The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on. A hell of a deal set up by FA.... Win/Win

I read an article the day after the trade about what a team friendly deal it was....The consensus seems to be that BB was very interested in getting back behind an NHL bench and is, in effect, "betting on himself" to earn a more lucrative deal before that contract runs out. If he can have this team at least playing meaningful games into the final month of the season, they'll likely be looking at extending him.

Not to throw cold water on the general euphoria around here, but this sort of performance bump is very common with teams who have just changed coaches. The real test will be whether they are still playing winning hockey in a couple of weeks. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, (because I think this roster is far better than they've showed up to this point) but I gotta say, some of the comments I'm reading here are eerily reminiscent of the infamous, "John Tortarella: Best Canucks Coach Ever!" thread....:unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, aznmonk said:

I know why pety is pissed. Green was si stubborn of not allowing petey,Miller,Hughes and hogs on the pk it was because pety was reading on the subject how to pk...  it's called the power kill where your most gifted offensive players kill the penalty, put pressure on other teams pp and be in there end of the rink instead of ours.. good read  it's what shaw implements and also walker....

https://novacapsfans-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/novacapsfans.com/2020/02/19/the-anatomy-of-a-power-kill-a-session-report-from-the-columbus-blue-jackets-analytics-conference/amp/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16389616802158&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fnovacapsfans.com%2F2020%2F02%2F19%2Fthe-anatomy-of-a-power-kill-a-session-report-from-the-columbus-blue-jackets-analytics-conference%2F

Shaw probably picked that up from Torts.  I remember him wanting the Sedins to kill penalties.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'm a fan of using young stars on the PK.  The Sedins were just too slow at that point in their careers for it to be realistic.  

I might have the timelines wrong but Chubie going back to Russia & not coming back after the lockout left a huge void at center for us.

14 hours ago, Green Building said:

@-Vintage Canuck- @-DLC- 

I read through the first 30 ish pages last night and noticed a few people asking where to find post game in a format other than re-hashed Twitter clips but there was no response. Is there really no live version available for people to watch? 

Have not caught up on the last 20 pages so apologies if this has already been addressed. 

I know you're talking about live post game but I always thought updating the original post into the PGT with the post game pressers and condensed game would make it easier to find instead of Canuck to go through the pages to find them.

Pretty please? @Vintage Canuck

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read an article the day after the trade about what a team friendly deal it was....The consensus seems to be that BB was very interested in getting back behind an NHL bench and is, in effect, "betting on himself" to earn a more lucrative deal before that contract runs out. If he can have this team at least playing meaningful games into the final month of the season, they'll likely be looking at extending him.

Not to throw cold water on the general euphoria around here, but this sort of performance bump is very common with teams who have just changed coaches. The real test will be whether they are still playing winning hockey in a couple of weeks. I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, (because I think this roster is far better than they've showed up to this point) but I gotta say, some of the comments I'm reading here are eerily reminiscent of the infamous, "John Tortarella: Best Canucks Coach Ever!" thread....:unsure:

Aye Rupert... I know and totally agree. I follow Utd here on the other side of the pond, and after Solskjær they've had 2 coaches in 4 games, won 3 and drawn 1... I guess if you are looking at it statistically, around 82 + 17 coaches should gives us the cup :lol:

Seriously, yes lets wait a few weeks and take stock again. While I am pleased we now have an experienced coach coaching, I don't think a swallow or two make a summer. The contract is good for both parties, as in, if it goes to plan, BB probably won't be cheap getting an extension, or there will be other parties interested...

For Canucks, the obvious in A they get to get the playing squad evaluated by and experienced coach, and B will then know if whole sale needs to be done, when the new GM comes in...

In this scenario I'm slightly surprised they let Benning go at the same time as Green. (the surprise is more down to the support they given him over the years, although the shirt throwing and fire Benning chants kind of forced their hand).

If they get a new GM in, he can still chose his own coach, since Bruce contract only runs to the end of the season.

Regardless, I had a great time watching the LA game, and hopefully its the start of a brighter future..

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If only his hockey IQ matched his speed. And character IQ. 

Well our PK could have used some help. Too bad about his misfortunes outside of hockey. 

But I like that EP and Bo came in to help the pk. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

13 hours ago, lmm said:

I think you are spot on on the clueless remark.

That was the first time Jim showed a serious lack of understanding

He got away with asking Jason Garrison to wave his NTC 

Maybe Garrison just didn't care and thought it was a mistake trying to play in his home town

and Jim thought he could ask Hamhius at the last minute (trade deadline) and Hammy would agree.

I think ( don't know) that Jim tried to hardball Hamhius, and Hamhius dug his heels in (having a NTC) and made sure Jim got nothing for him.

First sign of Jim having a lack of couth and problem solving ability

He did get Bieksa to wave , then stopped trying with Tanev and Edler

Maybe asking Bieksa hurt Jim's ego so badly that he never wanted to go there again

His inexperience and lack of ability to be more calculative or think more critically in situations definitely contributed to his failures. 

Especially with those examples you mention, he wasn't good at dealing with players and negotiating with them in their situations like NTC's.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, tas said:

I wish I could remember which fight it was where one guy held back scotty's arms while another guy drilled him in the face mercilessly. I just remember waiting what felt like months for retribution.

that's a pretty complex emotion for a ~10 year old kid. 

I found this, btw.

f---in' michel petit.

• Cheers 1

On 12/11/2021 at 11:13 AM, tas said:

I found this, btw.

f---in' michel petit.

This sign in the stands which was ironic since both fights ended with Walker pounding Petit into the ice.

Lesson one: have teammate hold opponent’s arms.

Lesson two: flail away like a cheap wannabe.

8B2CA131-B132-448D-9C01-4EA09C865B70.jpeg

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

This sign in the stands which was ironic since both fights ended with Walker pounding Petit into the ice.

Lesson one: have teammate hold opponent’s arms.

Lesson two: flail away like a cheap wannabe.

8B2CA131-B132-448D-9C01-4EA09C865B70.jpeg

that was from their follow-up bout, right?