The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 08, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Imagine if Boudreau gets Petey back to prime Petey,  this team could turn heads. I don't know if it's just me, or has anyone else noticed Tanner Pearson more since the change.  I feel  like his forecheck has been  better. Maybe not perfect but he's definitely noticeable and not in a completely bad way.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DS4quality said:

Imagine if Boudreau gets Petey back to prime Petey,  this team could turn heads. I don't know if it's just me, or has anyone else noticed Tanner Pearson more since the change.  I feel  like his forecheck has been  better. Maybe not perfect but he's definitely noticeable and not in a completely bad way.

Green's systems always seemed to be half in and half out e.g. they would send one forechecker in and the rest would sit back. It was a very easy system to beat and likely put the team on their heels. Now with two forecheckers and the five man unit all playing up, it isn't as easy to beat. There will be breakdowns in any system but the team appears to be skating downhill now. Let's hope it continues.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

The difference is there is coordination between the two lead forecheckers, and they are hitting the blue line with more speed. 

Pearson is a solid player, nothing spectacular but he can skate, hit and shoot the puck... and if you give him linemates and a system which emphasizes those things, he will contribute.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

He's def getting opportunities of late, just hasn't capitalized 

But he's a streaky player at times, it'll come 

I've noticed them breaking up far more plays at the opposition's blueline in the past couple games. More sticks in lanes, better poke checks, going in hard on the forecheck  and causing more turnovers are all things I've noticed as well.

I wonder if Trent Cull will be able to implement his own strategies in Abbotsford now that he doesn't have to follow Green's formula?

• Cheers 2

Just now, DS4quality said:

I've noticed them breaking up far more plays at the opposition's blueline in the past couple games. More sticks in lanes, better poke checks, going in hard on the forecheck  and causing more turnovers are all things I've noticed as well.

I wonder if Trent Cull will be able to implement his own strategies in Abbotsford now that he doesn't have to follow Green's formula?

He should follow Boudreau’s

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They will come out again as soon as Boudreau loses a game

of course. It is satisfying for those of us who saw how poor the team was playing and wanted a change to see that after only 2 games, this looks like a completely different team.  They are forechecking harder, playing and moving the puck faster, puck support in all areas of the ice, challenging at both blue lines instead of retreating all the time and aggressive in our own end taking away time and space.  Obviously they were capable of playing this way but were being coached not to.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

That's an interesting thought, I hadn't even considered Abbotsford. Forgot they play a similar style to Green to ease the transition. 

We may very well see change there too. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It would certainly appear so.  Haven't seen many posts form the Green defenders lately. 

I don't understand how there can be Green defenders at this point.

JB defenders, maybe. 

This is a totally different team with the same roster different coach.

Two forecheckers up high applying pressure, and the gap between players are much smaller, i.e., better defensive support when one guy gets beat.

It's much harder for other team to gain the blue line and that forces them to dump the puck in more often.

Green had this team playing a total mess of a system. At times, it felt like we gave up the blue line on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

The guy who I am also seeing instant improvement in is Dickenson.

Under Green he looked like a tourist, unsure of his role, drifting around the ice.

Now playing with Horvat on the checking line, he has been completely rejuvenated.... he is skating hard, hitting hard, making passes and getting chances.  He still can't put the puck in the net if his life depended on it, but he is contributing.

I think this is a result of Scotty Walker... as John mentioned, Walker was his Junior coach and mentored him.  I think Walker has gone to Dickenson and reminded him of what he needs to do to succeed.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

of course. It is satisfying for those of us who saw how poor the team was playing and wanted a change to see that after only 2 games, this looks like a completely different team.  They are forechecking harder, playing and moving the puck faster, puck support in all areas of the ice, challenging at both blue lines instead of retreating all the time and aggressive in our own end taking away time and space.  Obviously they were capable of playing this way but were being coached not to.  

I can honestly say I don’t remember very many times in all the years I have watched hockey that a team has made this level of dramatic turnaround in play style, effectiveness, and cleaning up details from the first game when a coach has been replaced. It’s remarkable to me.

• Like 2

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I can honestly say I don’t remember very many times in all the years I have watched hockey that a team has made this level of dramatic turnaround in play style, effectiveness, and cleaning up details from the first game when a coach has been replaced. It’s remarkable to me.

Its normal to have a bounce and wins when the coach is changed... we need to hope the team will keep it up.

The reason I think this is different is that the systems have definitely changed... Boudreau is emphasizing aggressive play... attack the opponent in his own zone and the neutral zone.  This actually requires more effort and is harder work for the players.

Right now the Team is buying in... lets hope they continue to do so and they continue to win.

Like I said, I think we have to expect hiccups and losses...  if the Canucks can go .500 for the rest of the season, it will set a pattern which could allow them to be a contender next year.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Its normal to have a bounce and wins when the coach is changed... we need to hope the team will keep it up.

The reason I think this is different is that the systems have definitely changed... Boudreau is emphasizing aggressive play... attack the opponent in his own zone and the neutral zone.  This actually requires more effort and is harder work for the players.

Right now the Team is buying in... lets hope they continue to do so and they continue to win.

Like I said, I think we have to expect hiccups and losses...  if the Canucks can go .500 for the rest of the season, it will set a pattern which could allow them to be a contender next year.

It worked well for the Flames. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

12 minutes ago, khay said:

I don't understand how there can be Green defenders at this point.

JB defenders, maybe. 

This is a totally different team with the same roster different coach.

Two forecheckers up high applying pressure, and the gap between players are much smaller, i.e., better defensive support when one guy gets beat.

It's much harder for other team to gain the blue line and that forces them to dump the puck in more often.

Green had this team playing a total mess of a system. At times, it felt like we gave up the blue line on purpose.

I haven’t seen anyone on the forum defend Green since about game 10-15. We all saw change was needed on the bench. There were a lot of us hopeful Green could turn it around with a better roster. I was one of them. Once it was confirmed that we were playing the same type of hockey we experienced during every prior year, but especially in the COVID year the few defenders changed their views after it was evident nothing changed.

Benning is very contentious on here. I would actually like to see a poll about what people think of him. The loudest voices aren’t always the majority. I think even those who still support him would admit he’s made mistakes, but I’d guess most of the forum would be somewhere between thinking he’s a good GM and the worst GM of all time.

• Cheers 4