The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He has a 3 year deal. He will be going for a cup next year. Rathbone gone , this year's firsts and seconds gone.

Pittsburgh had one first rounder in 7 years. He made 59 trades in 5 years. That's a trade a month 

Next year.

Rutherford will try to make changes to go for it this year.

I have no doubt he's going to shake things up in a big way, somehow and the shakeup may very well include players we consider untouchable.

Canucks fans wanted change. We're undoubtedly going to get it.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Wickenheiser would be an interesting choice for a few reasons. Smart (she's a doctor), knows how to win, has had to work hard to get what she's earned, so I like all of that. Having JR as a mentor and guys like Gear to assist with contracts would set her up well in the job. 

I'd like to see how far she can work her way up the Leafs chain of command before I'd even consider her a viable candidate. At this point in time she would be a straight diversity hire.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Wickenheiser would be an interesting choice for a few reasons. Smart (she's a doctor), knows how to win, has had to work hard to get what she's earned, so I like all of that. Having JR as a mentor and guys like Gear to assist with contracts would set her up well in the job. 

Alexandra Mandrycky

They say the key to success as a leader is surrounding yourself with people who are smarter than you. 

Well, Alexandra Mandrycky is smarter than you. I'm sorry. She just is. 

Mandrycky holds an engineering degree from Georgia Tech, co-founded the highly influential analytics website war-on-ice.com before being hired by the Minnesota Wild as a data analyst, and now serves as director of hockey administration for the Seattle Kraken. 

If you're looking for a bright, young voice, Mandrycky is it. 

She's been in enough warm rooms to have gained the negotiation experience required of a big-league GM, navigated the Paul Fenton disaster in Minnesota which demonstrates her ability to toe the line with management, and is, above all else, a brilliant hockey mind. 

The Canucks have quietly begun building a promising analytics department behind the scenes in recent years, with the hirings of forward-thinking writers like Ryan Biech and Miles Hoaken, among others. Mandrycky would be the perfect person to lead that staff and drag the Canucks' hockey operations into the modern-day – and beyond

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/five-candidates-to-become-vancouver-canucks-gm

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd like to see how far she can work her way up the Leafs chain of command before I'd even consider her a viable candidate. At this point in time she would be a straight diversity hire.

Not sure thats a fair assessment. She's now senior director of player development, same role Smyl has had here. Add to that her playing experience and she's better than a lot of the names put out there. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, JM_ said:

Not sure thats a fair assessment. She's now senior director of player development, same role Smyl has had here. Add to that her playing experience and she's better than a lot of the names put out there. 

I would also say that Smyl was very underqualified for the role.

It's going to be impossible to ask this without sounding like a jerk, but if she had the exact same managerial experience, but was a man, would you even consider her for the role?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

Alexandra Mandrycky

They say the key to success as a leader is surrounding yourself with people who are smarter than you. 

Well, Alexandra Mandrycky is smarter than you. I'm sorry. She just is. 

Mandrycky holds an engineering degree from Georgia Tech, co-founded the highly influential analytics website war-on-ice.com before being hired by the Minnesota Wild as a data analyst, and now serves as director of hockey administration for the Seattle Kraken. 

If you're looking for a bright, young voice, Mandrycky is it. 

She's been in enough warm rooms to have gained the negotiation experience required of a big-league GM, navigated the Paul Fenton disaster in Minnesota which demonstrates her ability to toe the line with management, and is, above all else, a brilliant hockey mind. 

The Canucks have quietly begun building a promising analytics department behind the scenes in recent years, with the hirings of forward-thinking writers like Ryan Biech and Miles Hoaken, among others. Mandrycky would be the perfect person to lead that staff and drag the Canucks' hockey operations into the modern-day – and beyond

https://thehockeynews.com/.amp/news/five-candidates-to-become-vancouver-canucks-gm

interesting. I'd take her over Bergevin. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I would also say that Smyl was very underqualified for the role.

It's going to be impossible to ask this without sounding like a jerk, but if she had the exact same managerial experience, but was a man, would you even consider her for the role?

I think so. Take the name off the top of the resume:

- sports physician

- multiple Olympic medals and records

- HHOF inductee 

- senior director player development for Leaves

That doesn't scream unqualified hire to me. There may be better candidates that come forward, but I do think that earns consideration. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think so. Take the name off the top of the resume:

- sports physician

- multiple Olympic medals and records

- HHOF inductee 

- senior director player development for Leaves

That doesn't scream unqualified hire to me. There may be better candidates that come forward, but I do think that earns consideration. 

It doesn’t scream best qualified person either though. I would love to see someone like her hired as an AGM tbh. 

• Vintage 1

I understand the angst about Rutherford. I really do. At the same time, it’s interesting to me that the same people who thought infinite patience and allowing him to learn from his mistakes was what should have happened with Benning are the same ones wringing their hands in dread before Rutherfords plane even gets to Vancouver.

• Vintage 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

It doesn’t scream best qualified person either though. I would love to see someone like her hired as an AGM tbh. 

it all depends on the fit within the group. If she really clicks with JR I'm fine with some learning on the job. Its tough to find really good quality people. 

Bergevin has many years more experience, but he's ok to draft a sex offender. So experience isn't everything either.

I don't think its fair to call her just a diversity hire, I think that really discredits the work she's put in. Are there likely better candidates, yup. But we also need to see who's available AND wants to come here. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

it all depends on the fit within the group. If she really clicks with JR I'm fine with some learning on the job. Its tough to find really good quality people. 

Bergevin has many years more experience, but he's ok to draft a sex offender. So experience isn't everything either.

I don't think its fair to call her just a diversity hire, I think that really discredits the work she's put in. Are there likely better candidates, yup. But we also need to see who's available AND wants to come here. 

I didn’t call her a diversity hire. Realistically that’s how it would likely (and unfairly) be viewed by many though. The Canucks don’t need more distractions at this point. They don’t need anything that could even be mistakenly focused on as a circus act or a PR hire. They need the most qualified, experienced person they can get. 

It was bad enough with Linden and then the Sedins. Those were always going to be seen as moves to placate a frustrated fan base. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I see people complain all the time about the Canucks not being respected by the league, getting a raw deal, etc. Jim Rutherford is universally respected around the league. Whatever else he does, he will instantly significantly increase the Canucks standing and respect factor around the league. 

bingo. We haven't had this since Quinn. Burkie maybe, but he's also gained a lot of his respect since he left us. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I didn’t call her a diversity hire. Realistically that’s how it would likely (and unfairly) be viewed by many though. The Canucks don’t need more distractions at this point. They don’t need anything that could even be mistakenly focused on as a circus act or a PR hire. They need the most qualified, experienced person they can get. 

It was bad enough with Linden and then the Sedins. Those were always going to be seen as moves to placate a frustrated fan base. 

No but others did. And I'm not trying to call anyone out here, just put a case forward why I don't think thats an accurate statement.

If she is the most qualified, then I'm just fine with it. We're seeing names thrown around from other teams that I'm not sure they'd want to leave. Does Colorado's AGM really want to go elsewhere? 

Whichever woman eventually gets the GM gig is going to have to be strong enough to face the inevitable backlash from some parts of the fanbase and league, she seems like the type to be able to handle it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I see people complain all the time about the Canucks not being respected by the league, getting a raw deal, etc. Jim Rutherford is universally respected around the league. Whatever else he does, he will instantly significantly increase the Canucks standing and respect factor around the league. 

That was one of the talking points supporting Benning too.