The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's not reasonable at all to be honest. Every single player goes through a slump throughout their career. Ovechkin, Crosby, Matthews, Stamkos, MacKinnon and the list goes on and on and on. You've watched him play, you've seen what he has done before, so why worry? We are witnessing what most likely will end up being the lowest point of his career right now. 

Petey is the last name on the trade block. You don't move your 23 year old 1st line center even if that player isn't playing up to par at the moment. He's not a liability and he's not hurting the team. That in itself is a gross miss understanding of asset management in pro sports and an insane risk to take. Nobody in their right mind would even consider it at this point. 

I appreciate posting and lurking on these boards but sometimes I am left baffled and with my mouth wide open. This is one of those moments. 

Be worried all you want, the kid is a gamer and will turn it around. There is absolutely nothing saying he won't. 

EPs in his fourth season - that's when most NHLers either breakout or don't.  Not all of them of course.   But it's a pretty safe bet at this point, he's not there yet, and yes of course he's only 23.   Fortunately he's got two other C's carrying the load too.    And don't want to pop your bubble, but there are plenty of examples of players that didn't live up to their hype. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When do players who have put up close to a point per game in their first two seasons suddenly become duds?

He’s going through a slump. Jesus Christ people love to overreact on here!

Dude. He has been terrible all season and wasn’t that great last year. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to succeed and I said if he turned to a dud. Relax

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When do players who have put up close to a point per game in their first two seasons suddenly become duds?

He’s going through a slump. Jesus Christ people love to overreact on here!

Lots go through it. He's being more physical, putting in the time at practice, playing well on the pk. I think he would benefit under Bruce on the lotto line. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

EPs in his fourth season - that's when most NHLers either breakout or don't.  Not all of them of course.   But it's a pretty safe bet at this point, he's not there yet, and yes of course he's only 23.   Fortunately he's got two other C's carrying the load too.    And don't want to pop your bubble, but there are plenty of examples of players that didn't live up to their hype. 

Nathan MacKinnon didn't break out until his 5th year in the NHL.  He wasn't even close to a point per game guy until he was 23.  And he was a 1st overall pick.

Petey won the Calder and averaged a point per game from his very first season.  He has all the tools to be a #1 centre.  Let's see what he does in the second half of this season.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nathan MacKinnon didn't break out until his 5th year in the NHL.  He wasn't even close to a point per game guy until he was 23.  And he was a 1st overall pick.

Petey won the Calder and averaged a point per game from his very first season.  He has all the tools to be a #1 centre.  Let's see what he does in the second half of this season.

So your saying that peteys starting point for negotiations in his contract year will start at 10m per year? Maybe Benning just paying him in advance? So when he becomes established a little bit older he can take a discount? 

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

This is the worst we've seen him play yet he is still 0.5 pts per game. 

I believe Petey has already lived up to his hype by winning in the SHL and winning the Calder. 

Guys that dont pan out has neither scored nearly a pt/game or won the calder in the NHL. 

To me this is a super long slump where a young player has lost his confidence and is overthinking everything. 

Do you actually think this is it for Petey? What you see this year is what he is? 

Look at the list of calder winners. 

That's good company  unless you think he might be the first bust out of that group. 

Also, i hope Petey remembers this moment 3 years from now when he is up for renewal. 

Sign a fair deal and dont add undue pressure by squeezing every dollar possible. 

I personally think if he signed a fair deal earlier in the summer, he would be coasting right now. 

Instead he maximized revenue and came in with a ton of pressure and im sure he wanted to prove to everyone he is worth it so he is not playing like himself. 

25 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

So your saying that peteys starting point for negotiations in his contract year will start at 10m per year? Maybe Benning just paying him in advance? So when he becomes established a little bit older he can take a discount? 

I would say if he gets back to being a point per game guy and hits 90 points then yes his next contract will be $10 million+...

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also, i hope Petey remembers this moment 3 years from now when he is up for renewal. 

Sign a fair deal and dont add undue pressure by squeezing every dollar possible. 

I personally think if he signed a fair deal earlier in the summer, he would be coasting right now. 

Instead he maximized revenue and came in with a ton of pressure and im sure he wanted to prove to everyone he is worth it so he is not playing like himself. 

$7 million for 3 years was a fair deal for a Calder trophy winner who was averaging a point per game...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Calder Memorial Trophy Winners:

2021: Kirill Kaprizov, Minnesota Wild

2020: Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche

2019: Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks

2018: Mathew Barzal , New York Islanders 

2017: Auston Matthews , Toronto Maple Leafs

2016: Artemi Panarin, Chicago Blackhawks

2015: Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers

2014: Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche

2013: Jonathan Huberdeau, Florida Panthers

2012: Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche

2011: Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

2010: Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres

2009: Steve Mason, Columbus Blue Jackets

2008: Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks

2007: Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins

2006: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

2004: Andrew Raycroft, Boston Bruins 

2003: Barret Jackman, St. Louis Blues

2002: Dany Heatley, Atlanta Thrashers 

2001: Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks

2000: Scott Gomez, New Jersey Devils 

1999: Chris Drury, Colorado Avalanche

1998: Sergei Samsonov, Boston Bruins 

1997: Bryan Berard, New York Islanders

1996: Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators

1995: Peter Forsberg, Quebec Nordiques

1994: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils

1993: Teemu Selanne, Winnipeg Jets

1992: Pavel Bure, Vancouver Canucks

There may be a few duds in there but 90% of those guys turned out to be all stars and at least 50% of them superstars...

I have faith that Petey will be in the super star category in the next 2-3 years...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Calder Memorial Trophy Winners:

2021: Kirill Kaprizov, Minnesota Wild

2020: Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche

2019: Elias Pettersson, Vancouver Canucks

2018: Mathew Barzal , New York Islanders 

2017: Auston Matthews , Toronto Maple Leafs

2016: Artemi Panarin, Chicago Blackhawks

2015: Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers

2014: Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche

2013: Jonathan Huberdeau, Florida Panthers

2012: Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche

2011: Jeff Skinner, Carolina Hurricanes

2010: Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres

2009: Steve Mason, Columbus Blue Jackets

2008: Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks

2007: Evgeni Malkin, Pittsburgh Penguins

2006: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals

2004: Andrew Raycroft, Boston Bruins 

2003: Barret Jackman, St. Louis Blues

2002: Dany Heatley, Atlanta Thrashers 

2001: Evgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks

2000: Scott Gomez, New Jersey Devils 

1999: Chris Drury, Colorado Avalanche

1998: Sergei Samsonov, Boston Bruins 

1997: Bryan Berard, New York Islanders

1996: Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa Senators

1995: Peter Forsberg, Quebec Nordiques

1994: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils

1993: Teemu Selanne, Winnipeg Jets

1992: Pavel Bure, Vancouver Canucks

There may be a few duds in there but 90% of those guys turned out to be all stars and at least 50% of them superstars...

I have faith that Petey will be in the super star category in the next 2-3 years...

That's a more impressive list than a #1 draft pick list, isn't it?!!!  Interestingly though, Boeser was close to winning and unfortunately I don't have the same hope for him in terms of meeting his value cost wise.

11 hours ago, -DLC- said:

So you've changed your tune....go back and read what you said about him when he entered.  Not quite the same.

He was injured/off and now is having trouble finding his game again.  But stay consistent if you're demanding that he do so.

You go back and see what I said. No changing of tune here.