The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Bouds Boudreau honeymoon lasts for how long? I love his openness and willingness to talk hockey. He has been hired 3x and fired 3X before. I doubt there is much he hasn’t seen in the game. His statement that his decisions are always based on what is best for the team stays with me. Look at how he spread the TOI out last night. Pretty damn even as any team building towards contention should be. Uneven ice time tells players how maybe their efforts aren’t valued. The only player with extended ice was Hughes. The only 2 players on the team that are playing like top ranked players are Hughes and Demko. 

A lot of solid performances last night. I thought Dickenson had one of his best games as a Canuck. Releasing the hounds to chase the puck to an extent worked. LA was kinda of listless so I don’t build to much into the win. Just a much better effort which has been building for 3 weeks now. 

I believe he has a habit of running this top players a lot.  I like the spread out TOI among the roster, but I think that was because he was still learning their names.  (during the press report afterwards he couldn't even remember one of the goal scorers names) This first 7-10 days is an evaluation of who he has so I expect him to roll 4 lines a fair amount. Then he will start to focus the playing time more onto the players he likes and trusts. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gatzkek said:

I think he knows hockey and what we need. If he GMs like he played, I'm for it. But maybe I'm wrong. Is there something besides his eloquence that makes him "not the guy".

I just don't think he's the guy he was on the ice. Listening to him in the interview, I couldn't decide if he's in his 80s yet or not.  Very slow spoken and without a vision.  He spoke about how he thought it was time to move on based on what he was hearing from the fans but he didn't state what was wrong with the team construct or management. 

He's dutifully buying the owner time to find the right GM, so I applaud him for that.  Tough to take the team on with a row of empty offices.  But, it's pretty clear from hearing him talk that he won't be the long-term guy.  

31 minutes ago, mll said:

Thanks - think I found it.  Did a search on twitter using "canucks puck possession" and someone posted a Sportsnet screen grab that shows them 2nd in o-zone puck possession time but with 5.4 shots from the inner slot per game while the other 4 teams ranked are between 7.1 and 8.4 (EDM, TOR, MIN, COL).  Not sure if 5v5 or all situations.  

Thanks,  so maybe not quite what I first thought re 5on5.

Though even the o-zone time stat caught me by surprise. 

9 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

On a game related positive note......

God damn I love Boudreau!      

That's a world class kick ass coach right there.   

I personally would have gone with Claude Julien but I'm really glad that we didn't.

Yup, I was even open to guys like Babcock but so glad we went with a players coach.

Not only do we need an experienced, knowledagble coach, the guys are fragile right now and need a guy who is willing to be in their corner and build them back up. 

The fist bumps down the hall after the game by Boudreau is just what this team needs. 

A coach who is one of the guys. 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

While I could take it or leave it…. It does give you a pretty quick indication of who came to camp in shape. So that could be two things….. 

It actually has no real usefulness as an indicator of physical fitness. Teams pay hundreds of thousands of dollars on actual fitness testing. All Green has to do is look at the reports.

Are you suggesting that Garland was in bad physical shape coming into camp? He puked ffs. And has shown he has the biggest never quit motor on the entire team.

Bag skates aren’t about fitness, they are about asserting control. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

seems to me it was more of an attempt at a team building exercise. 

Doing the Grouse Grind would work just as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

It actually has no real usefulness as an indicator of physical fitness. Teams pay hundreds of thousands of dollars on actual fitness testing. All Green has to do is look at the reports.

Are you suggesting that Garland was in bad physical shape coming into camp? He puked ffs. And has shown he has the biggest never quit motor on the entire team.

I can almost agree with you. But trying to

assume what’s going on in someone else’s head is a dangerous game. The previous coaching staff may have seen different uses for it. Maybe they viewed it as tradition and something to put the team together in a forced bonding scenario. You and I would both agree from the sounds of it that such a view would be correct or overly useful, but it would be an example of a motive that wasn’t born out of asserting control. 

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I can almost agree with you. But trying to

assume what’s going on in someone else’s head is a dangerous game. The previous coaching staff may have seen different uses for it. Maybe they viewed it as tradition and something to put the team together in a forced bonding scenario. You and I would both agree from the sounds of it that such a view would be correct or overly useful, but it would be an example of a motive that wasn’t born out of asserting control. 

Maybe. I am one of those coaches who don’t think bag skates are ever a morale building exercise.

Who knows with that clown.

Insecure coaches use bag skates. Confident coaches use communication.

well, its in the Canucks lore category now.

Still a bit shocked at the red wedding move by Aqua but man what a nice change. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s a punishment. Nothing more. Never seen a team come together as a group because they got bag skates.

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what was Green punishing them for? coming to camp?

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Who knows with that clown.

Insecure coaches use bag skates. Confident coaches use communication.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe. I am one of those coaches who don’t think bag skates are ever a morale building exercise.

@JM_ we would probably both do best to recognize @wallstreetamigo’s superior intuition and intricate knowledge of the human  psyche. It is very clear that, and I can’t believe we missed this, any action that does not align with those that @wallstreetamigoholds as laudable must stem from some sort of dubious motivation. Therefor, we should concede that bag skates can only ever stem from a place of insecurity and could never have any other root explanation. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

@JM_ we would probably both do best to recognize @wallstreetamigo’s superior intuition and intricate knowledge of the human  psyche. It is very clear that, and I can’t believe we missed this, any action that does not align with those that @wallstreetamigoholds as laudable must stem from some sort of dubious motivation. Therefor, we should concede that bag skates can only ever stem from a place of insecurity and could never have any other root explanation. 

oh, I've had my fights with amigo :lol:

• Haha 2