The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Dec. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear what JR is saying but don’t understand how trading guys who play for us now for draft picks (like Miller, or Bo, or whomever for picks) will make us better in two years?  Doesn’t it usually take picks several years to get as good as guys like Miller and Bo?  

Im seeing another retool coming.  JR has two years to get us back into the playoffs.  The thing is, I think we are really close to being really good.  We need bottom six forwards who can play fast, and contribute on th3 score sheet.  I think our goalies, D, and top forwards are good.  

So what does JR do to get us to where he wants us to be, and quickly?  Pearson?  Dickinson?  

I think it will be unloading redundant vets like Hamonic, Pearson, and Dickinson that will be the quick fix.

Rutherford talked about needing more depth on D and a better bottom 6. I think that will be the focus.

We may see Miller or Boeser traded but that may depend more on cap space and what their ask is.

39 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The only question then is timing. Either trade deadline or this upcoming draft.  Maybe a bit of both.

I fully expect trades at tdl and the draft.. no question in my mind there will be movement at those times..

I also expect a trade in January. A smaller deal but there will be a trade.. I think JR will upgrade our bottom 6 forward group pretty soon here.. he'll trade for more offense and more size on bottom 6 soon. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hear what JR is saying but don’t understand how trading guys who play for us now for draft picks (like Miller, or Bo, or whomever for picks) will make us better in two years?  Doesn’t it usually take picks several years to get as good as guys like Miller and Bo?  

Im seeing another retool coming.  JR has two years to get us back into the playoffs.  The thing is, I think we are really close to being really good.  We need bottom six forwards who can play fast, and contribute on th3 score sheet.  I think our goalies, D, and top forwards are good.  

So what does JR do to get us to where he wants us to be, and quickly?  Pearson?  Dickinson?  

I don't think he's trading Horvat or Miller any time soon. Not this season or this off-season. Maybe Miller goes next seasons tdl..

I think he'll trade guys lower down on the totem pole for picks and similar younger players. 

He also needs for offense, speed and size on bottom 6 forwards. He likely trades for upgrades there first.. 

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I believe I'll pass. I'm not even into a polar bear swim.

Every Jan my karate club would do a 45min 'beach practice' no matter what the weather. Bare foot in snow at -5 was fun one year.

It would always end with a polar bear swim. I did this for years.

I am still not into the polar bear swim. I still disagree with my damn traditional nut bar Sensei !

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

“If we make trades, you know, it’ll be for draft picks, it’ll be for younger players, so we can bring this team together hopefully within a year or two to be that consistent playoff team,” Rutherford added. “It will be a much different approach for me [than with the Penguins.]”

Jim Rutherford earlier on SN650

he's looking at 2 years down the road to become a consistent playoff team.. Not a rebuild but only getting younger and adding draft picks..

so same as JB

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

so same as JB

Except JB traded picks for fringe NHLers in the 23-26 age range (early on).

Sounds like Rutherford wants to gain picks and will only trade for younger players.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

so same as JB

JB just traded away his 1st round pick last draft and 2nd   upcoming draft.. 

JR is saying he's not trading away top picks.. he's looking to trade FOR top round picks...

So opposite of JB..

JR thinks there are a lot of holes on this team.. he's looking to get younger and gain picks..  JB was trading away picks because he thought team was transitioning into a contender..

Opposite of JBs assessment of this team...

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

so same as JB

JB said he could retool/rebuild on the fly with an aging core.

JR said he's willing to build a long-term contender, even if it takes a bit. He also recognizes that there are a lot of young pieces already in place. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Except JB traded picks for fringe NHLers in the 23-26 age range (early on).

Sounds like Rutherford wants to gain picks and will only trade for younger players.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

JB said he could retool/rebuild on the fly with an aging core.

JR said he's willing to build a long-term contender, even if it takes a bit. He also recognizes that there are a lot of young pieces already in place. 

It'll be kind of hard to acquire good young players and acquire draft picks without giving anything up. Almost all new GM's say this. We'll see how long that lasts.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

It'll be kind of hard to acquire good young players and acquire draft picks without giving anything up. Almost all new GM's say this. We'll see how long that lasts.

What this means is that at some point tough decisions are coming on certain players on our roster.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

What this means is that at some point tough decisions are coming on certain players on our roster.

Yeah, as in don't be surprised if core players are traded or the team is stripped in the short term. JB had the same plan in the beginning. He didn't really trade away that many picks imo until the Miller trade. I'm just curious if and when he does end up trading picks. He's certainly no stranger to it.

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, as in don't be surprised if core players are traded or the team is stripped in the short term. JB had the same plan in the beginning. He didn't really trade away that many picks imo until the Miller trade. I'm just curious if and when he does end up trading picks. He's certainly no stranger to it.

The big ones I could see are Miller, Boeser or both. Then lesser players afterwards like Hamonic/Pearson/etc. Not sure when he decides to make these sort of moves. He has a lot of time.

Maybe once the prospect pool is deep enough. Right now it's pretty bare. A good prospect pool gives you a lot of flexibility. It gives you an influx of young players on a yearly basis and can be used as a trade chip when a big name gets put on the market.

Benning traded a bunch of picks and prospects prior to Miller after afterwards. Baer, Gudbranson, Dorsett, Pedan, Vey, Clendening were all acquired for picks and/or prospects. That scratches the surface.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it should be acknowledged why the prospect cupboard is bare.........because many of his picks, who are still very young players, are playing in the NHL.

Yup with majority of them being forwards. Graduations are one of the reasons

We've lost quite a picks and prospects last few years that are the other big reason are pool is bare atm. Miller trade, Toffoli trade and OEL/Garland trade. Losing Gadjo to waivers and Lind to the expansion draft didn't help either. 

Haven't had many early picks the last 2 drafts + graduates point toward our prospect pool being bare. Also the graduates have mostly been forwards. We haven't drafted as many defense as forwards and the long-term look of our D-core isn't great. Need to improve on age and talent at D if we are to create a long-term contender.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No?  Pretty sure JB said 2 years

Didn't JB said he can rebuild/retool on the fly when he started with an aging core? He also traded picks for guys like Dorsett, Pedan, Vey, Baer, etc to try to kickstart the rebuild.

Most of our core is under 25 years old. Most of the pieces are already in place. We would be trying to gain picks and prospects, not trade them.