The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lob or aerial offence.

Rate this topic

danjr

10 hours ago, EliasSkywalker said:

Jyrki Lumme of the Canucks was a master of the aerial pass for getting the puck out of trouble in his own zone when the wingers were covered or weren't open.  A good strategy with players like Pavel Bure and the Courtnalls.

Thanks   

We need to get creative on the offence people!

A new set play... Petey lifts the puck onto the blade of his stick and dumps it into Podkolzin's pants in full flight.  All 6'4" of Podz flies into the zone past the the bewildered defencemen, and with Miller in one fell motion takes the puck out of his pants, throws it onto his stick and passes it for the one-timer for Miller. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:20 AM, stawns said:

BB must be driving those who hate dump and chase hockey crazy.  They're doing it far more under him that they did under Green

Except Boudreau has used it so much more effectively than Green did. Green simply used it to get rid of pucks and kill our own offense at the same time.

I know you're not supporting Green. It's just kinda funny how ineffective of a coach he is. People are finally waking up to this after five seasons.

Edited by Dazzle

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Except Boudreau has used it so much more effectively than Green did. Green simply used it to get rid of pucks and kill our own offense at the same time.

I know you're not supporting Green. It's just kinda funny how ineffective of a coach he is. People are finally waking up to this after five seasons.

I don't think it's that BB is using it more effectively as it is the team is just executing it more effectively.  

Just now, stawns said:

I don't think it's that BB is using it more effectively as it is the team is just executing it more effectively.  

Yes, the players have to execute it. But Green has had five seasons to dump and chase too. His self-described uptempo game is not really that. Boudreau's game is truly uptempo.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, danjr said:

Don't know how many of you have been paying attention to the new system/style of play.  It is a thing of beauty.

The Aerial pass is amazing.  Lots of creative players use it for getting a breaking pass to the player when other options don't work.
Adapting it for a playing style has been something I have talked about with my friends for a while.
It is almost the best offensive system.  There are so many advantages.

#1 you force the D-men to back in way earlier.
#2 They have to look up to see where the puck is going.
#3 with the new rules they can't obstruct players rushing in.

#4 forces the D to turn earlier to see where the pucks is going to bounce to.
#5 any player can lob it in, a forward rushing up ice, or a D-man way behind the play.
The best advantages follow

#6 gives the players way more time to retrieve it, rather than dump and chase where it's usually slapped in.
#7 bounces.  You can't predict where the puck will bounce.  The d-man has to look for this puck, when all his career he's been told to watch the man.  The advantage goes to the skater, he can scan for the puck going forward, but the d-man has to watch the man or the puck, not both.

#8 which no one has used yet, is dropping it into the no-go-zone.  This takes the goalie out of making a play on the puck, especially those goalies who are such good puck handlers like Mike Smith.

Disadvantages.
A. You give up the puck

B. You don't know exactly where it is going to go.
C. intense puck battles to retrieve it more often.
D. dangerous pass on occasion.

E. outmanned on occasion

This system/style of play is a long time in coming.  I am so curious why no one has implemented it as of yet.  Teams with amazing speed would do well with it.  Oilers with McDavid (me being in Alberta wonders daily, why don't they let him loose.  This system in my opinion has more advantages when used properly than most other systems.  Though I am not a coach.
Watching tonight's game versus Carolina showed me once again how good it is, when someone dumped a puck to the blue line.  The D-man failed to knocked it down in front of him.  Podz grabbed it and almost walked in.  It's plays like that show how good talented team could take advantage of those bounces.

Let me know your observations

I'd rather see the players work harder to get themselves positioned to be open  plus faster shorter passes are less likely to get picked off and more time for a player to get back to cover if something goes sideways.. 

I haven't watched the red wings as much as I used to but they were extremy good at it and had a fair amount of success using it just like the Wayne Gretz. oilers used to do as well. 

Quick and easy faster passing would serve this team well, hope BB bring that in. 

On 12/14/2021 at 10:34 AM, HKSR said:

We need to get creative on the offence people!

A new set play... Petey lifts the puck onto the blade of his stick and dumps it into Podkolzin's pants in full flight.  All 6'4" of Podz flies into the zone past the the bewildered defencemen, and with Miller in one fell motion takes the puck out of his pants, throws it onto his stick and passes it for the one-timer for Miller. 

Podz isn't 6'4.. (I wish!) 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, iceman64 said:

I'd rather see the players work harder to get themselves positioned to be open  plus faster shorter passes are less likely to get picked off and more time for a player to get back to cover if something goes sideways.. 

I haven't watched the red wings as much as I used to but they were extremy good at it and had a fair amount of success using it just like the Wayne Gretz. oilers used to do as well. 

Quick and easy faster passing would serve this team well, hope BB bring that in. 

That's been my gripe for awhile and often time is well telegraphed and only recently did they even start to clean that up but needs a lot more work still..

It's a good tactic to have in the mix:  one way to beat the trap, lock and general clogging of the neutral zone without the same risks as the stretch pass.  And I think our forwards are actually pretty good at puck retrieval.  But it's not a substitute for puck support on the breakout.  Controlled exits and entries are always better, but when you can't, lobs have their place.

If you can get good at mortering a puck between the opposing teams forwards and defense, it can be very effective If the forwards are pressuring deep.  However, if you serve up a muffin, you are in trouble.  also, putting it over the glass isnt impossible.  I do it all the time in beer-league, 50% of the time, works every time.

Edited by derr12