The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Evander Kane

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Kane needs to prove himself inside the expectations of teams to prove he can finish what really should be a remarkable career.

it’s a shame, and in hindsight, that his Career didn’t start with the Canucks.

A favorited player out of the home based Giants, memorable times of that Memorial Cup Run.  

I don’t think Maclean in Atlanta did him any favours by not having him season properly in the minors..  a boy in a man’s world growing up in Atlanta.

Roughly .70 ppg in his career, and finishing strong, hope to see him continue and contribute even more to the community learning from any past mistakes he’s made.

I think it’s a very short term risk for any organization that takes him on.

good luck EK.

I think if Kane had started his career in Vancouver it would have been a disaster. Sure he may have had a chance to develop some decent people skills, but in reality he would have run rough shod over the Sedins, who practice silent lead by example type mentoring.

Kane is one of the few in players I've ever seen who can single handedly destroy team chemistry and cohesiveness. Add to that his constant off ice issues. Guy is a real P.O.S. 

I thought Ken Holland's presser was pathetic. Trying to groom the media by talking about second chances etc. Edmonton fans should be embarrassed that their front office thinks McDavid deserves Kane as a teammate. 

39 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Meanwhile we grew up with the Proberts, Mactavishs ,  Heatlys,  whose careers should probably ended on single conviction incidents.

Crazy world JM.

I think lumping Kane in with those guys is a disservice. Having a drug problem or getting in a car accident is way different than...plus if I was paid to basically knock guys out on the biggest stage in north America I would probably develop some side effects too 

But Kane?

- flaunting cash during a lockout

- showing up late to practice

- wearing tracksuits in spite of dress codes

- domestic assault

- lieing about a vaccine passport during a world pandemic

- crossing a border on your own terms.

I'm sure there's more that his teammates won't say.

I agree the guys you listed had problems. But Kanes problem has always been between the ears. Guy is a career prick. A bad egg. I've met guys like that and they don't change they just blame the world around them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think lumping Kane in with those guys is a disservice. Having a drug problem or getting in a car accident is way different than...plus if I was paid to basically knock guys out on the biggest stage in north America I would probably develop some side effects too 

But Kane?

- domestic assault

I agree the guys you listed had problems. But Kanes problem has always been between the ears. Guy is a career prick. A bad egg. I've met guys like that and they don't change they just blame the world around them.

Classic pathology of a sociopath.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I think if Kane had started his career in Vancouver it would have been a disaster. Sure he may have had a chance to develop some decent people skills, but in reality he would have run rough shod over the Sedins, who practice silent lead by example type mentoring.

Kane is one of the few in players I've ever seen who can single handedly destroy team chemistry and cohesiveness. Add to that his constant off ice issues. Guy is a real P.O.S. 

I thought Ken Holland's presser was pathetic. Trying to groom the media by talking about second chances etc. Edmonton fans should be embarrassed that their front office thinks McDavid deserves Kane as a teammate. 

The Sedin era,.  No answer to Duncan Keith,.

repetitious assaults by Brad Marchand,.  and so many more ..

Id like to imagine what a team would look like with a true “wing” man on their side?

MacDavid has recently come out and endorsed Kane himself..

but what do either of us really know about hockey?

perhaps we leave the real life decisions to them.

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

But Kane?

- domestic assault

C7831802-2DD2-4D35-95EF-5ED4C74B0F33.thumb.jpeg.5fc54fa866c7321df75584cfc563cfae.jpegA2EAE7DD-0AC5-4706-93A1-8272B397561C.thumb.jpeg.4b05192724023463819110376df371b0.jpeg42A89AF7-B9B8-421F-AEB3-4AAE11CE9386.thumb.jpeg.d599e75f2fa293c65cc0dc769395a11f.jpeg2D9D82B2-07A8-43E9-9302-143B9CB838B4.thumb.jpeg.d94560c91025731534ec79a32a9fd313.jpeg

it’s all entertainment,  including hockey.

Edited by SilentSam
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

The Sedin era,.  No answer to Duncan Keith,.

repetitious assaults by Brad Marchand,.  and so many more ..

Id like to imagine what a team would look like with a true “wing” man on their side?

MacDavid has recently come out and endorsed Kane himself..

but what do either of us really know about hockey?

perhaps we leave the real life decisions to them.

Well what do you expect him to say if your GM tells you he might be a teammate soon? Could you imagine if McJesus told the truth?

"Kane? Yeah that guys a joke. A P.O.S, sure hop he doesn't land here" "oh wait.. he might land here?" "Oh well then I don't really care what anyone thinks. He's a stand up guy and I can't wait to see him in Orange"  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

C7831802-2DD2-4D35-95EF-5ED4C74B0F33.thumb.jpeg.5fc54fa866c7321df75584cfc563cfae.jpegA2EAE7DD-0AC5-4706-93A1-8272B397561C.thumb.jpeg.4b05192724023463819110376df371b0.jpeg42A89AF7-B9B8-421F-AEB3-4AAE11CE9386.thumb.jpeg.d599e75f2fa293c65cc0dc769395a11f.jpeg2D9D82B2-07A8-43E9-9302-143B9CB838B4.thumb.jpeg.d94560c91025731534ec79a32a9fd313.jpeg

Lol! Kane making a mistake and then trying to defend it by showing others who also made the same mistake ..you do see the hypocrisy right? And complete failure to accept his mistake. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

But Kane?

- domestic assault

Drug problems and car accidents?

Probert went to jail for trafficking Cocaine across the border.

Heatley and Mactavish killed other humans driving while intoxicated,.  All continued to play the game.

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Lol! Kane making a mistake and then trying to defend it by showing others who also made the same mistake ..you do see the hypocrisy right? And complete failure to accept his mistake. 

Maybe he got the idea from them?

why not?  What’s the outrage?

flaunting money?

posing with money?

Theres a law for that too ?

Social media thrives on photo ops..

Crazy times.

Edited by SilentSam

Drug problems and car accidents?

Probert went to jail for trafficking Cocaine across the border.

Heatley and Mactavish killed other humans driving while intoxicated,.  All continued to play the game.

Im having trouble understanding your motives. You keep trying to defend Kane by pointing the finger at other people. Like that is somehow a defense for his actions. You do know your logic is flawed right?  

I mean if you're ok with Kane as a human being then I agree to disagree. And I'm thankful he has never put on a Nucks jersey

• Cheers 1

Just now, JayDangles said:

Im having trouble understanding your motives. You keep trying to defend Kane by pointing the finger at other people. Like that is somehow a defense for his actions. You do know your logic is flawed right?  

I mean if you're ok with Kane as a human being then I agree to disagree. And I'm thankful he has never put on a Nucks jersey

Well he hasn’t killed any one, has no drug problems,  anything assault related he took to courts , all were thrown out without merit.

So the precedent is you can break the drug laws , kill people , and play the game..

but you can’t get into mischief , it’s a career ender?

I know where I stand..  and I’m not hurt by any of this.

are you?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

People who watch hockey don't like to be entertained, there's a reason hockey doesn't generate as much revenue as other sports, the players aren't that marketable.  The players are expected to be "good ol Canadian boy" zero personality robots like toews and crosby.  Expressive players like Subban, Ovie always have had their haters amongst the masses due to not fitting that mold. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Well he hasn’t killed any one, has no drug problems,  anything assault related he took to courts , all were thrown out without merit.

So the precedent is you can break the drug laws , kill people , and play the game..

but you can’t get into mischief , it’s a career ender?

I know where I stand..  and I’m not hurt by any of this.

are you?

No I'm good. I guess in reality the difference is everyone you mentioned, to my recollection admitted or atoned for their mistakes, even if they weren't punished they moved on and salvaged a real career. Like Kassian. And that's what they were, mistakes.

Kane, to my knowledge has not owned his behaviour, at least to the point where he was visually changed his ways. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

People who watch hockey don't like to be entertained, there's a reason hockey doesn't generate as much revenue as other sports, the players aren't that marketable.  The players are expected to be "good ol Canadian boy" zero personality robots like toews and crosby.  Expressive players like Subban, Ovie always have had their haters amongst the masses due to not fitting that mold. 

There's a difference between being entertaining and just being a total dick. Kane is not Subban or Ovi and I bet your the first person to ever use them as a comparison. I like Subban, Ovi, Kucherov etc. It's good to see personalities shine through sometimes. As far as I'm concerned Kane is a bad bet for any team, especially a team north of the border.

• Cheers 1

Just now, .Naslund said:

Agree with you.  But I’m sure we’ve both watched the game evolve on many levels,. This is just another one of those levels.

John Scott perhaps helped the league realize the multi tiered level of the sport by “reluctantly” allowing him to be included in The All star game..  but the league really dosent know how to leverage anything.

there are always going to be athletes who don’t act like most fans want them to..

discerning what IS truly wrong , from what really IS NOT , is sometimes a lot of time wasted.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Actually his logic is perfect.

It has nothing to do with whether Kane is a douchebag or not.  There has to be some sort of precedent for the level of punishment he got.  They terminated a guaranteed contract worth over $22 million dollars.

The reason other players come into this is they played isn’t he same league and under the same SPCs.  If Heatley doesn’t get his contract voided for being found criminally guilty of vehicular homicide… how does that make it reasonable to give a far greater punishment for Kane violating a travel policy?  His counsel will absolutely bring those other incidents in arbitration and San Jose has to be able to defend their position.  The burden of proof is on them and it is a high standard because the punishment the meted out was probably the biggest in league history.  Has anyone else lost out on over $22 million for a policy infraction?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Meanwhile we grew up with the Proberts, Mactavishs ,  Heatlys,  whose careers should probably ended on single conviction incidents.

Crazy world JM.

different times tho. We just didn't really talk about things then. 

For me, I know where my line is with Kane (counselling first, then joining the team), and its OK that its different from others. I don't think people should be attacked for wanting him here, but I also get why they don't. 

But having said that if I had my preference I'd take Shea Weber over anyone. There's a guy that knows how to play the right way, bring toughness and not end up in the headlines for the wrong stuff. 

• Cheers 3

Agree with you.  But I’m sure we’ve both watched the game evolve on many levels,. This is just another one of those levels.

John Scott perhaps helped the league realize the multi tiered level of the sport by “reluctantly” allowing him to be included in The All star game..  but the league really dosent know how to leverage anything.

there are always going to be athletes who don’t act like most fans want them to..

discerning what IS truly wrong , from what really IS NOT , is sometimes a lot of time wasted.

From the NHL update Vintage posted a while back it’s looking like Kane is going to face more consequences from the league for Covid protocol violations.  He had the 21 game suspension already, so I see him getting suspended for the rest of this year. 

Can guys suspended from the NHL play in the KHL?  

• Cheers 1