Rangers owners would be more hesitant to even think about publicizing a "rebuild letter" to their fanbase, saying that it would take time for this process to be done and to be patient in an already heavily congested sports market.

I understand what you're saying and of course there is the reality of the whole business/revenues.

However there is a lack of trust in the Aqulinis and their pathetic way of handling this near decade saga.

Largely, you’re preaching to the choir, I’m just saying I don’t think it’s always as easy as a decision as some in our fan base make it out to be. 

We should have pulled the trigger in 2012 but that’s distant history now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aliboy said:

They would likely not do it without asking Barzal, who is a BC boy, so who knows, he'd be coming home.

Why would NYI give up their recently extended C1 for a rental.   Management doesn't want to give teams permission to talk to his camp about an extension per Drance/Dhaliwal.  

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

Largely, you’re preaching to the choir, I’m just saying I don’t think it’s always as easy as a decision as some in our fan base make it out to be. 

We should have pulled the trigger in 2012 but that’s distant history now. 

Aquilini keeps firing management that doesn't continue to agree with (and follow) his direction. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Why would NYI give up their recently extended C1 for a rental.   Management doesn't want to give teams permission to talk to his camp about an extension per Drance/Dhaliwal.  

They would obviously have to make an exception if they wanted to make that kind of a trade, it would be simple choice. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Because Barzal is not a number one center on a winning team.  And Lou Lam understands that.  Bo is exactly the kind of center Lou Lam would want.  And our owner would love a local boy (Barzal) who is a shiny bauble.  Would be a terrible move for our club.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because Barzal is not a number one center on a winning team.  And Lou Lam understands that.  Bo is exactly the kind of center Lou Lam would want.  And our owner would love a local boy (Barzal) who is a shiny bauble.  Would be a terrible move for our club.  

Lamoriello just extended Barzal this October to an 8 year deal - 73.2M.  Clearly he thinks he is going to play an important role for their team.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if there's a deal to be made with BUF (Horvat). They have quite a few good young players/prospects, and lots of cap space. Maybe they'd like to take the next step and start becoming relevant again. 

Buffalo is the highest scoring team in the league - they don't really need another goal scorer.  They also already have Tage Thompson and Cozens as their top-6 Cs. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

49 minutes ago, mll said:

I think Lou wants to get Barzal a good center to play with, cause he’s absolutely garbage at draws…31 % this year and is very rarely used in face offs. Not reliable. He is absolute gold as a scoring forward. He plays center but needs a guy to take face offs for him. Would be interesting to see what Lou would pay for Horvats services.

• There it is 1