The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Well then how do we define best if it's only subjective to a point? How do we quanity best? Most wins?

But perhaps more importantly, what do you have against Rutherford if he does end up hiring one of his buddies? What exactly is the cause for concern? If it's because someone else doesn't get hired, why is that also a cause for concern? You haven't really specified this at all. I'm genuinely curious about this because there has to be an underlying reason for this beyond just "I don't like old people" or something, so I'm curious.

Well, if we're looking at Allvin specifically, I don't see a resume there that indicates he should have the inside track over a lot of the other candidates being discussed. One can make the argument that there are reasons that us fans simply aren't privy to that may indicate to Rutherford that he is indeed the best person for the job, but that's pure speculation. We can only make judgements based off of the information we're aware of, and of the information we're aware of, the only thing on Allvin's resume that would would give me reason to believe he's the man for the job is his connection to Rutherford. Remove that connection, and I doubt he's on anyone's shortlist.

On a more generalized level, the fact that Rutherford is eyeing several people from his Pittsburgh staff indicates to me that our "exhaustive search" for a new front office staff wasn't quite as exhaustive as we were led to believe. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Well, if we're looking at Allvin specifically, I don't see a resume there that indicates he should have the inside track over a lot of the other candidates being discussed. One can make the argument that there are reasons that us fans simply aren't privy to that may indicate to Rutherford that he is indeed the best person for the job, but that's pure speculation. We can only make judgements based off of the information we're aware of, and of the information we're aware of, the only thing on Allvin's resume that would would give me reason to believe he's the man for the job is his connection to Rutherford. Remove that connection, and I doubt he's on anyone's shortlist.

On a more generalized level, the fact that Rutherford is eyeing several people from his Pittsburgh staff indicates to me that our "exhaustive search" for a new front office staff wasn't quite as exhaustive as we were led to believe. 

Exactly.

Take out the Rutherford bias and he wouldn’t even be a top 10 candidate let alone a leading one.

My guess is a lot of potential GMs are saying no based on Rutherford stating he’ll be hands on and have final say. Someone like MacFarland will land a GM role without those conditions.

The only reason Allvin would say yes is because no other teams will be calling him and this is his best opportunity.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’d personally love to see a Defence first approach from our new GM. Build from there out as they are also the highest return when it comes to assets as well. Seeing JR go after the likes of Gudbranson, Jack Johnson, Mathason scares the living bejesus out of me. Benning couldn’t  evaluate talent on the back end either and it’s been the most frustrating position to build on the team since it has entered the league. 
Who from Nashville is available? I’d argue they have been and are one of the best at evaluating Defensive Talent. I’m confident JR can take care of the forwards.

Starting with a top 4 of Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, Myers and Schenn is better than many what many GMs are dealing with. 

And DEMKO.

DEMKO. 

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Starting with a top 4 of Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, Myers and Schenn is better than many what many GMs are dealing with. 

And DEMKO.

DEMKO. 

Myers will be 32 in under a month, 34 when his deal ends. We've got nobody in the system ready to step into his role and the player he's been this season likely isn't the player we'll be getting if we re-sign him at 34. Which we probably shouldn't. Schenn isn't a top 4D, even on a cup contender in Tampa he was a bottom pairing guy. Hughes is the only top 4D we have under age 25. OEL's been five defensively, but his offense has definitely fallen off this season. Let's not pretend our defense is better than it is. 

Myers, and likely Hamonic will need replacing sooner than later. And Hamonic's replacement will likely cost more than the 3M he's currently making. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I’m interested to see with the fragile market here, if the owner and JR get wind of the fan base not to pleased with Pittsburgh’s office just coming over. 

Would it force them to go out and hire a GM like McFarland or Tulsky etc outside of that organization (Pittsburgh). Obviously everything is hypothetical at this point but we all know who drives this team (the fans)

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If the boys are in a playoff spot at the deadline Rutherford needs to go all in on Chychrun.   Just do it Jim.  We can do a tear down rebuild in 3 years if it doesn’t work.

The ask right now is to the moon... Are you willing to give say a Podz, Rathbone and a (unprotected)1st for him?  Or Höglander, Rathbone a (unprotected) 1st & 3rd?

I think this is bare minimum... They're probably wanting even more of either picks or prospects.  

Not worth this much to me... I think JR would agree... Especially when saying he wants to keep and aquire picks not trade early rounds away.

Tryamkin anyone?

Man if the Rutherford team could convince that guy to come back.

Rutherford has loads of experience dealing with Russians. It’s just different with them.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

29 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If the boys are in a playoff spot at the deadline Rutherford needs to go all in on Chychrun.   Just do it Jim.  We can do a tear down rebuild in 3 years if it doesn’t work.

How? Do we package Poolman, Dickinson, and Person in a deal or separate deals? 

44 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

The ask right now is to the moon... Are you willing to give say a Podz, Rathbone and a (unprotected)1st for him?  Or Höglander, Rathbone a (unprotected) 1st & 3rd?

I think this is bare minimum... They're probably wanting even more of either picks or prospects.  

Not worth this much to me... I think JR would agree... Especially when saying he wants to keep and aquire picks not trade early rounds away.

33 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How? Do we package Poolman, Dickinson, and Person in a deal or separate deals? 

This was, like, 90% a joke…

…but I’d easily do something like Rathbone+Hoglander+1st with whoever (Dickinson, Poolman, etc) to balance out the cap.  He’s 23 and making 4.6 mil for 3 more years.  (Which is why his value is Eichel-like.)

• Cheers 1

Just for discussion sake, I would also be 100% behind trading any of our better top 6 pieces (Miller, Boeser) and using that return to help acquire Chychrun this offseason.  

That’s honestly the type of “rebuilding” move I’d love to see from Rutherford and co going forward. 

I’m a big “build from the net out” believer and there won’t be many opportunities to find that young, elite partner for Hughes - that has to be the priority IMO. 

Edit: could have sworn he was an RD.  Still would be an awesome pickup but not really what we need.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Tryamkin anyone?

Man if the Rutherford team could convince that guy to come back.

Theres the Myers replacement.

Rutherford has loads of experience dealing with Russians. It’s just different with them.

@Gawdzukes

Whats up? You don’t like Tryamkin?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Just for discussion sake, I would also be 100% behind trading any of our better top 6 pieces (Miller, Boeser) and using that return to help acquire Chychrun this offseason.  

That’s honestly the type of “rebuilding” move I’d love to see from Rutherford and co going forward. 

I’m a big “build from the net out” believer and there won’t be many opportunities to find that young, elite partner for Hughes - that has to be the priority IMO. 

They both play the same side unless one wants to switch. Also have OEL on that side. We should be focusing on the Right side RHD to play with Hughes. If you can get Chychrun for either one you jump all over it though. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

They both play the same side unless one wants to switch. Also have OEL on that side. We should be focusing on the Right side RHD to play with Hughes. If you can get Chychrun for either one you jump all over it though. 

Schenn is holding his own with Hughes. I’m very happy with Schenn in the top 4 with Hughes there. He complements Hughes perfectly. 

10 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Oh goodness.  

Didn’t know he was LD - totally thought the opposite.  I blame the holiday hangover. :lol:

Back to the drawing board with mission impossible.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Oh goodness.  

Didn’t know he was LD - totally thought the opposite.  I blame the holiday hangover. :lol:

Back to the drawing board with mission impossible.

I’ve been stuck on the board for a long time. Don’t think we have drafted a competent RHD since Bieksa and before that Jiri Sleger. It’s time we draft our own stud in the first and keep doing it until we hit on one. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Take out the Rutherford bias and he wouldn’t even be a top 10 candidate let alone a leading one.

My guess is a lot of potential GMs are saying no based on Rutherford stating he’ll be hands on and have final say. Someone like MacFarland will land a GM role without those conditions.

The only reason Allvin would say yes is because no other teams will be calling him and this is his best opportunity.

I agree with this, which is sad if we don't get the BEST GM candidate because Grandpa Jim and his short term 3 year deal is wanting to do what he wants...If that is the case EFF even bringing in a new GM and just let Jim do be Prez/GM. What AGM wants to become GM for the 1st time yet not get the final say as the GM....people who only care about the increase in pay is my guess OR someone who knows Grandpa Jim from the past.

Still hoping we get someone from Carolina, Tampa, Florida or Colorado to join the management group.

14 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

This is a weird conditional demand which will only set you up for failure as an expectation.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

This is a weird conditional demand which will only set you up for failure as an expectation.

If Chychrun were an RD or one of his caliber were similarly available I’d be pretty enthused to chase it rather than the slow and steady JR is preaching right now.  It’s also the type of move that’s right up his alley.