The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks have been outplaying their opponents since the Colorado game..........can they turn it around?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

1 hour ago, combover said:

Goaltending is the reason we weren’t blown out in most games this season right down to the mtl game last night. that’s not playing good. 
we put played because we got low quality shots. 
we have had decent possession number but the pk and pp are part of the game a we are terrible. 
the dzone is a disaster is has been for 6/7 years.

It’s like greens hypothetical “we win that game 8,9/10 “ 

well actually it looks more like 2/10. Ten games later. 

No it’s not.  Demko is a great goalie, but his save % isn’t great right now.  He plays equal to other teams’ goalies, which is good.  We are losing these close games for two reasons.  Our specialty teams (PK and PP) have struggled, and Petey and Bess aren’t scoring like they can.  If Demko plays like he has (which is fine) our PK and PP get back to league average, and Petey and Bess heat up we will win a lot.  

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

If we could just have average special teams, We would be a 7/8 team. Probably lose 1st round due to how soft we are but we also have alot of proven playoff performers.
Really really need new front office and bench asap. All experienced well respected vets. Pay the big bucks. Winners need winning leadership. Not cheap AHL guys trying to learn the league themselves

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Beefcake said:

I don't know about outplaying their opponents, i kind of wonder where the Canucks would be without above average Goaltending from Demko

Demko’s save % is actually a bit below league average.  Yes, he’s a great young goalie, who makes some fabulous saves, but his play isn’t why we win or lose.  It’s been our PK, PP, and Petey and Bess that have cost us wins.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

If we could just have average special teams, We would be a 7/8 team. Probably lose 1st round due to how soft we are but we also have alot of proven playoff performers.
Really really need new front office and bench asap. All experienced well respected vets. Pay the big bucks. Winners need winning leadership. Not cheap AHL guys trying to learn the league themselves

Exactly. and the clearest argument for a coaching change.

The suggestions here as to what to do when Petey's shooting lane is blocked are better than what the actual coaches have offered up.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly. and the clearest argument for a coaching change.

The suggestions here as to what to do when Petey's shooting lane is blocked are better than what the actual coaches have offered up.

Head coach or special teams’ coaches?  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No it’s not.  Demko is a great goalie, but his save % isn’t great right now.  He plays equal to other teams’ goalies, which is good.  We are losing these close games for two reasons.  Our specialty teams (PK and PP) have struggled, and Petey and Bess aren’t scoring like they can.  If Demko plays like he has (which is fine) our PK and PP get back to league average, and Petey and Bess heat up we will win a lot.  

Lol he’s getting pumped with high quality chances if he plays even average we lose. 
While we pumping other teams with low quality chances. 

even in mtl he had to stop way to many. 

save % only tells a very small story kinda like +/-

like it leaves out hes faced more shots than any other goaltender in the league

he’s #2 in TOI

and even that doesn’t stay the quality of chances. 

Like saying OEL hasn’t been good he’s only got 4 points and is even 

Doesn’t really tell you the real picture. 

And we won’t win our d coverage is trash.  teams defend more once they take the lead which gives the illusion that we’re in games

when we take the lead which is rare our d gets destroyed with high end chances odd man rushes. 

petey and brock scoring would help but we aren’t a team that’ll out score our mistakes. 

We haven’t out played many teams but we have spent almost every game chasing them. 

Edited by combover
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s the anti-Benning crews’ favorite weapon.  “We only stay in games because of Demko, Markstrom, and Judd Brackett.”

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, Beefcake said:

I don't know about outplaying their opponents, i kind of wonder where the Canucks would be without above average Goaltending from Demko

Hopefully, you also wonder where the Oilers would be without McDavid or where the Leafs would be without Matthews.

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Try and be positive.  On average, the Canucks make the cup every 14 years [(12+12+17)/3]

I’m not sure how old you are but I’ll be 41 in January and so I’m expecting somewhere between 2-3 cup runs before my time is up.  None of us know how these things will work out.  I’ve already seen my other teams win (BC Lions, Seattle Seahawks, Toronto Blue Jays, Miami Heat), and so the Canucks is all that’s left for me.   If it happens, great.  If not, I have plenty of other things to be grateful for.  Some guys in third world countries have to drink sulfuric water and eat dog sh1t for breakfast every day just so that they can live and dream for the next day and so I consider all of us here in Canada to be extremely fortunate.

Woah that was deep… thanks for the reality check…  but I'm well aware how the world works and how a majority of the world lives. 

I don’t come here to talk about life and all it’s perks and or downfalls. I come to talk hockey. The Canucks are my team win or loose and right now they suck so I’m upset about it and going to bitch about it.

Sometimes it’s nice to escape reality and enjoy a little break and thats what hockey is for me. Whether playing or watching. Ive been around long enough to cheer for the Canucks in 2 scf’s and and don’t want to go through the heartbreak again of loosing in the finals. I have friends who have been fans since the 82 finals (I was alive but wasn’t old enough like you) and before, and they are tired of the mediocrity as well. 

Benning has proven he can’t put together a team. I want him gone. Green is sarcastic and annoying and makes brain dead decisions. I want him gone.

It seems the only way to win a cup is to tank and get top picks like the majority of cup winners over the last few years.

Is it so bad I'm tired of cheering for a NHL team that drinks sulfuric water and eats dog $&!# to survive?

10 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'm not making any excuses, I'm am suggesting that an immediate coaching change could very easily change some of these L's to OTL's or W's.  Our roster is not as bad as our record indicates.  

An immediate coaching change doesn’t change our teams skill level… go back and look at the season without confirmation bias

9 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

EP should learn to make that shot harder - Al Macinnis hard and let's see if anyone wants to block that shot.  Always, wondered how Ovechkin & Stamkos, continues to score in the same spot: perhaps the shot ?

Perhaps not having noodle arms and a noodle of a hockey stick? :bigblush:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

Do we really see this team going on a 14-7 streak just to get back to even?

I want to see how the team plays tomorrow. Stranger things have happened. If they go on a run like that, would be good for the boys and that locker room. It also means that Benning and Green are safe. 

Do we really want that? 

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I want to see how the team plays tomorrow. Stranger things have happened. If they go on a run like that, would be good for the boys and that locker room. It also means that Benning and Green are safe. 

Do we really want that? 

Tomorrow Nucks play the last place team in the league, lets wait till the game after that and see what this team is capable of shall we ;)

10 hours ago, khay said:

Outplayed?

Shots on net, yes.

Dangerous chances, not so much. 

Having said that, yes, I think they can turn it around as they build better chemistry but the roster needs upgrade, which is going to be hard to pull off in the middle of the season. 

Hog-Miler-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

x1-EP-Podkolzin

Motte-Dickinson-x2

OEL-Myers

Hughes-Schenn/Hamonic

x3-Poolman

Replace x1, x2, and x3 with someone better than Dowling, Chiasson, and new Burr and we might turn it around.

But how? Without subtracting a significant piece from the current lineup? 

Maybe load up on the third line with Motte moving up and promote Lockwood or get a physical presence for a 4th line right wing spot? 4th line won't get many minutes but they would certainly bring energy to the game.

Address x3 by trading Rathbone and a pick for say Ben Chiarot in Montreal? I don't know how the cap would work out though.

If you are going to trade, I believe it has to BB as we are headed for cap trouble and trading BB would be getting ahead of it as well as this position is our strongest